Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Sven Joachim

Default apt-get source produces gpg error. Can't check signatu public key not found

On 2010-01-07 16:37 +0100, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I am trying to get the source code for a Debian package with
>
> apt-get source xxx
>
> where xxx is the name of the package. The retrieval of the source package
> appears to have been successful, but I get error messages along the way:
>
> gpg: new configuration file `/root/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created

Why do you run apt-get source as root?

> gpg: WARNING: options in `/root/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
> gpg: Signature made Sun 23 Nov 2008 09:06:32 PM EST using DSA key ID 12066207
> gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> Obviously I need to find and import the relevant public key.
> I don't know where to find the key, nor how to import it.
> I searched the internet and found some hits on "gpg 12066207",
> but I could not find specific instructions.

If you want to import the key into your keyring, "gpg --recv-keys" does
that for you. However, this is not necessary.

> (1) Will someone please give me specific instructions on where to
> find the key, and how to install it, and

Install the debian-keyring package.

> (2) Will someone please explain why this key is not already installed,
> since this is an official Debian source package.

Because it is not necessary if you don't work with source packages.

Sven

Old 01-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Why do you run apt-get source as root?

I am used to being root when I run apt-get because this is required
when installing a binary package. I assumed (perhaps incorrectly)
that installing a source package also required root privileges.
But since you're asking the question, that must not be the case.

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Install the debian-keyring package.

Thank you! That solves the problem. But it requires 26M of disk space!
Wow! It's just a collection of keys, right? Why is it so big?
Are there THAT MANY Debian developers?

On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Because it is not necessary if you don't work with source packages.

Well, I guess that makes sense. But apt does not recommend or
even suggest debian-keyring. It seems to me that if one runs
"apt-get source" and debian-keyring is not installed, apt-get
should issue a warning message that debian-keyring is not installed.
Anyway, thanks for the help. You hit the nail right on the head.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-07 17:42 +0100, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Install the debian-keyring package.
>
> Thank you! That solves the problem. But it requires 26M of disk space!
> Wow! It's just a collection of keys, right? Why is it so big?
> Are there THAT MANY Debian developers?

About thousand.

> On 2010-01-07 at 11:04:18 -0500, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Because it is not necessary if you don't work with source packages.
>
> Well, I guess that makes sense. But apt does not recommend or
> even suggest debian-keyring. It seems to me that if one runs
> "apt-get source" and debian-keyring is not installed, apt-get
> should issue a warning message that debian-keyring is not installed.

I think this is more for dpkg-dev; that package suggests debian-keyring,
but dpkg-source could probably print some advice if gpg can't find the
key during extraction.

Sven