Old 01-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Rick Pasotto

Default what happened to my desktop?

I update to testing daily. Recently my desktop icons changed images
(they're all clipboards(?) now) but more importantly *none* of them work
anymore. I now get a requester with several options and when I select
'Run' it simply open gedit on the program's .desktop file.

What's going on?

--
"Civilization is just a temporary failure of entropy."
-- Christine Nelson

Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Anthony Baldwin

> (they're all clipboards(?) now) but more importantly *none*
> of them work
> anymore. I now get a requester with several options and
> when I select
> 'Run' it simply open gedit on the program's .desktop file.
>
> What's going on?

When the file opens in gedit, check that they are correct.
Check stuff like the path to the executable file for the program in question, etc.
Those files should look something like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Gedit
GenericName=
Comment=Light-weight GNOME text editor
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gedit-icon.xpm
Exec=/usr/bin/gedit
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Debian-Applications-Editors;

The "Exec=/..." part is the path to the program.
In this case, I would check the path
In terminal do
:~$ which gedit
/usr/bin/gedit

It is correct.
That's all I can think of.
I don't use any desktop with icons or anything, though, and haven't
for some time. (I use ion3)

/tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations & interpreting

http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
tcl yer os with a feather

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:57:13 -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> I update to testing daily. Recently my desktop icons changed images
> (they're all clipboards(?) now) but more importantly *none* of them work
> anymore. I now get a requester with several options and when I select
> 'Run' it simply open gedit on the program's .desktop file.
>
> What's going on?

Dunno :-?

But you create a new user and test there if the icons on the desktop are
working as they should. Maybe something was messed up with your user's
profile.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón