Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Vadkan Jozsef

Default 100mbit router

I have a 30/20 Mbit internet connection.

I want to buy a new router, because the old one: DL-604 is no longer
supported.

What router should I buy, that can handle a 30/20 connection?

No wifi, only ethernet.

Are there cheap routers that supports VLANs and can handle this speed
[uploading and downloading at the same time]?

It would share the connection to ~4 pc's.

RouterBoard 750G? with level 4 licence?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Vadkan Jozsef put forth on 1/10/2010 6:53 AM:
> I have a 30/20 Mbit internet connection.
>
> I want to buy a new router, because the old one: DL-604 is no longer
> supported.
>
> What router should I buy, that can handle a 30/20 connection?
>
> No wifi, only ethernet.
>
> Are there cheap routers that supports VLANs and can handle this speed
> [uploading and downloading at the same time]?

I think you mean "VPN" not "VLAN". Yes? Depends on your definition of "cheap".

> It would share the connection to ~4 pc's.

This unit may be slightly "pricey" but you won't be left wanting for performance
or features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9926/index.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124127

It will handle 30/20 just fine, and probably much more. 50 concurrent IPSEC VPN
tunnels. And if you get a second 30/20 line, it will outbound load balance
across the two connections. Inbound load balancing would require cooperation
from your broadband provider.

Or you could always just build your own with Linux. Although, you'd spend more
on decent hardware if you went that route and you'd have less ports. And it
wouldn't look as sexy as this Cisco unit.

--
Stan

Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Stefan Monnier

> I have a 30/20 Mbit internet connection.
> I want to buy a new router, because the old one: DL-604 is no longer
> supported.
> What router should I buy, that can handle a 30/20 connection?
> No wifi, only ethernet.
> Are there cheap routers that supports VLANs and can handle this speed
> [uploading and downloading at the same time]?

I have recently started using an old wrtsl54gs (using OpenWRT),
configured as a typical "home router" (e.g. it uses NAT) except the
upstream is a 100Mb/s link. When connected directly, I used to see up
to 9MB/s effective download bandwidths, and now I see them only go as
far up as 5MB/s.

So, 50Mb/s is probably the limit for such a small machine, but it seems
sufficient for your needs. Those little boxes have a 266MHz MIPS CPU
and 32M of RAM
(http://wiki.openwrt.org/oldwiki/openwrtdocs/hardware/linksys/wrtsl54gs).
They support VLANs as well.

I'd expect newer home routers to handle that kind of traffic as well,
tho there's been a tendency to reduce the specs (to cut costs,
presumably), especially on the RAM and flash fronts, less so on the
CPU side.

Stefan