Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Chris Jones

Default unable to open mailbox

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:35:58AM EST, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
> hello

> when i try to open my mail box Mail/mbox it gives ...Mail/mbox is not
> a mailbox but /var/mail/jeffrin works. here are some outputs..

> {
> mbox: ISO-8859 mail text, with very long lines
> /var/mail/jeffrin: ASCII mail text, with very long lines
> }

> why am i unable to read mbox ?
>
> /all thanks

Sounds like the mbox has been corrupted:

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Folder

I get these messages occasionally, usually when I screw up some
tagging/copying of messages, but they're temporary and usually things
sort of right themselves. What happens is that mutt eventually opens the
last folder I had accessed and things start working again -- until it
happens again.

Unfortunately, it only happens on rare occasions, and as I said when
I'm already confused by what I'm trying to achieve, so I have not so far
been able to identify a pattern, much less recreate and send in a bug
report.

But since something must be moving your mail to Mail/mbox rather than
the default, I would take a look at your MDA's (procmail) configuration
as recommended by the mutt FAQ.

CJ

Old 01-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Jeffrin Jose

> But since something must be moving your mail to Mail/mbox rather than
> the default, I would take a look at your MDA's (procmail) configuration
> as recommended by the mutt FAQ.

i have invoked " fetchmail -v --mda /usr/bin/procmail"
my procmailrc is ...

{
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox

:0
* ^To.*bugs.debian.org
debian-bugs

:0
* ^From.*bugs.debian.org
debian-bugs

:0
* ^To.*debian-kernel@lists.debian.org
debian-kernel
}

/thanks.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Teemu Likonen

On 2010-01-09 15:38 (+0530), Jeffrin Jose wrote:

> i have invoked " fetchmail -v --mda /usr/bin/procmail"
> my procmailrc is ...

> :0
> * ^To.*bugs.debian.org
> debian-bugs

You use mbox format so you really should use use lock files when writing
to mailboxes. That is, use ":0:" instead of ":0" in .procmailrc file,
like this:

:0:
* ^To: .*bugs.debian.org
debian-bugs

But consider using Maildir format instead. It doesn't need lock files.
With procmail you can do it by adding "/" after the mailbox name:

:0
* ^To: .*bugs.debian.org
debian-bugs/

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies
if you want to make sure I'll notice them.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Freeman

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:38:17PM +0530, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
> > But since something must be moving your mail to Mail/mbox rather than
> > the default, I would take a look at your MDA's (procmail) configuration
> > as recommended by the mutt FAQ.
>
> i have invoked " fetchmail -v --mda /usr/bin/procmail"
> my procmailrc is ...
>
> {
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
>

> :0
> * ^To.*bugs.debian.org
> debian-bugs
>
> :0
> * ^From.*bugs.debian.org
> debian-bugs
>
> :0
> * ^To.*debian-kernel@lists.debian.org
> debian-kernel
> }

That doesn't seem right to me. The basic setup I am familiar with is a mail
spool and a home directory.

Then procmil's default delivery would be a spool file, not an internal mutt
folder. Like this:

DEFAULT=/var/mail/freeman
MAILDIR=${HOME}/Mail

Then mut would have its four main folders setup in ~/Mail and it would read
the spoolfile and display it as INBOX. Read mail in INBOX gets saved
automatically to mbox:

set folder=$HOME/Mail # where i keep my mailboxes
set record='+sent' # default location to save outgoing mail
set mbox='+mbox' # where to store read messages
set postponed='+draft' # mailbox to store postponed messages in
set spoolfile='/var/mail/freeman' # where my new mail is located

You can make your own folders, outside of mutt's four default, and set recipes to deliver to them.
In my case, they are in dot directories within the ~/Mail folder

mailboxes =inbox # =freeman =mbox =sent =draft
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/*
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/.admin/*
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/.business/*
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/.incoming/*
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/.list/*
mailboxes cho $HOME/Mail/.personal/*

My guess is that procmail is corrupting your mbox. But maybe you are
following a different plan.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Klistvud

Sounds like the mbox has been corrupted:

I've heard maildir is more robust than mbox in that regard. Can anybody
confirm if that's true or not?

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Klistvud wrote:
> I've heard maildir is more robust than mbox in that regard. Can anybody
> confirm if that's true or not?

I'd say so. Since each message is a file, if one file gets corrupted
only that message will be affected.

--
I met a wonderful new man. He's fictional, but you can't have everything.
-- Cecelia, "The Purple Rose of Cairo"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 01-09-2010, 10:45 PM
RobertHoltzman

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:27:33AM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Klistvud wrote:
> > I've heard maildir is more robust than mbox in that regard. Can anybody
> > confirm if that's true or not?
> >

> I'd say so. Since each message is a file, if one file gets corrupted
> only that message will be affected.

But it slows down searches.

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279

Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 AM
Stan Hoeppner

RobertHoltzman put forth on 1/9/2010 5:45 PM:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:27:33AM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>> Klistvud wrote:
>>> I've heard maildir is more robust than mbox in that regard. Can anybody
>>> confirm if that's true or not?
>>>

>> I'd say so. Since each message is a file, if one file gets corrupted
>> only that message will be affected.
>
> But it slows down searches.

That's the general wisdom regarding search performance, but I'm not so sure that
its correct for modern systems and software. I haven't located any modern
apples-apples benchmarks of mbox vs maildir. Dovecot supports both mailbox
formats and its mbox code has been heavily optimized. It would be nice to see
this http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/ benchmark performed today but
testing dovecot-mbox vs dovecot-maildir.

--
Stan

Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 AM
RobertHoltzman

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 08:09:57PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> RobertHoltzman put forth on 1/9/2010 5:45 PM:
> >>>

> >> I'd say so. Since each message is a file, if one file gets corrupted
> >> only that message will be affected.
> >
> > But it slows down searches.
>
> That's the general wisdom regarding search performance, but I'm not so sure that
> its correct for modern systems and software. I haven't located any modern
> apples-apples benchmarks of mbox vs maildir. Dovecot supports both mailbox
> formats and its mbox code has been heavily optimized. It would be nice to see
> this http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/ benchmark performed today but
> testing dovecot-mbox vs dovecot-maildir.

One of the Alpine (ex)devs claims it's true. If I ever get the time I'll
see about testing it one of the distros on my desktop box. Intuitively
it sounds right as a search would entail opening and closing many files
as opposed to one with mbox.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Stan Hoeppner

RobertHoltzman put forth on 1/10/2010 1:01 AM:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 08:09:57PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> RobertHoltzman put forth on 1/9/2010 5:45 PM:

>>> But it slows down searches.
>>
>> That's the general wisdom regarding search performance, but I'm not so sure that
>> its correct for modern systems and software. I haven't located any modern
>> apples-apples benchmarks of mbox vs maildir. Dovecot supports both mailbox
>> formats and its mbox code has been heavily optimized. It would be nice to see
>> this http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/ benchmark performed today but
>> testing dovecot-mbox vs dovecot-maildir.
>
> One of the Alpine (ex)devs claims it's true. If I ever get the time I'll
> see about testing it one of the distros on my desktop box. Intuitively
> it sounds right as a search would entail opening and closing many files
> as opposed to one with mbox.

I completely agree with this position. Technically it makes sense. This is one
reason I went with mbox on my Dovecot server. I'd just like to see some recent
modern benchmarks proving so and to what degree. My gut instinct says that mbox
is faster, but probably not to such an extent that it would really make a
difference from the "human latency" standpoint. I have a list mail file with
10,600 messages in it. The longest simple body search time I've had through
T-Bird (server side search) is about 8-10 seconds wall clock time. If I'd
chosen maildir instead of mbox, and maildir took 16-20 seconds for the same
search, that's not a huge difference in human waiting terms--unless your daily
job entails searching mail files/folders all day long. This is on a lightly
loaded server. I'd like to see data for heavily loaded mbox and maildir servers.

--
Stan