Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM
green

Default building a mesh+star topology vpn

I am new to VPNs but it seems to be what I need for the following scenario:

- Host A is a main system with public IP
- Host B is an extra system with a public IP
- Host C is a laptop often behind masquerading firewalls
- Host D,E,F... could be behind any sort of firewalls; no port forwarding

- C should be able to connect to all systems, even if one of A or B go down.
- Minimal usage, like ssh and an occasional VNC.
- Possible occasional backups to A.
- Minimal configuration, especially on D,E,F.
- All systems run Debian (A,B,C) or Ubuntu (D,E,F).
- Room for more systems like B.
- Room for lots more systems like D.

I like the idea of a mesh topology VPN for providing alternate routes using
tunnels through either A or B, though the VPN will look more like a star
topology most of the time. The VPN should automatically detect a switch to a
private address and provide a tunnel as necessary.

I have looked some of the options and maybe tinc will do this, according to
http://openvpn.net/archive/openvpn-users/2004-10/msg00486.html
"automatically create a full mesh where possible"
But tinc's configuration looks over-complicated to me...

Ideas/thoughts welcome; thanks.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM
green

green wrote at 2010-01-06 11:18 -0600:
> I am new to VPNs but it seems to be what I need for the following scenario:
>
> - Host A is a main system with public IP
> - Host B is an extra system with a public IP
> - Host C is a laptop often behind masquerading firewalls
> - Host D,E,F... could be behind any sort of firewalls; no port forwarding
>
> - C should be able to connect to all systems, even if one of A or B go down.
> - Minimal usage, like ssh and an occasional VNC.
> - Possible occasional backups to A.
> - Minimal configuration, especially on D,E,F.
> - All systems run Debian (A,B,C) or Ubuntu (D,E,F).
> - Room for more systems like B.
> - Room for lots more systems like D.
>

> I like the idea of a mesh topology VPN for providing alternate routes using
> tunnels through either A or B, though the VPN will look more like a star
> topology most of the time. The VPN should automatically detect a switch to a
> private address and provide a tunnel as necessary.

Perhaps CloudVPN can provide this functionality, but it is not part of Debian.
http://www.e-x-a.org/?view=cloudvpn

I might have to go with openvpn instead and depend on a central server for the
sake of simplicity.