Old 11-22-2007, 03:36 PM
"H.S."

Default configuring ADSL via a gui

Hello,

Since I started using Debian, I have always used pppoeconf command to
set up my ADSL connection. Now I am a situation trying to convince a few
others that Linux based OS is very easy to use. So, is how do I go about
configuring an ADSL connection via gui? Does network-manager support it?
And can it be done on both Testing and Unstable?

thanks,
->HS

Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Chris G

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:36:27AM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since I started using Debian, I have always used pppoeconf command to
> set up my ADSL connection. Now I am a situation trying to convince a few
> others that Linux based OS is very easy to use. So, is how do I go about
> configuring an ADSL connection via gui? Does network-manager support it?
> And can it be done on both Testing and Unstable?

Surely nearly all routers (and who uses anything except a router
nowadays?) have web configuration so they don't care what OS you're
using. Just pointer your browser at the router and set it up! :-)

--
Chris Green

Old 11-22-2007, 03:57 PM
John Hasler

HS writes:
> Since I started using Debian, I have always used pppoeconf command to set
> up my ADSL connection. Now I am a situation trying to convince a few
> others that Linux based OS is very easy to use. So, is how do I go about
> configuring an ADSL connection via gui?

Pppoeconf has a GUI.
--
John Hasler

Old 11-22-2007, 04:23 PM
John Hasler

Chris Green writes:
> Surely nearly all routers (and who uses anything except a router
> nowadays?) have web configuration so they don't care what OS you're
> using. Just pointer your browser at the router and set it up!

Most DSL modems have what purport to be router/firewalls in them but they
are crap. Best to put the modem in bridge mode and use a seperate
router/firewall. I use an old Aptiva running Debian.
--
John Hasler