Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Jari Fredriksson

Default Java plugins in 64bit Debian

I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
default gcj based default Java.

When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
with download button.

I installed that, but nothing changes.

Using update-java-alternatives talks about missing firefox.plugin.so or
something similar, no matter which of the alternatives I pick.

Where can those plugin shared libraries can be get? Downloading JRE from
Sun does not install them.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You will step on the night soil of many countries.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Camaleˇn

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:00:14 +0200, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
> default gcj based default Java.
>
> When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
> prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
> with download button.
>
> I installed that, but nothing changes.
>
> Using update-java-alternatives talks about missing firefox.plugin.so or
> something similar, no matter which of the alternatives I pick.
>
> Where can those plugin shared libraries can be get? Downloading JRE from
> Sun does not install them.

I've got installed the following packages:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep sun
ii sun-java6-bin 6-12-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-jre 6-12-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (ar
ii sun-java6-plugin 6-12-1 The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6

So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.

Greetings,

--
Camaleˇn

Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
"Jari Fredriksson"

> So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camale├│n

Thanks, works now! That was it.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Jari Fredriksson

On 11.1.2010 11:12, Camale´┐Żn wrote:

> So maybe you are missing the "sun-java6-plugin" package.

Thanks, Java works now in the browser!

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Your life would be very empty if you had nothing to regret.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 11:00:14AM +0200, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I installed a Debian Lenny (amd64), and sun-jdk in addition to the
> default gcj based default Java.
>
> When I access Java content with Firefox (or is IceWeasel) the browsed
> prompts me to install JDK... Clicking the prompt shows Sun's website
> with download button.

for some reason we (the user of debian) are being pushed to use icedtea
and its java plugin, I don't have a problem with this except for the
fact that the plugin isn't a drop in replacement for the sun plugin, but
its turning into a grin and bear it.

as has been answered in other emails, you need the sun*plugin package

and you need to set the java alternative to sun

--
"We do know that Saddam Hussein had the intent and the capabilities to cause great harm. We know he was a great danger... What we don't know yet is what we thought and what the Iraqi Survey Group has found, and we want to look at that."

- George W. Bush
02/02/2004
Washington, DC

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-11 at 15:32:54 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> for some reason we (the user of debian) are being pushed to use icedtea
> and its java plugin, I don't have a problem with this except for the
> fact that the plugin isn't a drop in replacement for the sun plugin, but
> its turning into a grin and bear it.

Sun Java is not "free" in the sense of "freedom". In other words, it does
not meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). That is also why
Sun Java is relegated to the "non-free" portion of the Debian archive.
Unless and until Sun decides to release their software under a license
that meets the standards of the DFSG, it will never be the default java
code on a Debian system. That is pretty much guaranteed by the Debian
Social Contract.

If you want Sun Java, you'll have to install it yourself.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 03:56:13PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On 2010-01-11 at 15:32:54 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> > for some reason we (the user of debian) are being pushed to use icedtea
> > and its java plugin, I don't have a problem with this except for the
> > fact that the plugin isn't a drop in replacement for the sun plugin, but
> > its turning into a grin and bear it.
>
> Sun Java is not "free" in the sense of "freedom". In other words, it does
> not meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG). That is also why
> Sun Java is relegated to the "non-free" portion of the Debian archive.
> Unless and until Sun decides to release their software under a license
> that meets the standards of the DFSG, it will never be the default java
> code on a Debian system. That is pretty much guaranteed by the Debian
> Social Contract.

I am not arguing that, and I agree with what you have said about them
making it free.

The issue is the icedtea plugin is touted as a replacement for the sun
plugin, and it clearly doesn't work properly

Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-11 at 16:04:26 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> I am not arguing that, and I agree with what you have said about them
> making it free.
>
> The issue is the icedtea plugin is touted as a replacement for the sun
> plugin, and it clearly doesn't work properly

I hear you. Of course, there is a Sun plugin too, and you have to install
that yourself as well, which may mean de-installing other software to
avoid conflicts.

At the risk of "hijacking" a thread, I had a similar
problem with Flash player plugins. The "free" and default flash player
for Etch was constantly crashing my browser. With Lenny it was much
more reliable, and it would play a higher percentage of flash plugins
correctly, but it still didn't play some of them correctly. At present,
there are two pieces of non-free software that I typically install.
One is Sun Java. The other is Adobe Flash Player. Philosophically,
I much prefer free software. But I'm enough of a pragmatist that I
install those two pieces of software because the "it works" feature
is the most important thing to me.

Writers of free software are often at a distinct disadvantage.
The format of the data files is often proprietary and undocumented.
They literally have to guess at the format. Sometimes they guess right
and sometimes they don't. If web page creators would use free and open
formats for their web content, it would help. But when they use
proprietary tools to create the web pages in the first place, it
should come as no surprise that the generated web pages use proprietary
data file formats.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 04:26:35PM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On 2010-01-11 at 16:04:26 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> > I am not arguing that, and I agree with what you have said about them
> > making it free.
> >
> > The issue is the icedtea plugin is touted as a replacement for the sun
> > plugin, and it clearly doesn't work properly
>
> I hear you. Of course, there is a Sun plugin too, and you have to install
> that yourself as well, which may mean de-installing other software to
> avoid conflicts.
>
> At the risk of "hijacking" a thread, I had a similar
> problem with Flash player plugins. The "free" and default flash player
> for Etch was constantly crashing my browser. With Lenny it was much
> more reliable, and it would play a higher percentage of flash plugins
> correctly, but it still didn't play some of them correctly. At present,
> there are two pieces of non-free software that I typically install.
> One is Sun Java. The other is Adobe Flash Player. Philosophically,
> I much prefer free software. But I'm enough of a pragmatist that I
> install those two pieces of software because the "it works" feature
> is the most important thing to me.
>
> Writers of free software are often at a distinct disadvantage.
> The format of the data files is often proprietary and undocumented.
> They literally have to guess at the format. Sometimes they guess right
> and sometimes they don't. If web page creators would use free and open
> formats for their web content, it would help. But when they use
> proprietary tools to create the web pages in the first place, it
> should come as no surprise that the generated web pages use proprietary
> data file formats.

I think we are coming from the same place

--
Alden's Laws:
(1) Giving away baby clothes and furniture is the major cause