Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Sebastian

Default How to temporary set dvorak keymap in terminal

Hello everybody

I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great.
What I'm interested in if there's an easy way to (temporarily as I'm
nowhere near fluent yet) load another keymap as an ordinary user in a
regular terminal session. I have tried the loadkeys command but that
doesn't work for a ordinary user here.
I'm running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly
testing). Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

--
When you become used to never being alone, you may consider yourself
Americanized.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 22:32:52 +0000, Sebastian wrote:

> I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
> dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
> 'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great. What I'm interested in if there's
> an easy way to (temporarily as I'm nowhere near fluent yet) load another
> keymap as an ordinary user in a regular terminal session. I have tried
> the loadkeys command but that doesn't work for a ordinary user here. I'm
> running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly testing). Any
> suggestions appreciated.

Although I don't like using "sudo" so much, this can be a good reason to
set it up :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Sebastian

Hi Camaleón and thanks for your time

I was hoping there would be a way without using root. But loadkeys
changes the keymap for all users on all virtual terminals AFAIK which
is what I'm trying to avoid cause I do usually have several running
sessions under several different usernames (e.g. myself messing,
myself working, myself doing some more messing, my missus, my
housemate) at the same time and would like to be able to just kinda
change the keymap for one session for a while, then change it back
without affecting anybody else (including myself doing maintenance
work on another console at the same time). I'd be surprised if that's
undo-able somehow with Debian.

Cheerio!

Sebastian

--
Keep this and all chemicals out of the reach of children.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Chris Jones

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 07:21:23AM EST, Sebastian wrote:
> Hi Camaleón and thanks for your time
>
> I was hoping there would be a way without using root. But loadkeys
> changes the keymap for all users on all virtual terminals AFAIK which
> is what I'm trying to avoid cause I do usually have several running
> sessions under several different usernames (e.g. myself messing,
> myself working, myself doing some more messing, my missus, my
> housemate) at the same time and would like to be able to just kinda
> change the keymap for one session for a while, then change it back
> without affecting anybody else (including myself doing maintenance
> work on another console at the same time). I'd be surprised if that's
> undo-able somehow with Debian.

xmodmap?

This may help:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004022913081779

CJ

Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Anthony Baldwin

> > I was hoping there would be a way without using root.
> But loadkeys
> > changes the keymap for all users on all virtual
> terminals AFAIK which
> > is what I'm trying to avoid cause I do usually have
> several running
> > sessions under several different usernames (e.g.
> myself messing,
> > myself working, myself doing some more messing, my
> missus, my
> > housemate) at the same time and would like to be able
> to just kinda
> > change the keymap for one session for a while, then
> change it back
> > without affecting anybody else (including myself doing
> maintenance
> > work on another console at the same time).* I'd
> be surprised if that's
> > undo-able somehow with Debian.
>
> xmodmap?
>
> This may help:
>
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004022913081779
>
> CJ

How about simply

:~$ setxkbmap dvorak

/tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations & interpreting

http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
tcl yer os with a feather

Old 01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Chris Jones

On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 12:29:34PM EST, Anthony Baldwin wrote:
> --- On Sat, 1/9/10, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

[..]

> > xmodmap?
> >
> > This may help:
> >
> > http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004022913081779
> >
> > CJ
> >

> How about simply
>
> :~$ setxkbmap dvorak

Had a feeling he'd tried that but it changed the keyboard layout in all
instances of his terminal emulator and he needed something that would
let him run qwerty & dvorak concurrently. Maybe setxkbmap lets you do
that anyway, I haven't checked.

Maybe wrong about what the OP wants though, since I deleted his orginal
post.

CJ

Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:32:52PM +0000, Sebastian wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
> dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
> 'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great.
> What I'm interested in if there's an easy way to (temporarily as I'm
> nowhere near fluent yet) load another keymap as an ordinary user in a
> regular terminal session. I have tried the loadkeys command but that
> doesn't work for a ordinary user here.
> I'm running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly
> testing). Any suggestions appreciated.

There are some window managers (e.g. the one of KDE) that support
per-window keyboard mapping. Or rather: with XKB, you have up to 4
groups, and switching between them is relatively cheap. Thus this
supports switching groups between windows.

I suppose you can map querty for one groups and dvorak for another. Not
exactly sure how.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Sebastian

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 09:16AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:32:52PM +0000, Sebastian wrote:
> > Hello everybody
> >
> > I'm just getting started learning the dvorak layout using the package
> > dvorak7min. So far I have only been able to practice under X using
> > 'setxkbdmap dvorak' which works great.
> > What I'm interested in if there's an easy way to (temporarily as I'm
> > nowhere near fluent yet) load another keymap as an ordinary user in a
> > regular terminal session. I have tried the loadkeys command but that
> > doesn't work for a ordinary user here.
> > I'm running a mixed-release debian with apt-pinning (mainly
> > testing). Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> There are some window managers (e.g. the one of KDE) that support
> per-window keyboard mapping. Or rather: with XKB, you have up to 4
> groups, and switching between them is relatively cheap. Thus this
> supports switching groups between windows.
>
> I suppose you can map querty for one groups and dvorak for another. Not
> exactly sure how.

Thanks for all your time and help, greatly appreciated. I think I have
been a bit unclear in my wording: I'm looking for something to
temporarily set a different keymap in a /console/-session, as in
'text-only'! I have no problems doing this within X - although I only
used the 'setxkbmap'-approach.

So thanks again for all your suggestions, but I'm looking for a way to
switch to the dvorak-layout for the /console/, not for X. And of
course - sorry for all the confusion (although some say it's the first
step on the long path to enlightenment).

Thanks again

Cheerio

Sebastian

Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 PM
green

Sebastian wrote at 2010-01-10 10:56 -0600:
> Thanks for all your time and help, greatly appreciated. I think I have
> been a bit unclear in my wording: I'm looking for something to
> temporarily set a different keymap in a /console/-session, as in
> 'text-only'! I have no problems doing this within X - although I only
> used the 'setxkbmap'-approach.
>
> So thanks again for all your suggestions, but I'm looking for a way to
> switch to the dvorak-layout for the /console/, not for X. And of
> course - sorry for all the confusion (although some say it's the first
> step on the long path to enlightenment).

And also I think you mentioned you only want to change the layout for 1 of the
consoles, not all.

I have been using the Dvorak layout for a while now and although it was very
hard for me to learn a new layout I do not regret it. I use the backspace key
far less frequently than I did with the QWERTY layout.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:29 AM
Tom H

> I was hoping there would be a way without using root. But loadkeys
> changes the keymap for all users on all virtual terminals AFAIK which
> is what I'm trying to avoid cause I do usually have several running
> sessions under several different usernames (e.g. myself messing,
> myself working, myself doing some more messing, my missus, my
> housemate) at the same time and would like to be able to just kinda
> change the keymap for one session for a while, then change it back
> without affecting anybody else (including myself doing maintenance
> work on another console at the same time). *I'd be surprised if that's
> undo-able somehow with Debian.

>From the loadkeys man page:

Note that the keyboard translation table is common for all the virtual
con-soles, so any changes to the keyboard bindings affect all the
virtual consoles simultaneously. Note that because the changes affect
all the virtual consoles, they also outlive your session. This means
that even at the login prompt the key bindings may not be what the
user expects.