-   -   filesystem throughput measurement (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/30586-filesystem-throughput-measurement.html)

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-07-2008 12:54 AM

filesystem throughput measurement

I'm considering getting a tape drive for intermediate backup and
long-term archiving (e.g. DLT-IV or LTO). Newer drives require a higher
data rate to keep them fed than older drives.

I can measure raw hard drive speed with hdparm -Tt, but how do I measure
how fast a backup software could read from the filesystem to know how
fast a tape drive my box will support?

The box is an Athlon64 3800+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 1 GB ram
(one stick only), with two Seagate 80 GB SATA-II drives.

The system filesystems are on LVM over RAID1 and the data filesystems
are on LVM striped volumes (for better speed).

Thanks,

Doug.

David 01-07-2008 01:06 AM

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

I'm considering getting a tape drive for intermediate backup and
long-term archiving (e.g. DLT-IV or LTO). Newer drives require a higher
data rate to keep them fed than older drives.

I can measure raw hard drive speed with hdparm -Tt, but how do I measure
how fast a backup software could read from the filesystem to know how
fast a tape drive my box will support?

The box is an Athlon64 3800+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 1 GB ram
(one stick only), with two Seagate 80 GB SATA-II drives.

The system filesystems are on LVM over RAID1 and the data filesystems
are on LVM striped volumes (for better speed).

I'm not familiar with speeds of modern tape drives, Doug, but it may be
good to install matched pair of 1Gb (one on each side) to avoid a
potential bottle neck?

Regards,

David Palmer
Linux User - #352034

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-07-2008 01:34 AM

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:06:09AM +0900, David wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >I'm considering getting a tape drive for intermediate backup and
> >long-term archiving (e.g. DLT-IV or LTO). Newer drives require a higher
> >data rate to keep them fed than older drives.
> >
> >I can measure raw hard drive speed with hdparm -Tt, but how do I measure
> >how fast a backup software could read from the filesystem to know how
> >fast a tape drive my box will support?
> >
> >The box is an Athlon64 3800+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with 1 GB ram
> >(one stick only), with two Seagate 80 GB SATA-II drives.
> >
> >The system filesystems are on LVM over RAID1 and the data filesystems
> >are on LVM striped volumes (for better speed).
>
> I'm not familiar with speeds of modern tape drives, Doug, but it may be
> good to install matched pair of 1Gb (one on each side) to avoid a
> potential bottle neck?

That was/is going to be my next upgrade. I went to the store here in
Kingston and couldn't get any pairs of DDR2-800. It was just after the
price had dropped and they couldn't get any. I'll have to try again.

Actually, I figure that while I'm at it, I'll make it a pair of 2 GB
sticks, unless of course a set of 4 is on a great sale :)

Doug.

David 01-07-2008 02:56 AM

filesystem throughput measurement

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
<snip>

That was/is going to be my next upgrade. I went to the store here in
Kingston and couldn't get any pairs of DDR2-800. It was just after the
price had dropped and they couldn't get any. I'll have to try again.

Actually, I figure that while I'm at it, I'll make it a pair of 2 GB
sticks, unless of course a set of 4 is on a great sale :)

Doug.

That's the spirit!

--
David Palmer