Old 01-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Lee Clark

Default Can you help me with my login screen problem?

I am really new to this though I have tried several times over the years since 92.
I installed debian on this HP compaq about 3 weeks ago.
Some how I have screwed up the login screen.
It loads up and starts X and it was giving me a login screen.
Now all I get is a black screen, it still plays the sound so I know I can login but with out the screen I am blind.
Some one sugested I do a get uninstall i think of gdm which I did followed with a get install gdm.
I am using it now so I can log in blind and it loads it all but being black makes it hard to do any thing.

Thank you

Lee Clark

My signature file!

"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." - Plato

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. " - Albert Einstein

"IN GOD WE TRUST"*** AMEN!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Rob Owens

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 12:08:41AM -0800, Lee Clark wrote:

> I am really new to this though I have tried several times over the years since 92.
> I installed debian on this HP compaq about 3 weeks ago.
> Some how I have screwed up the login screen.
> It loads up and starts X and it was giving me a login screen.
> Now all I get is a black screen, it still plays the sound so I know I can login but with out the screen I am blind.
> Some one sugested I do a get uninstall i think of gdm which I did followed with a get install gdm.
> I am using it now so I can log in blind and it loads it all but being black makes it hard to do any thing.

After you boot, you can hit ctrl-alt-F2 to get a console login prompt.
Log in as root and run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg". That'll attempt
to reconfigure the xserver.

Then run "/etc/init.d/gdm restart" (assuming you're using the default
installation) and see if your graphics come back.

If that didn't work, hit ctrl-alt-F2 and login as root (if root is not
already logged in). Run "/etc/init.d/gdm stop", followed by
"X -configure", then "/etc/init.d/gdm start". See if that gets you back
in business.

-Rob