Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Nate Bargmann

Default Theming GTK tooltips

Due to a piece of software not packaged for Debian, I've been forced to
use the Raleigh theme in GTK apps due to a conflict between a component
called Lazaraus and the QTCurve theme preferred for GTK apps in KDE4.
I can generally live with the look except for the tooltips with appear
as black on grey and tend to blend into the rest of the widgets.

At one time I had solved this but something seems to have changed and
I'm not sure what. I have the following in my ~.gtkrc-2.0:

$ cat .gtkrc-2.0
style "tooltip" {
bg[NORMAL] = "#FBF7B0"
fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
}

widget "gtk-tooltip" style "tooltip"

But there is no change from the default. It seems some subtle changes
have been made to later GTK versions but I've yet to find how many
chickens to kill during the new moon to get this to work.

- Nate >>

Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 07:05:02 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

(...)

> At one time I had solved this but something seems to have changed and
> I'm not sure what. I have the following in my ~.gtkrc-2.0:
>
> $ cat .gtkrc-2.0
> style "tooltip" {
> bg[NORMAL] = "#FBF7B0"
> fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
> }
>
> widget "gtk-tooltip" style "tooltip"
>

> But there is no change from the default. It seems some subtle changes
> have been made to later GTK versions but I've yet to find how many
> chickens to kill during the new moon to get this to work.

Hum... test with:

***
style "tooltip" {
bg[NORMAL] = "#FBF7B0"
fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
}

widget "*gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip"
***

Note the "asterisks" (*). And relogin.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:14:06 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> But there is no change from the default. It seems some subtle changes
>> have been made to later GTK versions but I've yet to find how many
>> chickens to kill during the new moon to get this to work.
>
> Hum... test with:
>
> ***
> style "tooltip" {
> bg[NORMAL] = "#FBF7B0"
> fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
> }
>
> widget "*gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip"
> ***
>
> Note the "asterisks" (*). And relogin.

That seems not working :-P

O.k. it seems the right code should be:

***
style "tooltip" {
bg[NORMAL] = "#FBF7B0"
fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
}

widget "gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip"
***

(note the last "asterisk", there must be only one)

And run "killall nautilus gnome-panel" in gnome-terminal (no need to
restart your session). The changes should automatically apply.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [2010 Jan 11 13:54 -0600]:
> widget "gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip"
> ***
>
> (note the last "asterisk", there must be only one)

Thanks, Camaleó, that works just as I wanted it to!

- Nate >>

Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> [2010 Jan 11 17:27 -0600]:
> * Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> [2010 Jan 11 13:54 -0600]:
> > widget "gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip"
> > ***
> >
> > (note the last "asterisk", there must be only one)
>
> Thanks, Camaleó, that works just as I wanted it to

I guess I wrote too soon. After restarting X I note that the original
packge picks up the custom tooltip colors just fine while any and all
Debian packaged GTK apps that I've tried still have the default black
on grey which is quite mystifying. It's almost as though they ignore
~.gtkrc-2.0

Strange as this persists even after logging out and restarting X.

- Nate >>

Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:40:22 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * Nate Bargmann [2010 Jan 11 17:27 -0600]:
>> * Camaleón [2010 Jan 11 13:54 -0600]:
>> > widget "gtk-tooltip*" style "tooltip" ***
>> >
>> > (note the last "asterisk", there must be only one)
>>
>> Thanks, Camaleó, that works just as I wanted it to
>
> I guess I wrote too soon. After restarting X I note that the original
> packge picks up the custom tooltip colors just fine while any and all
> Debian packaged GTK apps that I've tried still have the default black on
> grey which is quite mystifying. It's almost as though they ignore
> ~.gtkrc-2.0
>
> Strange as this persists even after logging out and restarting X.

Hum... maybe the package is not looking into "~/.gtkrc-2.0" and only
reads the global file of the current GTK style :-?

Tip: you can try to tweak "Raleigh" theme and change only the tooltip
style and see if that also works in the program. I think it is located
under "/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc".

Make a backup copy of the original GTK theme before tweaking anything.

Tip 2: if that also does not work, try by using another theme. It seems
Raleigh is a bit simple and does not make use of an "engine" so you can't
tweak so much here.

In fact, the "gtkrc" file of that theme just says:

#
# This theme is the default theme if no other theme is selected.
#

No more, no less :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Nate Bargmann

As it turns out, the real problem was the nut connecting the keyboard
to the chair.

After poking, looking, searching and finally trying various GTK apps in
different user accounts, I discovered that the KDE setting to apply KDE
colors to non-KDE apps was the culprit.

All is now understood and working correctly.

- Nate >>