Old 01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Mathias

Default Recommended NIC module

Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the e100 or
the eepro100?

00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro
100 (rev 08)

Mat

Old 01-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Mathias put forth on 1/9/2010 7:31 PM:
> Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the e100 or
> the eepro100?
>
> 00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
> Pro 100 (rev 08)

I have a server with both rev 05 and rev 08 cards installed:
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
(rev 05)
00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet Pro 100
(rev 08)

The rev 05 card is an old Compaq NC31x1 with an Intel 82558 chip.
The rev 08 card is a newer Intel Pro 100 Server Adapter with an Intel 82559 chip.

I have the e100 driver compiled into the kernel controlling both cards. I don't
know precisely what the difference between the two drivers is. I think that the
eepro100 was written by Don Becker back in 1999 (or earlier), and reaches back
to the original eepro10 code. The e100 driver is much newer IIRC and was/is
written/maintained by Intel.

Thus, I'd say go with e100.

--
Stan

Old 01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:31:20 +0100, Mathias wrote:

> Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the e100
> or the eepro100?
>
> 00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
> Pro 100 (rev 08)

I would use the module the kernel detects and automatically loads and if
no problem arises, I'll keep that one O:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Camaleón put forth on 1/10/2010 12:07 PM:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:31:20 +0100, Mathias wrote:
>
>> Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the e100
>> or the eepro100?
>>
>> 00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
>> Pro 100 (rev 08)
>
> I would use the module the kernel detects and automatically loads and if
> no problem arises, I'll keep that one O:-)

If the kernel is auto detecting the device and loading a driver, and the device
works properly, it makes one wonder why the OP posted his question here in the
first place...

--
Stan

Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Mathias

Camaleón put forth on 1/10/2010 12:07 PM:

Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the e100
or the eepro100?

00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
Pro 100 (rev 08)

I would use the module the kernel detects and automatically loads and if
no problem arises, I'll keep that one O:-)

If the kernel is auto detecting the device and loading a driver, and the device
works properly, it makes one wonder why the OP posted his question here in the
first place...

At first it didn't, it kept on remapping the NIC to eth1, and eth0 was
disabled or reserved, then after an upgrade eth1/the NIC stopped working
when booting, I had to manually make it work. :-/

Mat

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:37 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 1/10/2010 12:07 PM:
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 02:31:20 +0100, Mathias wrote:
>>
>>> Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the
>>> e100 or the eepro100?
>>>
>>> 00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
>>> Pro 100 (rev 08)
>>
>> I would use the module the kernel detects and automatically loads and
>> if no problem arises, I'll keep that one O:-)
>
> If the kernel is auto detecting the device and loading a driver, and the
> device works properly, it makes one wonder why the OP posted his
> question here in the first place...

Yes, that is a good question that was not properly addressed.

@OP: Mathias, can you specify what kind of errors are you experiencing
with *any* of the drivers? Detection issues, package drop/lost issues,
connection problems, intermittent errors, system locks...?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Mathias

Camaleón put forth on 1/10/2010 12:07 PM:

Which module would you guys (or gals recommend for this NIC, the
e100 or the eepro100?

00:02.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Ethernet
Pro 100 (rev 08)

I would use the module the kernel detects and automatically loads and
if no problem arises, I'll keep that one O:-)

If the kernel is auto detecting the device and loading a driver, and the
device works properly, it makes one wonder why the OP posted his
question here in the first place...

Yes, that is a good question that was not properly addressed.

@OP: Mathias, can you specify what kind of errors are you experiencing
with *any* of the drivers? Detection issues, package drop/lost issues,
connection problems, intermittent errors, system locks...?

Well, I kinda just did, in the previous post/mail. But if you want I can
describe it. It's a Serverworks III LE machine with the NIC on the
motherboard, and a long time ago I installed what was lenny/sid back then,
I think. Had some problems with it, but nothing major, then with a recent
upgrade it stopped working, and new kernels wouldn't work either, just
re-boot/reset. So now I have managed to install stable/lenny on it, from

scratch. I saved all the data, home and etc on another disc for later use.
I guess I'll use e100 from now on, but back then when it was not working
properly, the e100 was installed with the default kernel. Yesterday I
complied my own kernel so now I'm doing the finishing touches on the system.
This server is a SMP/Dual P3 with 768MB RAM and will be used as a ftp, ssh,
apache (very little, mysql and a few others.

Let me know if you need more info.

Mat

Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 20:25:10 +0100, Mathias wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Camaleón wrote:

>> @OP: Mathias, can you specify what kind of errors are you experiencing
>> with *any* of the drivers? Detection issues, package drop/lost issues,
>> connection problems, intermittent errors, system locks...?
>>

> Well, I kinda just did, in the previous post/mail. But if you want I can
> describe it. It's a Serverworks III LE machine with the NIC on the
> motherboard, and a long time ago I installed what was lenny/sid back
> then, I think. Had some problems with it, but nothing major, then with a
> recent upgrade it stopped working, and new kernels wouldn't work either,
> just re-boot/reset. So now I have managed to install stable/lenny on it,
> from scratch. I saved all the data, home and etc on another disc for
> later use. I guess I'll use e100 from now on, but back then when it was
> not working properly, the e100 was installed with the default kernel.
> Yesterday I complied my own kernel so now I'm doing the finishing
> touches on the system. This server is a SMP/Dual P3 with 768MB RAM and
> will be used as a ftp, ssh, apache (very little, mysql and a few others.
>
> Let me know if you need more info.

You'll need to be a bit more specific when you state "it was not working
properly" :-)

That is, every situation may requiere different actions:

You can get the module loaded but experience some glitches when
performing some network consuming tasks (i.e., while copying files over
nfs, or while running any program) or you can get your system not to load
the network's card configuration at all.

In the first case I will dig a bit what can be cause of the error by
reviewing the logs and perform some tests, tweaking services, etc...

In the latter case I would not doubt and try to load another network
card's module.

In fact, that was exactly what I had to do some years ago: my network
card was successfully running "sk98lin" driver (Marvell chipset) and some
day it just stopped working: the system could not get any network
settings (ip, gateway, netmask...) so I changed the driver and tested
with "skge". Problem solved.

I mean, do not worry so much about the driver to use unless you are
facing some specific problems. In that case, just test with another one
(if available) and see if that solves the problem, whatever the problem
is.

There usually are not "better" or "worse" drivers, just one that works
and other that doesn't.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Mathias put forth on 1/10/2010 1:25 PM:

> Yesterday I
> complied my own kernel so now I'm doing the finishing touches on the
> system.

If you're compiling your own kernels, add the e100 driver into the kernel
instead of as a module. I've got an 82558 and 82559 in the same machine and
both work great without problems using the e100 kernel driver.

Also, you mentioned etho and eth1 being bumped around. Udev did this to me with
the same two eth cards mentioned above when I moved one of them to a different
PCI slot. I then researched the problem and had to create a udev rule to always
name the 82559 as eth0 and 82558 as eth1. I'm guessing something similar
happened to you when you first noticed problems. This isn't a problem with the
ethernet drivers but is a problem with udev.

--
Stan

Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Mathias

complied my own kernel so now I'm doing the finishing touches on the
system.

If you're compiling your own kernels, add the e100 driver into the kernel
instead of as a module. I've got an 82558 and 82559 in the same machine and
both work great without problems using the e100 kernel driver.

Also, you mentioned etho and eth1 being bumped around. Udev did this to me with
the same two eth cards mentioned above when I moved one of them to a different
PCI slot. I then researched the problem and had to create a udev rule to always
name the 82559 as eth0 and 82558 as eth1. I'm guessing something similar
happened to you when you first noticed problems. This isn't a problem with the
ethernet drivers but is a problem with udev.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that sounds like it, as I recall it. It was a
few years ago since I installed it, and I can't rememeber the error messages
and such, and I have wiped it clean, this past week. I was wresting with
that issue for a while, but forgot about it, and then now when it totally
stopped working after the update, I thought it was time to change a few
things. Mysql server failed to start, etc. Whenever I installed another
kernel than the working (2.6.22 or 24) it wouldn't boot, just re-start
itself. Of course I could have stayed with it and try to resolve all this
issues, as I always did in the past, but I guess I am getting old and lazy,
so I just installed Etch and it worked, upgraded to lenny and now everything
seems to work fine.

But if you want, I can start digging in memory archives, and try to back
track all that was faulty with the old setup.

Mat