Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Default Hosting in the US

Julien Vehent put forth on 1/8/2010 4:37 PM:
> Unmanaged hosting. But I want to be sure the company takes care of the
> machines properly.
> I don't have big resources requirements, so dedicated or virtual doesn't
> matter as long as some minimum bandwidth is garantied.
>
> I'll take a look at liquidweb, thanks David.

I'd look elsewhere if you plan on sending much email from your host. LiquidWeb
hosts many snowshoe spammers. I have three of their /17s local blocked here.

67.225.128.0/17 REJECT
67.227.128.0/17 REJECT
72.52.128.0/17 REJECT

--
Stan

Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Julien Vehent

So far, linode looks ok. Very close to what Gandi offer.. a little bit
more expensive though.
Do they have any limitation on the Linux distribution you can install ?

Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM
"Jeremy T. Bouse"

I'll go along with mentioning Linode.com, I'm not currently using them
but have a project I'm currently starting and have picked them to go
with for hosting. I've also previously used GrokThis and had a good
experience.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
freeman

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:35:17PM +0100, Julien Vehent wrote:
> Hello Debian people,
>
> I'm looking for a good hosting service in the US. I need full root shell
> access and basic debian net installation. Do you know a good and reliable
> provider ?
>
> In France, I'm usually very satisfed with Gandi.net, they have a clear
> offer and they don't bullshit you when they screw up. Something similar on
> this side of the atlantic would be perfect.

http://www.pair.com runs freeBSD.

I've been with pair 8 years. They have been fastidious with their servers.
They offer shell access via ssh.

I particularly like that they still maintain local usenet newsgroups for
their clients and customers. Their support is well worked out, timely and
effective.

Never had a problem other than their servers might be a tad slow on
occasion. Never had a price increase.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Julien Vehent

allllmost ! just replace bsd by debian and I'm in

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Julien Vehent put forth on 1/8/2010 6:53 PM:
> allllmost ! just replace bsd by debian and I'm in

Maybe this will help you out a bit:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianHosting

--
Stan

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 AM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-08 at 19:53:38 -0500, Julien Vehent wrote:
> allllmost ! just replace bsd by debian and I'm in

The following is my own personal opinion and does not necessarily
represent the opinion or the official position of the Debian organization
itself. I am not a Debian developer and I do not speak for the Debian
organization in any capacity. I am just a Debian user. That is all.

I'll tell you one outfit I will definitely *not* recommend: multibuild.org.
I don't know if they offer a general hosting service or not, but they
do host at least one web server for the Debian organization itself:
lophos.multibuild.org. I don't know what else may be on that server, but
one thing I do know that is on that server, or is supposed to be on
that server, is the latest development version of Debian Installer for
the s390 architecture. See the following web page:

On that page, click on the "s390" link, which is under the heading
"other images (netboot, usb stick, floppy, etc)". This is supposed
to take you to http://lophos.multibuild.org/d-i/images/daily/
but it doesn't. It times out. As far as I can tell, the server is
down. And it has been down for days, maybe as long as two weeks.
I don't know. Maybe Debian didn't pay their bill or something.
But I've sent the sysadmin a note about it days ago, and nothing
happens. I'm glad they don't host for me. In the meantime, I am
forced to wait.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Friday 08 January 2010 15:35:17 Julien Vehent wrote:
> I'm looking for a good hosting service in the US. I need full root shell
> access and basic debian net installation. Do you know a good and reliable
> provider ?

So far, I am enjoying Slicehost.com.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 14:39, <mark@phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
> Try linode.com. Inexpensive and great support.

I second that. My needs are very minimal, but so far everything
with Linode has been great.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Nuno MagalhĂŁes

+1 for linode.com, i used them for a while. Slicehost seems similar
but i've never used it.

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraĆ* html-a retpoƝto
/ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail