Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default APM or ACPI on a PowerPC Laptop?

Hey guys,

I am confused as to what power management technology I should be using. When I installed debian etch on this powerpc Apple PowerBook, apm was used as default.

Things are working great here and I have no complaints. However, I understand there is also ACPI, which is newer.

Are there any advantages in switching to ACPI?

Do I need to have hardware support for ACPI? Note this is a fairly old laptop (round 6 years).

Thanks for any help,
Amit

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Michel Dänzer

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:23 -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:

> I am confused as to what power management technology I should be using. When I installed debian etch on this powerpc Apple PowerBook, apm was used as default.
>
> Things are working great here and I have no complaints. However, I understand there is also ACPI, which is newer.
>
> Are there any advantages in switching to ACPI?

TTBOMK there's no ACPI on PowerPC at all.

> Do I need to have hardware support for ACPI? Note this is a fairly old
> laptop (round 6 years).

As with all PowerMacs, even APM is just emulated on top of the native
PMU/SMU then.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://tungstengraphics.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer

Old 01-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 10:13:29 +0100
Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 23:23 -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> >
> > I am confused as to what power management technology I should be using. When I installed debian etch on this powerpc Apple PowerBook, apm was used as default.
> >
> > Things are working great here and I have no complaints. However, I understand there is also ACPI, which is newer.
> >
> > Are there any advantages in switching to ACPI?
>
> TTBOMK there's no ACPI on PowerPC at all.
>
> > Do I need to have hardware support for ACPI? Note this is a fairly old
> > laptop (round 6 years).
>
> As with all PowerMacs, even APM is just emulated on top of the native
> PMU/SMU then.

Ahhh very interesting...Thanks for clearing that up! No wonder acpi was not available on the debian powerpc repos!