Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM
KS

Default Recovering data from NTFS disk

Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me his hard disk to try to rescue data from it. It
is a 500GB SATA drive which was in an USB enclosure. His machine
(Windows XP) is unable to detect it when the enclosure is connected.

I connected it in my machine (internal SATA) and just did a ddrescue of
the disk to a 1.5TB hard disk using a Sysrescue CD. The process tells me
that there were 37 errors totalling 151kB.

The ISO image generated is about 466GB. However, when I mount the image
using
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /path/to/image.iso /path/to/mntpt

it shows that the mntpt is just 121MB.
When I do a listing of the mntpt directory I get:

root@sysresccd /root % ddrescue -v /dev/sdb1 /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
/mnt/windows/rescueLog.txt

About to copy 500107 MBytes from /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
Starting positions: infile = 0 B, outfile = 0 B
Copy block size: 128 hard blocks
Hard block size: 512 bytes
Max_retries: 0
Direct: no Sparse: no Split: yes Truncate: no

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 471251 MB, errsize: 3098 kB, errors: 35
Current status
rescued: 500107 MB, errsize: 151 kB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 210521 MB, errors: 37, average rate: 679 kB/s
opos: 210521 MB, time from last successful read: 6.7 m
Finished
root@sysresccd /root % man mount
root@sysresccd /root % mkdir /mnt/windows/rescueDataDump
root@sysresccd /root % ls /mnt
backup cdrom custom floppy gentoo livecd memory windows
root@sysresccd /root % mount -o loop -t iso9660
/mnt/windows/rescueData.iso /mnt/cdrom
root@sysresccd /root % ls /mnt/cdrom
〰〹 䝎䑒噌慮?湩㬱
root@sysresccd /root % du -sch /mnt/cdrom
13K /mnt/cdrom
13K total
root@sysresccd /root % df -h
tmpfs 491M 25M 467M 6% /
/dev/sr0 121M 121M 0 100% /mnt/cdrom
/dev/loop0 194M 194M 0 100% /mnt/livecd
tmpfs 491M 25M 467M 6% /mnt/memory
udev 10M 164K 9.9M 2% /dev
tmpfs 491M 13M 478M 3% /lib/firmware
/dev/sda1 1.4T 466G 932G 34% /mnt/windows
/mnt/windows/rescueData.iso
121M 121M 0 100% /mnt/cdrom

Any advice on how to proceed from here? Or can someone suggest a better
method?

Thanks
.KS.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Jochen Schulz

KS:

> root@sysresccd /root % mount -o loop -t iso9660

Why do you mount the dump file from ddrescue as ISO image? Doesn't the
subject say it should actually contain an NTFS filesystem? I am
surprised that this actually works.

> /mnt/windows/rescueData.iso /mnt/cdrom
> root@sysresccd /root % ls /mnt/cdrom
> 〰〹 䝎䑒噌慮?湩㬱

Do you expect this kind of characters or is it just "garbage" (from your
point if view)?

> Any advice on how to proceed from here? Or can someone suggest a better
> method?

It depends on what you want to achieve. If all you want is to rescue
personal documents, images and the like, I suggest you to try photorec
from the testdisk package. It can recover many files of different types
from otherwise unusable filesystems.

J.
--
I count my partner's eyelashes.