Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Nick Douma

Default Synaptics touchpad works even though it's not in xorg.conf

Old 01-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Mihira Fernando

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:54:53 +0000
George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:

> My synaptics touchpad is working even though it's not in xorg.conf.
> The only input devices there are the keyboard and the mouse. How can I
> disable it? I tried adding it, restarting xorg and then use synclient
> to disable it but it looks like the Synaptics section in xorg.conf is
> not detected.
>
> How can I disable the touchpad? I don't need it.

Doesnt disabling it from the keyboard work ? Function key + F?
key (fn+F7 on my laptop)

Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM
George

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Mihira Fernando <mihiratheace@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:54:53 +0000
> George <pinkisntwell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My synaptics touchpad is working even though it's not in xorg.conf.
>> The only input devices there are the keyboard and the mouse. How can I
>> disable it? I tried adding it, restarting xorg and then use synclient
>> to disable it but it looks like the Synaptics section in xorg.conf is
>> not detected.
>>
>> How can I disable the touchpad? I don't need it.
>>

> Doesnt disabling it from the keyboard work ? Function key + F?
> key (fn+F7 on my laptop)

I'm not on that computer right now so I'll let you know when I go
back. However, the affected laptop does have a small button to toggle
the touchpad on and off, which doesn't work on debian, even though the
LED will change colors.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Pier Paolo

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 16:08, Nick Douma <n.douma@nekoconeko.nl> wrote:

On 9-1-2010 15:54, George wrote:

> My synaptics touchpad is working even though it's not in xorg.conf.

> The only input devices there are the keyboard and the mouse. How can I

> disable it? I tried adding it, restarting xorg and then use synclient

> to disable it but it looks like the Synaptics section in xorg.conf is

> not detected.

> How can I disable the touchpad? I don't need it.

Now (i assume you use xorg .4 with hal) iit depends on hal's fdi, the easy way it's to cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/x11-synaptics.fdi or something similar to you /etc/hal/fdi/policy directory, putting in there what you have in xorg.conf according to the examples in the fdi.

Hope this works, bye

Old 01-09-2010, 02:37 PM
George

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Nick Douma <n.douma@nekoconeko.nl> wrote:

> Don't you have button on your laptop that disables it? On my Acer it is
> a combination of Fn + a number.

As I said, it doesn't have a button combination, but it has a
dedicated button, which doesn't work in debian.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Stan Hoeppner

George put forth on 1/9/2010 9:37 AM:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Nick Douma <n.douma@nekoconeko.nl> wrote:
>
>> Don't you have button on your laptop that disables it? On my Acer it is
>> a combination of Fn + a number.
>
> As I said, it doesn't have a button combination, but it has a
> dedicated button, which doesn't work in debian.

Can you manually disable it in the BIOS menu?

--
Stan

Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
Freeman

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 02:54:53PM +0000, George wrote:
> My synaptics touchpad is working even though it's not in xorg.conf.
> The only input devices there are the keyboard and the mouse. How can I
> disable it? I tried adding it, restarting xorg and then use synclient
> to disable it but it looks like the Synaptics section in xorg.conf is
> not detected.
>
> How can I disable the touchpad? I don't need it.

# aptitude install gpointing-device-settings

?

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman