Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Joost Kraaijeveld

Default How to connect my ipod?

Hi,

I got a brand new toy, an iPod classic 160 GB, for my birthday today.
When I connect I can see it through Nautilus. But depending on the mood
of my machine (?) it is mounted as /dev/sdd, /dev/sde of whatever sd* it
sees fit at /media/usb0 or /media/usb1 if I happened to have a
usb-memory stick in my machine.

Is it possible to let the iPod appear consistently at /media/ipod so
that I can use it with GtkPod, which expects it to be at that mount
point (or any other consistent mount point I guess)? If so, how does one
do that using Debian Squeeze?

TIA

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 11:13:56AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
[...]
> Is it possible to let the iPod appear consistently at /media/ipod so
> that I can use it with GtkPod, which expects it to be at that mount
> point (or any other consistent mount point I guess)? If so, how does one
> do that using Debian Squeeze?

http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

might help.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 11:13:56AM +0100, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a brand new toy, an iPod classic 160 GB, for my birthday today.
> When I connect I can see it through Nautilus. But depending on the mood
> of my machine (?) it is mounted as /dev/sdd, /dev/sde of whatever sd* it
> sees fit at /media/usb0 or /media/usb1 if I happened to have a
> usb-memory stick in my machine.
>
> Is it possible to let the iPod appear consistently at /media/ipod so
> that I can use it with GtkPod, which expects it to be at that mount
> point (or any other consistent mount point I guess)? If so, how does one
> do that using Debian Squeeze?

udev + fstab

You should write an udev rule for making something like /dev/ipod when a
device is connected to the computer. And then write line like next in the fstab:

/dev/ipod /media/ipod vfat noauto,sync,users 0 0

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Tixy

On Sun, 2010-01-10 at 11:25 +0300, lego_12239@rambler.ru wrote:
> udev + fstab
>
> You should write an udev rule for making something like /dev/ipod when a
> device is connected to the computer. And then write line like next in the fstab:
>
> /dev/ipod /media/ipod vfat noauto,sync,users 0 0

If all that is required is a consistent mount point, then just give a
label to the iPod USB mass storage partition. Nautilus should automount
removable media to /media/volume-label-name.

--
Tixy