Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
John Jason Jordan

Default Using LightScribe on Debian?

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:54:36 -0800
Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> dijo:

>> If there was an inexpensive color laser printer that would do optical
>> media that would be great.

>The only way I know to get a color image on the back of a CD/DVD is to
>use an Inkjet printer that can feed the disk through the print
>mechanism.
>I know these are available and I expect it is what Paul was referring
>to, and what you mentioned a couple of posts ago regarding clogging
>jets.
>Unfortunately, there's no other way I know of to get a color print on
>the disk.

My desktop computer has two Lightscribe DVD drives. I paid extra for
them hoping that they would do what I want, but since they are
grayscale only, the Lighscribe feature remains virtually unused.
(Although I did get them working back when I was running Ubuntu - and
I'm sure they can be made to work under Debian as well.)

My motivation is different from what most people want. I want to make
distro CDs and OpenOffice.org CDs that look official.

I am a university student and quite often I encounter students who are
interested in FOSS, especially OOo. In the past I have given them a CD
with the software on it, only to discover that they never installed it.
Following up I discovered that the reason they never installed it is
from fear. Windows users are terrified of malware, and they know
nothing and trust even less. If I had a CD that looked like an official
install CD it would really help.

You have no idea how computer illiterate today's university students
are. Here is a recent exchange:

Grad student: I've heard about Linux and I want to try it.
Me: No problem. Here is a live CD of Ubuntu.
Grad student: Oh, I can do it now. I can't install any more
programs because my husband used up all
the memory. I have to wait until I can afford
to get a new computer with more memory.

I am not making this up. And I can add that professors are not a whole
lot more savvy.

I have discovered that getting them to Linux is too big a step for
most. But getting them to install OOo is much more doable. Once they
get comfortable with OOo I have a better chance of nudging them to
go all the way to Linux. But they're too scared to install OOo from a CD
scribbled on with a sharpie. And, curiously, the OOo organization does
not sell CDs with OOo on them. (Why?) I can get them commercially, but
the cost is too high. Hence my desire to make pretty CDs. In fact,
there are places at the university where I could make a cardboard stand
with CDs in it and a big poster explaining what it's all about.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Bob McGowan

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:54:36 -0800
> Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan@symantec.com> dijo:

> My desktop computer has two Lightscribe DVD drives. I paid extra for
> them hoping that they would do what I want, but since they are
> grayscale only, the Lighscribe feature remains virtually unused.
> (Although I did get them working back when I was running Ubuntu - and
> I'm sure they can be made to work under Debian as well.)
>
> My motivation is different from what most people want. I want to make
> distro CDs and OpenOffice.org CDs that look official.

<--Deleted-->

I understand the motivation and laud your efforts. And wish you luck in
the process

Just a thought, one I've entertained but not followed through on (yet,
for various reasons), would be getting a photo quality inkjet that can
also print on CD/DVD. This would only make sense if you use it to do
photos frequently enough to avoid the drying out/clogging issues.

The printable CD/DVD's I've seen have a totally white printing side,
which makes for much better image quality, in any case.

I can't help with any recommendations for inexpensive printers, though
;( as my interest is in high quality and large (poster) size photo
printing. Which makes the darn things quite expensive.

--
Bob McGowan