Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Steve Kleene

Default iceweasel window raised with remote open

I keep an iceweasel process open but iconized (lowered) all the time.
When I open a site as follows

iceweasel -remote openurl(http:blah.html)

it raises the iceweasel window to the foreground. (-new-tab does the
same.) Is there a setting I can change so that iceweasel will remain
iconized? I am running iceweasel 3.0.6-3 on Etch. I use the fvwm window
manager, not KDE or Gnome.

You may wonder why I want this. There is a site that I like to check in on
at various random times throughout the day. If I don't connect there for
awhile, it logs me off. So I run a background shell that reopens it once an
hour with -remote so that I'm still logged in again when I get around to
checking the site. In general I don't want the browser window popping up
every time that happens. Whether or not the window is raised has varied over
the years with different systems I've used.

Thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Liam O'Toole

On 2010-01-09, Steve Kleene <skdeb@syrano.acb.uc.edu> wrote:
> I keep an iceweasel process open but iconized (lowered) all the time.
> When I open a site as follows
>
> iceweasel -remote openurl(http:blah.html)
>
> it raises the iceweasel window to the foreground. (-new-tab does the
> same.) Is there a setting I can change so that iceweasel will remain
> iconized? I am running iceweasel 3.0.6-3 on Etch. I use the fvwm window
> manager, not KDE or Gnome.

In iceweasel, go to the URL 'about:config'. Try toggling the preference
'browser.tabs.loadInBackground'.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom