Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Sven Joachim

Default 64-Bit Land

On 2010-01-06 07:45 +0100, Freeman wrote:

> Can anyone speculate on when 32-Bit Land will stop evolving and we will all
> have to part the waters and migrate to 64-Bit Land?

I guess that there is little to worry for the next ten years. However,
you should better complete the transition to 64 bit before
January 19, 2038. Bad things will happen on that date.

Sven

--
It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Freeman

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:03:39AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-01-06 07:45 +0100, Freeman wrote:
>
> > Can anyone speculate on when 32-Bit Land will stop evolving and we will all
> > have to part the waters and migrate to 64-Bit Land?
>
> I guess that there is little to worry for the next ten years. However,
> you should better complete the transition to 64 bit before
> January 19, 2038. Bad things will happen on that date.

Whew! I'll be dead.

But is somebody still building 32-bit cpu's?

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-06 18:13 +0100, Freeman wrote:

> But is somebody still building 32-bit cpu's?

Yes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture, for instance.
It will be fun when all those embedded devices break.

Sven

Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
John Hasler

Freeman writes:
> But is somebody still building 32-bit cpu's?

Of course, and 16-bit and 8-bit as well. Embedded systems vastly
outnumber pcs and are rarely 64-bit.
--
John Hasler

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Stan Hoeppner

John Hasler put forth on 1/6/2010 12:48 PM:
> Freeman writes:
>> But is somebody still building 32-bit cpu's?
>
> Of course, and 16-bit and 8-bit as well. Embedded systems vastly
> outnumber pcs and are rarely 64-bit.

And there are a lot of embedded 32 bit Linux systems in the wild, and many more
being manufactured today and tomorrow. Most, if not all, netbooks have 32 bit CPUs.

Over half the Intel Atom processors are 32 bit only:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/atom/specifications.htm

Six of VIA's eight current processors are 32 bit:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/

There are many many companies still building 32 bit CPUs. I think the question
you really meant to ask: "Is somebody still building mainstream x86 desktop 32
bit only CPUs?"

The answer to that is, sadly, no, not really.

--
Stan

Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM
"Andrew M.A. Cater"

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 18:21 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-01-06 18:13 +0100, Freeman wrote:
>
> > But is somebody still building 32-bit cpu's?
>
> Yes, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture, for instance.
> It will be fun when all those embedded devices break.
>
> Sven

And some relatively current Intel Atoms - including the one in this
machine which doesn't have 64 bit capability.

Lots of embedded systems too - but at least it's not 2016 yet ... oh no,
wait ...

AndyC