-   -   Apt-zip-inst keeps trying to use internet (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/305069-apt-zip-inst-keeps-trying-use-internet.html)

Jason Heeris 01-06-2010 05:43 AM

Apt-zip-inst keeps trying to use internet

I'm trying to install about 1GB worth of packages on a computer with a
slow net connection (this is immediately after a clean Squeeze
install). Someone told me about apt-zip, so I gave it a go.

The trouble was, I was at home and the computer I wanted to install on
wasn't. So I created a virtual machine, did a clean install of
Squeeze, and ran "apt-zip-list -p `cat packages.txt` -m apt-packages
--skip-mount" to get the script in a directory "apt-packages". I then
copied this directory to the host, ran the fetch script and burnt the
resulting packages to a DVD. ("packages.txt" contains many packages,
so I won't post it here unless it's vital.)

Now I've copied the "apt-packages" dir from the DVD (including all the
debs and the apt-zip.options file) to the /root dir on the computer I
actually want to do this on. I ran "apt-zip-inst -p `cat packages.txt`
-m apt-packages --skip-mount", answer "Y" to the apt-get prompt and...
apt-get starts trying to download a bunch of packages from my local
mirror! Okay, so I try "ifdown eth0". Now I get a lot of "Failed to
fetch http://....." for all the packages, followed by "E: Unable to
fetch some archives...".

I'm no beginner to Debian, but I'm stumped here. I've never used
apt-zip before, but shouldn't it work without a net connection?

In the meantime, I might try to create a local repository if I can get
the tools onto the machine in question.

Please CC me to any replies :)

Cheers,
Jason

Javier Barroso 01-06-2010 11:10 AM

Apt-zip-inst keeps trying to use internet

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to install about 1GB worth of packages on a computer with a
> slow net connection (this is immediately after a clean Squeeze
> install). Someone told me about apt-zip, so I gave it a go.
apt-zip worked for me sometime ago, but now there is a new replacement:

http://packages.debian.org/apt-offline

> The trouble was, I was at home and the computer I wanted to install on
> wasn't. So I created a virtual machine, did a clean install of
> Squeeze, and ran "apt-zip-list -p `cat packages.txt` -m apt-packages
> --skip-mount" to get the script in a directory "apt-packages". I then
> copied this directory to the host, ran the fetch script and burnt the
> resulting packages to a DVD. ("packages.txt" contains many packages,
> so I won't post it here unless it's vital.)
>
> Now I've copied the "apt-packages" dir from the DVD (including all the
> debs and the apt-zip.options file) to the /root dir on the computer I
> actually want to do this on. I ran "apt-zip-inst -p `cat packages.txt`
> -m apt-packages --skip-mount", answer "Y" to the apt-get prompt and...
> apt-get starts trying to download a bunch of packages from my local
> mirror! Okay, so I try "ifdown eth0". Now I get a lot of "Failed to
> fetch http://....." for all the packages, followed by "E: Unable to
> fetch some archives...".
>
> I'm no beginner to Debian, but I'm stumped here. I've never used
> apt-zip before, but shouldn't it work without a net connection?
Yes apt-zip works without any connetion.

I remember (don't sure):

Run apt-zip (with I don't remember options) in host with low
connection and get an archive with all package names you need and I
don't known if anymore.

Then run apt-zip (again I don't remember options) in a computer with
more bandwith, so this generate another file.

The last step is running again apt-zip in the host with the recently
generated file.

> In the meantime, I might try to create a local repository if I can get
> the tools onto the machine in question.
I would try apt-offline instead.

Jason Heeris 01-09-2010 03:38 PM

2010/1/6 Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:
> apt-zip worked for me sometime ago, but now there is a new replacement:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/apt-offline

Ooh, thanks, I'll look into that.

> Yes apt-zip works without any connetion.
>
> I remember (don't sure):
>
> Run apt-zip (with I don't remember options) in host with low
> connection and get an archive with all package names you need and I
> don't known if anymore.

This was the problem step - I wasn't sitting at the computer at the
time, so I used a virtual machine.

The trouble was, in the time between me using the VM and actually
doing the install on the real thing, some of the repository contents
changed. I guess this violates one of the assumptions of apt-zip, so
it's user error. (It was probably only going to download a few
packages, but I saw them start and thought "uh oh, that's huge...")

I eventually solved the problem by dumping the downloaded packages in
the cache and doing my best to transfer the few remaining debs across.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and apologies for the "user error" type noise.

Cheers,
Jason