Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Mathias

Default Problems with the install kernel on serverworks chipset.

When I install Debian 5.0 lenny and reboot, the linux never makes in past
the first post but crashes/reboots at once.

I can run Knoppix 5.3.1 (kernel 2.6.26) on DVD and older knoppix versions on
the machine, so it's not a total havoc. I also used
to run an older linux on this machine with kerne image 2.4.22 or 24, on it.
I've tried the 2.6-486 as well, but no luck.

The installation goes fine, so that one works. But there is something in the
linux image that doesn't work for me, maybe it's

not supporting Serverworks III LE chipset, or something.

Are there any alternative install discs/isos, unsupported that has a kernel
that might work for me? It's worth a try.
I'm not new to linux either, have been using linux since ca 1998 and
installed it over 100 times on different machines,

15 of those I have in my house/basement. So no lack of knowledge there.

The machine is a HP NetServer E800 with ASUS CUR-DLS mobo, dual P-III.

Any tips?

I am also now going to try and install an older version of Debian, (etch) to
see if I can use it to upgrade with, and use another kernel.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 02:01:53 +0100, Mathias wrote:

(...)

> The machine is a HP NetServer E800 with ASUS CUR-DLS mobo, dual P-III.
>
> Any tips?

It's listed here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/CUR-DLS

It seems that was tested with kernel 2.6.25.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Stan Hoeppner

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:38:41 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 02:01:53 +0100, Mathias wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> The machine is a HP NetServer E800 with ASUS CUR-DLS mobo, dual P-III.
>>
>> Any tips?
>
> It's listed here:
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/CUR-DLS
>
> It seems that was tested with kernel 2.6.25.

What SCSI RAID card is in the machine, if any?

--
Stan

Old 01-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Mathias