FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Ron Peterson
 
Default stability of multipath

Hi,

Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath for
a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using qlogic 2432
hbas. This would the first time I did this in production, however, so
it would be nice to have some reassurance that I'm not sticking my neck
out too far.

TIA

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager
Mount Holyoke College
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default stability of multipath

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00:00PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
> production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath for
> a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using qlogic 2432
> hbas. This would the first time I did this in production, however, so
> it would be nice to have some reassurance that I'm not sticking my neck
> out too far.
who provide you storage, probably best to talk to them, most vendor have
matrix's out what combo of storage/hw/firmware/sw they have certified, I
believe HP have looked at multipath, not sure about the others

Alex
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Ron Peterson
> Network & Systems Manager
> Mount Holyoke College
> http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>
 
Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Ron Peterson
 
Default stability of multipath

2008-01-06_21:12:01-0500 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00:00PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:

> > Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
> > production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath
> > for a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using
> > qlogic 2432 hbas. This would the first time I did this in
> > production, however, so it would be nice to have some reassurance
> > that I'm not sticking my neck out too far.

> who provide you storage, probably best to talk to them, most vendor
> have matrix's out what combo of storage/hw/firmware/sw they have
> certified, I believe HP have looked at multipath, not sure about the
> others

In general, I find most such matrixes exclude Debian, preferring to
focus on corporate distro's like Suse, Redhat, etc. That hasn't scared
me away from using Debian where I know the pieces well enough. But
multipath is new to me, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager
Mount Holyoke College
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default stability of multipath

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:05:29PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> 2008-01-06_21:12:01-0500 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00:00PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
>
> > > Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
> > > production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath
> > > for a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using
> > > qlogic 2432 hbas. This would the first time I did this in
> > > production, however, so it would be nice to have some reassurance
> > > that I'm not sticking my neck out too far.
>
> > who provide you storage, probably best to talk to them, most vendor
> > have matrix's out what combo of storage/hw/firmware/sw they have
> > certified, I believe HP have looked at multipath, not sure about the
> > others
>
> In general, I find most such matrixes exclude Debian, preferring to
> focus on corporate distro's like Suse, Redhat, etc. That hasn't scared
> me away from using Debian where I know the pieces well enough. But
> multipath is new to me, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.
true but you can check the version numbers, even download their packages and
fit them into your debian system.

I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly


>
> --
> Ron Peterson
> Network & Systems Manager
> Mount Holyoke College
> http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>
 
Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 AM
David
 
Default stability of multipath

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Jan 6, 2008 9:55 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:

I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly


I believe this is one of their ongoing goals, at one point they were a
major donor to Software in the Public Interest, if not Debian
directly.


Debian directly.
Bdale Garbee still handles all their Linux consultation work.

http://www.gag.com/~bdale/nc4000/

Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 AM
"Paul Johnson"
 
Default stability of multipath

On Jan 6, 2008 9:55 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly

I believe this is one of their ongoing goals, at one point they were a
major donor to Software in the Public Interest, if not Debian
directly.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Ron Peterson
 
Default stability of multipath

2008-01-07_01:21:47-0500 David <davidpalmer@westnet.com.au>:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> >On Jan 6, 2008 9:55 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> >>I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly
> >
> >I believe this is one of their ongoing goals, at one point they were a
> >major donor to Software in the Public Interest, if not Debian
> >directly.
> >
> Debian directly.
> Bdale Garbee still handles all their Linux consultation work.
>
> http://www.gag.com/~bdale/nc4000/

Thanks for the feedback. I'm afraid this is getting a little OT though.
While I am quite interested in the level of official support commercial
vendors provide debian, today I'm more interested in community
support...

I already have my hardware (Dell 2950 + Qlogic 2432 + Promise VTrak),
I'm just wondering about using multipath.

Anyone using multipath in production on etch? Happy with it? I'm at
least going to be doing some testing with it. I'm just fishing for a
statement like: "Yes, I've used multipath on at least twenty heavily
used servers for quite some time and it's like a rock." Or maybe "Don't
even think about it unless you're insane, because I lost my job, my
family, and even my dog doing that." That kind of thing.

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager
Mount Holyoke College
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~rpeterso


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Gilles Mocellin
 
Default stability of multipath

Le Monday 07 January 2008 06:55:30 Alex Samad, vous avez écrit*:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:05:29PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > 2008-01-06_21:12:01-0500 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> > > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00:00PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > > > Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
> > > > production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath
> > > > for a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using
> > > > qlogic 2432 hbas. This would the first time I did this in
> > > > production, however, so it would be nice to have some reassurance
> > > > that I'm not sticking my neck out too far.
> > >
> > > who provide you storage, probably best to talk to them, most vendor
> > > have matrix's out what combo of storage/hw/firmware/sw they have
> > > certified, I believe HP have looked at multipath, not sure about the
> > > others
> >
> > In general, I find most such matrixes exclude Debian, preferring to
> > focus on corporate distro's like Suse, Redhat, etc. That hasn't scared
> > me away from using Debian where I know the pieces well enough. But
> > multipath is new to me, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.
>
> true but you can check the version numbers, even download their packages
> and fit them into your debian system.
>
> I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly

Perhaps, yes, but...
I had the confirmation last week : Debian is not supported in a SAN
environment. They don't provide the Qlogic drivers and firmware.

And for multipathing, the qlogic drivers they provide for RedHat handle the
multipathing. Not the current open source ones (more recent, it needs
multipath-tools).

These things appart, I use Debian on my SAN (2xEVA4000 arrays), with
multipath-tools (4 paths), mirroring with md (also not supported) between the
EVAs (I don't want to pay for Continuous Access !) and redhat-cluster-suite
for managing CLVM and failover resources resources.

Only unsupported things, either by HP or RedHat (If I were using RedHat for
the cluster suite)...

Since then, I don't had any problems...
 
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default stability of multipath

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 01:16:12AM +0100, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le Monday 07 January 2008 06:55:30 Alex Samad, vous avez écrit*:
> > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:05:29PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > > 2008-01-06_21:12:01-0500 Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au>:
> > > > On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:00:00PM -0500, Ron Peterson wrote:
> > > > > Is anyone on this list using multipath and/or multipath-tools in
> > > > > production at an enterprise level? I'm considering using multipath
> > > > > for a new fileserver and a new mailserver, running etch, using
> > > > > qlogic 2432 hbas. This would the first time I did this in
> > > > > production, however, so it would be nice to have some reassurance
> > > > > that I'm not sticking my neck out too far.
> > > >
> > > > who provide you storage, probably best to talk to them, most vendor
> > > > have matrix's out what combo of storage/hw/firmware/sw they have
> > > > certified, I believe HP have looked at multipath, not sure about the
> > > > others
> > >
> > > In general, I find most such matrixes exclude Debian, preferring to
> > > focus on corporate distro's like Suse, Redhat, etc. That hasn't scared
> > > me away from using Debian where I know the pieces well enough. But
> > > multipath is new to me, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone.
> >
> > true but you can check the version numbers, even download their packages
> > and fit them into your debian system.
> >
> > I believe HP is becoming more debian friendly
>
> Perhaps, yes, but...
> I had the confirmation last week : Debian is not supported in a SAN
> environment. They don't provide the Qlogic drivers and firmware.
>
> And for multipathing, the qlogic drivers they provide for RedHat handle the
> multipathing. Not the current open source ones (more recent, it needs
> multipath-tools).
I have heard that they are moving back towards using the qlogic one ( ie not
producing their own), just taking time for the qlogic to come up to speed
>
> These things appart, I use Debian on my SAN (2xEVA4000 arrays), with
> multipath-tools (4 paths), mirroring with md (also not supported) between the
> EVAs (I don't want to pay for Continuous Access !) and redhat-cluster-suite
> for managing CLVM and failover resources resources.
me to (apart from the multi eva mirroring)
>
> Only unsupported things, either by HP or RedHat (If I were using RedHat for
> the cluster suite)...
>
> Since then, I don't had any problems...
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org