Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Vasco Costa

Default Back to Debian after 10 years

Alright, I'm back to Debian after having used it extensively in the late
90's and early 2000's. By that time I was a regular "RPM hell" sufferer,
thus APT was the main feature which made me switch to Debian.

Initially I was comfortable sticking with stable releases, however the
will to stay bleeding edge and the prospect of a rolling release soon
saw me using the testing/unstable distros. From what I remember back in
those days those were really a bumpy ride (specially for someone with a
couple of years of experience).

Then I found Gentoo and it was love at first sight, until I got tired of
compiling everything in old hardware. Archlinux was then my next and
last distro hop, with good binary repos and a great packaging system it
provided me with a rolling release which was actually quite stable
compared with Debian testing/unstable. Not to mention ABS whenever there
were no binary packages available.

However things change and after using Archlinux for the last 7 years my
desire to keep on the bleeding edge has died. In fact, I don't have the
time to keep merging new confs, fix packages when they eventually break
or even the general housekeeping a rolling release implies.

Therefore, I'm happy to announce I've installed Debian Lenny in my latop
and I feel just great! All of a sudden, stable feels great again for me,
after so many years. From my experience I can definitely point out both
Debian and Archlinux as the best Linux distros I've ever used, each with
its pros and cons. I do miss a little bit the minimalism of Archlinux,
but now I value more the stability and security Lenny provides me
without any effort.

Maybe I get back to testing/unstable when the urge for rolling release
gets back to me, provided I have some more time.

Above all I like to use the right tool for the right job at the right
time!

--
Vasco Costa

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Vasco Costa

I'm planning to stay forever this time.

To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using
stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to
Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm
sticking with Lenny on my laptop.

By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
power user? I know all the nuts and bolts of Archlinux, including
using the testing repo and ABS massively, so a comparison by someone
which has used both currently would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Vasco Costa

Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Brent Clark

To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using
stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to
Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm
sticking with Lenny on my laptop.

I wouldnt bother, try Ubuntu.

By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
power user? I know all the nuts and bolts of Archlinux, including
using the testing repo and ABS massively, so a comparison by someone
which has used both currently would be much appreciated.

I only ever use Debian testing for my workstations, and Ubuntu for my
laptop.

You milage may vary, but for me, I vary rarely have issues, if at all.

I think if you run Testing, its no different if you run / use FreeBSD
ports. You just need to know, and guess if its safe to do a dist-upgrade
or upgrade only certain packages, but 99% of the time, I just
dist-upgrade, and as said .. no problems here. Even Ubuntu, Ive never
had a problem.

I work for a large hosting company in South Africa, and Stable is a
blessing for our production servers, as it allows us to get on with the
real work, and not have to worry. Just wish they would hurry and freeze
Debian now already, I think testing is pretty stable.

Brent Clark

Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Jochen Schulz

Vasco Costa:

> I'm planning to stay forever this time.

I never switched during the whole time I have used Linux and never
regretted when I touched another distribution.

> By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
> does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
> power user?

I have been running sid for the last five years or so and almost never
had had serious breakage. The worst things that I remember were a broken
X server or boot manager. Most of the time, it just works. You should
just refrain from doing thoughtless dist-/full-upgrades. I usually only
do safe-upgrades and from time to time check whether a full-upgrade
should work.

Of course, skimming over this list every other day and reading the
announce lists helps a lot. That way you know when specific things are
currently broken or when major transitions take place. Of course,
knowing the BTS helps as well.

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Matthew Moore

On Wednesday January 6 2010 1:52:11 pm Brent Clark wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 22:28, Vasco Costa wrote:
> > I'm planning to stay forever this time.
> >
> > To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using
> > stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to
> > Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm
> > sticking with Lenny on my laptop.
>
> I wouldnt bother, try Ubuntu.

When I bought a new laptop a year ago, I spent weeks trying out Ubuntu, Arch,
Suse, etc, and eventually went back to Debian. Debian on a laptop works
fabulously.

For an experienced linux user, Debian on a laptop provides a lot more
flexibility, power, and performance than Ubuntu.

MM

Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Mark

>On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Matthew Moore <anonymous.jondoe@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday January 6 2010 1:52:11 pm Brent Clark wrote:

> On 06/01/2010 22:28, Vasco Costa wrote:

> > I'm planning to stay forever this time.

> > To be really honest I've never really quit Debian since I kept using

> > stable in servers. I've only switched from Debian testing/unstable to

> > Gentoo and then Archlinux. Now that I also value a stable desktop I'm

> > sticking with Lenny on my laptop.

> I wouldnt bother, try Ubuntu.

>When I bought a new laptop a year ago, I spent weeks trying out Ubuntu, Arch,

>Suse, etc, and eventually went back to Debian. Debian on a laptop works

>fabulously.

>For an experienced linux user, Debian on a laptop provides a lot more

>flexibility, power, and performance than Ubuntu.

This has been my experience also, except I'm not even that experienced at Linux. My girlfriend bought a Dell Mini netbook half a year ago; I set up a dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.04, then upgraded to 9.10.* Maybe it's because of dual-booting, but with Ubuntu wanting to keep installing new kernels it was a constant hassle keeping the grub menu behaving properly.* When a recent Ubuntu update temporarily broke Firefox we said enough, and I installed Squeeze.* I wanted to install Lenny (which I run on 4 of my own machines - 2 desktops and 2 laptops) but due to the alsa-conf version not supporting the modern audio hardware in the netbook, Squeeze was the answer.* She never wants to go back to Ubuntu after using Debian now.

Something about using Debian just feels "right".* But the beauty of Linux is we have the power of choice so if Ubuntu works for someone else I'm not one to try and change their mind.

Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 07:33 AM
didier gaumet

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:28:08 +0000,
Vasco Costa <vasco.costa@geekslot.com> wrote :

[...]
> By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
> does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
> power user? I know all the nuts and bolts of Archlinux, including
> using the testing repo and ABS massively, so a comparison by someone
> which has used both currently would be much appreciated.

Hi,

While I have been using Debian Stable for years, I have tested
numerous linux distros ands *BSD and last year I switched to Archlinux
for several months. Eventually I came back to Debian Stable because
it does not need to be continuously updated, being not a rolling
release distribution. That is the sole reason.

To *me*, Debian is Unstable is not a rolling release ditribution: it
is a continuously modified test distribution and is nowhere near
Archlinux in terms of stability.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Vasco Costa

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 09:33 +0100, didier gaumet wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 20:28:08 +0000,
> Vasco Costa <vasco.costa@geekslot.com> wrote :
>
> [...]
> > By the way, in case I want to go back to a rolling release scheme, how
> > does Debian testing/unstable behave in this regard for an experienced
> > power user? I know all the nuts and bolts of Archlinux, including
> > using the testing repo and ABS massively, so a comparison by someone
> > which has used both currently would be much appreciated.
>
> Hi,
>
> While I have been using Debian Stable for years, I have tested
> numerous linux distros ands *BSD and last year I switched to Archlinux
> for several months. Eventually I came back to Debian Stable because
> it does not need to be continuously updated, being not a rolling
> release distribution. That is the sole reason.
>
> To *me*, Debian is Unstable is not a rolling release ditribution: it
> is a continuously modified test distribution and is nowhere near
> Archlinux in terms of stability.

Thanks a lot for your replies Didier, Matthew and Mark.

Didier,

You went right to the point by letting me know that Debian unstable
doesn't quite work like Archlinux for you.

Anyway, I feel like using stable for the foreseeable future as I'm more
than happy with it. Should that need for the latest versions grow again
on me I'll probably get back to Archlinux, nevertheless I'll give a
decent try to Debian testing and unstable first.

--
Vasco Costa

Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
bosco

You might take a look at Sidux, it is a distro compiled out of
unstable. I used it for a while. It is well supported and has a good
group at the Sidux forum.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Thu January 7 2010, bosco wrote:
> You might take a look at Sidux, it is a distro compiled out of
> unstable. I used it for a while. It is well supported and has a good
> group at the Sidux forum.

but no email list.. I installed sidux on my laptop, getting rid of Ubuntu..
still have lenny on my desktop. My only real problem was installing the
ipw2200 app for my wireless.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800