Old 01-06-2010, 02:30 AM
"s. keeling"

Default New testing install; no /boot/grub/menu.lst exists.

I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.

How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.

I've $(googled) "site:lists.debian.org debian testing grub menu.lst"
to no avail. This is Intel 32 bit, Compaq Evo, .5 Gb RAM.

Other than this, it looks great. Install went well, can't wait to
check out the logs and play with the thing. Thanks. Help?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 AM
"Wayne

s. keeling wrote:

I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.

How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.

I've $(googled) "site:lists.debian.org debian testing grub menu.lst"
to no avail. This is Intel 32 bit, Compaq Evo, .5 Gb RAM.

Other than this, it looks great. Install went well, can't wait to
check out the logs and play with the thing. Thanks. Help?

Google for grub2 Or
aptitude search grub2

Lots of reading to do or questions to ask.

You might be interested in grub-legacy, which is the grub you are used to.

Have fun

Wayne

Old 01-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Freeman

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:30:32AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
> sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
> first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
>
> How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
> I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
> renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.

Replaced by grub.cfg . But Grub2 is run by scripts in /etc/default and
/etc/grub.d .

If you don't want to study partially existing wiki instructions: make a
menu.lst to include all the settings you would have use in Grub-legacy and
reinstall Grub2. It will configure from menu.lst .

Or just install Grub-legacy.

Grub2 is the recommended default but still considered under development. So
was legacy I guess, it never reached V 1.0 . However, legacy still gives me
control over the look of an extensive menu and a background image which I am
accustomed to.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Alan Ianson

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 20:52 -0800, Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:30:32AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> > I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
> > sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
> > first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
> >
> > How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
> > I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
> > renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.
> >

> Replaced by grub.cfg . But Grub2 is run by scripts in /etc/default and
> /etc/grub.d .
>
> If you don't want to study partially existing wiki instructions: make a
> menu.lst to include all the settings you would have use in Grub-legacy and
> reinstall Grub2. It will configure from menu.lst .
>
> Or just install Grub-legacy.
>
> Grub2 is the recommended default but still considered under development. So
> was legacy I guess, it never reached V 1.0 . However, legacy still gives me
> control over the look of an extensive menu and a background image which I am
> accustomed to.

There is a package called grub2-splashimages that contains background
images. I use it here and grub2 looks about the same as grub always did
although the configuration is different.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 AM
Freeman

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:30:32AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
> sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
> first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
>
> How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
> I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
> renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.

Additionally, I think you can drop the relevant boot line into
/etc/grub.d/custom40 . Or install os-prober and run

# update-grub

which is a stub for update-grub2 which is a stub for grub-mkconfig .

But I had better stop here since I uninstalled Grub2 in January.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Paul E Condon

On 20100106_033032, s. keeling wrote:
> I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
> sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
> first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
>
> How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
> I can create it, but I'm expecting you to tell me it's been moved or
> renamed or $(debian_gotcha'd) or something.
>
> I've $(googled) "site:lists.debian.org debian testing grub menu.lst"
> to no avail. This is Intel 32 bit, Compaq Evo, .5 Gb RAM.
>
> Other than this, it looks great. Install went well, can't wait to
> check out the logs and play with the thing. Thanks. Help?

Testing uses grub2 by default.

# update-grub<cr>

creates a new grub.cfg file, which is the replacement for menu.lst,
based on info in certain magical locations in /etc. If you have an
incomplete list of installed kernels after a fresh install, just rerun
update-grub, and that should fix it.

YMMV, HTH, etc, etc

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Freeman

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 09:17:40PM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 20:52 -0800, Freeman wrote:
> > Grub2 is the recommended default but still considered under development. So
> > was legacy I guess, it never reached V 1.0 . However, legacy still gives me
> > control over the look of an extensive menu and a background image which I am
> > accustomed to.
>
> There is a package called grub2-splashimages that contains background
> images. I use it here and grub2 looks about the same as grub always did
> although the configuration is different.

They are getting there. The wiki mentions something about starting work on
the "fancy menu." Of course, I think that's been there nigh a year.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 PM
"s. keeling"

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> <linuxtwo@gmail.com>:
> s. keeling wrote:
> > I'm new to testing. I've been running stable on primary box and (eg.)
> > sid on sandbox for years. This is testing is on my sandbox for the
> > first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
> >
> > How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
>
> You might be interested in grub-legacy, which is the grub you are
> used to.

Thanks. That's looking very tempting at the moment. So far, I've not
solved it.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 AM
"s. keeling"

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> On 20100106_033032, s. keeling wrote:
> >
> > first time. I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.
> >
> > How do I add the latter to testing's grub? /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.
>
> Testing uses grub2 by default.
>
> # update-grub<cr>
>
> creates a new grub.cfg file, which is the replacement for menu.lst,
> based on info in certain magical locations in /etc. If you have an
> incomplete list of installed kernels after a fresh install, just rerun
> update-grub, and that should fix it.
>
> YMMV, HTH, etc, etc

Thanks. I'm beginning to think reportbug is going to be the solution
to this. I've created a generic menu.lst, run update-grub numerous
times, reinstalled grub2, replaced it with grub-legacy, ...

The suggested "grub-config" doesn't exist (apt-file search doesn't
find it), update-grub complains bitterly about the ptns:

[ 1326.943454 ] UFS-fs error (device hda1): ufs_check_page:
bad entry in directory #2 ...

I've added OBSD to /etc/grub.d/40_custom ... No joy.

On top of that, once logged in via gdm, my mouse goes invisible. Great.
Classic "Debian gotcha's". Exactly why I want to run testing on my
sandbox. :-)

Neither grub2 nor grub-legacy ever offer OBSD as a boot option. I'd
be happy to go forward w grub2 if I can get it to work.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Tom H

>> > first time. *I just installed both squeeze(?)/testing and OpenBSD 4.6.

>> > How do I add the latter to testing's grub? */boot/grub/menu.lst
>> > doesn't exist, and /boot/grub contains stuff I've never seen before.

>> *Testing uses grub2 by default.

>> *# update-grub<cr>

>> *creates a new grub.cfg file, which is the replacement for menu.lst,
>> *based on info in certain magical locations in /etc. If you have an
>> *incomplete list of installed kernels after a fresh install, just rerun
>> *update-grub, and that should fix it.

>> *YMMV, HTH, etc, etc

> Thanks. *I'm beginning to think reportbug is going to be the solution
> to this. *I've created a generic menu.lst, run update-grub numerous
> times, reinstalled grub2, replaced it with grub-legacy, ...

> The suggested "grub-config" doesn't exist (apt-file search doesn't
> find it), update-grub complains bitterly about the ptns:

> *[ 1326.943454 ] UFS-fs error (device hda1): ufs_check_page:
> * *bad entry in directory #2 ...

> I've added OBSD to /etc/grub.d/40_custom ... *No joy.

> On top of that, once logged in via gdm, my mouse goes invisible.

> Neither grub2 nor grub-legacy ever offer OBSD as a boot option. *I'd
> be happy to go forward w grub2 if I can get it to work.

What is your 40... entry?

Are you loading the ufs module(s)?