Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Kun Niu

Default How to use Sun Java instead of gcj

How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?

Ogya Chief wrote:
I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5. Upon
further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on the machine
and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:

1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I
can remove gcj?
2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice intact,
how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?

Any help in this direction will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ogya

Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Ogya Chief

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:03:15 +0800
> From: haoniukun@gmail.com
> To: ogyachief@hotmail.com
> CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How to use Sun Java instead of gcj
>
> How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?
>
> Ogya Chief wrote:
> > I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5. Upon
> > further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on the machine
> > and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I
> > can remove gcj?
> > 2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice intact,
> > how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?
> >
> > Any help in this direction will be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Ogya

Thanks, Kun Niu. I will look into that option.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Ogya Chief

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 09:03:15 +0800
> From: haoniukun@gmail.com
> To: ogyachief@hotmail.com
> CC: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: How to use Sun Java instead of gcj
>
> How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?
>
> Ogya Chief wrote:
> > I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5. Upon
> > further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on the machine
> > and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I
> > can remove gcj?
> > 2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice intact,
> > how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?
> >
> > Any help in this direction will be very much appreciated.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Ogya

Update-alternatives did the trick.

Windows 7: Simplify what you do everyday. Find the right PC for you.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 02:53:16AM +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:

> I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5. Upon further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on the machine and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:
>
> 1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I can remove gcj?
> 2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice intact, how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?

Lenny has a package of openjdk, which is practically Sun's Java (1.6) -
openjdk-6-jdk

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Frank Lin PIAT

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 03:53 +0200, Ogya Chief wrote:
> > From: haoniukun@gmail.com
> >
> > How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?
> >
> > Ogya Chief wrote:
> > > I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5.
> > > Upon further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on
> > > the machine and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:
> > >
> > > 1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I
> > > can remove gcj?

> Update-alternatives did the trick.
Yes, this is exactly the way to change the default jre.

> > > 2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice
> > > intact, how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?

Also...

Since Openoffice declares a dependency:
Suggest: java-gcj-compat | sun-java5-jre | java2-runtime

It means that OOo can use any of those JRE. Therefore, you can use your
package manager to remove gcj and install any `java2-runtime` instead.
(Assuming no other package depends exclusively on gcj).

Note that when you remove a package which provide an "alternative", that
package will invoke update-alternatives when it is removed, so it is
reconfigured if needed.

Franklin

Old 01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Jochen Schulz

Please don't top-post.

Kun Niu:

> How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?

Java alternatives are more easily changed by running
update-java-alternatives. This way you don't have to change all of the
numerous Java-related alternatives manually.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Clive Standbridge

> How about trying to use update-alternatives to set java?

You might want to look at update-java-alternatives which controls
quite a long list of Java-related alternatives besides "java".

See for example
update-java-alternatives -v -l

Cheers,
Clive

Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Clive Standbridge

> Lenny has a package of openjdk, which is practically Sun's Java (1.6) -
> openjdk-6-jdk

If you use the plugin through a web proxy you'll need to use
sun-java6-plugin because icedtea-gcjwebplugin doesn't respect browser
proxy settings.

Otherwise openjdk seems to work well.

Cheers,
Clive

Old 01-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta

On 06/01/10 20:23, Ogya Chief wrote:
I installed sun-java6 but "java -version" showed version 1.5. Upon
further investigation I realised gcj is also installed on the machine
and OpenOffice depends on it. I have two questions:

1. How can I make OpenOffice use Sun-java instead of gcj so that I
can remove gcj?
2. If it is not possible to remove gcj and keep OpenOffice intact,
how can I compile java 1.6 programs using sun-java6?

Any help in this direction will be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ogya

<http://windows.microsoft.com/shop>

You can remove OpenOffice and GCJ with apt-get, then install ooo*
packages for Debian downloaded from OpenOffice.org.

"You don't know where your shadow will fall",
Somebody.-

Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 08:56:17PM -0430, Olaf Reitmaier Veracierta wrote:

> You can remove OpenOffice and GCJ with apt-get, then install ooo*
> packages for Debian downloaded from OpenOffice.org.

And what would that buy you?

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend