FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Aioanei Rares
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

chris kerr wrote:
First time I've tried to upgrade my distro. Following the directions
I edited /etc/apt/source.list and changed all "lenny" to "squeeze" and
all "stable" to "testing".


Example: deb http://debian.crosslink.net/debian/ squeeze main

Then I 'aptitude update' and get output:

Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release.gpg Cannot initiate
the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)
Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze/main Translation-en_US Cannot
initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid
argument)
Err http://debian.crosslink.net testing Release.gpg Cannot initiate
the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)

Ign http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release

None of my servers listed in source.list seem to work. So when I next
try to upgrade aptitude or dpkg, neither want to. Nor of course does
'aptitude full-upgrade'.


And yes, I'm doing all this as root.

Thanks for any help
My suggestion is to try another server known to work, like
http://ftp.debian.org , for example.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
chris kerr
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

Ok. My /etc/apt/source.list has only one entry:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
Then I did 'aptitude update' and here is the full output:

eeepc:/etc/apt# aptitude updateErr http://dl.google.com stable Release.gpg**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)
Err http://dl.google.com stable/main Translation-en_US**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)Ign http://dl.google.com stable Release
Ign http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages/DiffIndexIgn http://dl.google.com stable/main PackagesIgn http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages
Err http://dl.google.com stable/main Packages**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)Err http://ftp.debian.org squeeze Release.gpg
**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)Err http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main Translation-en_US**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)
Ign http://ftp.debian.org squeeze ReleaseIgn http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main PackagesIgn http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main Packages
Err http://ftp.debian.org squeeze/main Packages**Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)Hit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny Release.gpg
Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Translation-en_USIgn ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Translation-en_USHit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny Release
Get:2 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndexIgn ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndexGet:3 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Sources/DiffIndex
Ign ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Sources/DiffIndexHit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main PackagesHit ftp://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/main Sources
Reading package lists... DoneUpdating debtags database...... Done
eeepc:/etc/apt# aptitude install apt dpkg aptitudeReading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree * * **
Reading state information... DoneReading extended state information * * *Initializing package states... DoneReading task descriptions... Done *No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.Writing extended state information... DoneReading package lists... Done * * * * * **
Building dependency tree * * **Reading state information... DoneReading extended state information * * *Initializing package states... DoneReading task descriptions... Done

So, same as before.
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Aioanei Rares <debian.dev.list@gmail.com> wrote:

chris kerr wrote:


First time I've tried to upgrade my distro. *Following the directions I edited /etc/apt/source.list and changed all "lenny" to "squeeze" and all "stable" to "testing".

Example: deb http://debian.crosslink.net/debian/ squeeze main



Then I 'aptitude update' and get output:



Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release.gpg *Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)

Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze/main Translation-en_US *Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)

Err http://debian.crosslink.net testing Release.gpg *Cannot initiate the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)

Ign http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release



None of my servers listed in source.list seem to work. So when I next try to upgrade aptitude or dpkg, neither want to. Nor of course does 'aptitude full-upgrade'.



And yes, I'm doing all this as root.



Thanks for any help


My suggestion is to try another server known to work, like http://ftp.debian.org , for example.
 
Old 01-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Sascha Silbe
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:38:36AM -0800, chris kerr wrote:

Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release.gpg Cannot initiate
the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid
argument)
Sounds like your DNS resolver / resolving server is broken (0.0.31.182
is a reserved IP address, i.e. invalid). Check /etc/resolv.conf and the
output of "ping -n debian.crosslink.net".


BTW: debian.crosslink.net is a CNAME referencing another CNAME
(debian.crosslink.net. -> thay.crosslink.net. -> ftp.us.debian.org.)
which is discouraged by RFC1034 (section 3.6.2). If you're using some
embedded device ("broadband router") as resolving server it might be
choking on this construction.


CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/
 
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
chris kerr
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

I use OpenDNS so my /etc/resolv.conf looks like:
domain blackgold.orgsearch blackgold.orgnameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 208.67.222.222
I'm not sure what the 'domain' and 'search' parts are, but anyway, I can ping both*debian.crosslink.net and*ftp.us.debian.org and suffer no surfing troubles.

I changed sources.list back to use 'lenny' again and I'm getting errors with that now too. I've not messed with my system. The last time was using aptitude to "Update" security updates. *If I recall all of them where libraries.

What would be the next thing I could check?Thank in advance
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-debian-user@silbe.org> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 11:38:36AM -0800, chris kerr wrote:




Err http://debian.crosslink.net squeeze Release.gpg *Cannot initiate *the connection to 8118:80 (0.0.31.182). - connect (22 Invalid argument)


Sounds like your DNS resolver / resolving server is broken (0.0.31.182 is a reserved IP address, i.e. invalid). Check /etc/resolv.conf and the output of "ping -n debian.crosslink.net".




BTW: debian.crosslink.net is a CNAME referencing another CNAME (debian.crosslink.net. -> thay.crosslink.net. -> ftp.us.debian.org.) which is discouraged by RFC1034 (section 3.6.2). If you're using some embedded device ("broadband router") as resolving server it might be choking on this construction.




CU Sascha



--

http://sascha.silbe.org/

http://www.infra-silbe.de/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)



iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJLQ6DXAAoJELpz82VMF3Da+KcH/2kdiScd5X1b3XH+zFNQH/48

Edq1UPXlKjS+S5HMpHVCH8RnWgpkNqB/w4ZKuQzLstMFGrNQigk558DB6E5eArt9

9C8KnBNl22M/S/xttK/BDBjTtHiKSjdgg/+V5Ts4ahep1dMsXp87DecWOpCYF2w5

0FIYZf5sbRbyd+qM4kZYqVc0xHgcZTWL2oyajMOVw0NwvSc90i LRh9lcJNDIbB4q

YbDIeWzA17pk4NPLFM7KT/StGZTOHP6bkTysPs83lEb4TdM4RQ2a0ylUMOTJeuiB

uhdwNpTHK7haPDYD0pYlN6lYHIYlPvfCgyxATCfwp1hBiWJbqV MUW041V3X6icA=

=mssa

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Sascha Silbe
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:15:27AM -0800, chris kerr wrote:

I'm not sure what the 'domain' and 'search' parts are, but anyway, I
can
ping both debian.crosslink.net and ftp.us.debian.org and suffer no
surfing

troubles.
OK, it's starting to get strange. Do you have any proxy configured
(check $http_proxy and /etc/apt/apt.conf)?
If you have strace already installed, you can try "strace -f -e
trace=network apt-get update". Otherwise you can try downloading the
.deb via packages.debian.org [1] and installing it with "dpkg -i
strace*.deb".



[1] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=strace

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/
 
Old 01-07-2010, 03:06 AM
chris kerr
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

That was it.* Thanks Sascha (and Aioanei)!

http_proxy was set to use Privoxy.* I'm going to let them know their filtering is messing up aptitude updates.

Thanks again!
lch


On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Sascha Silbe <sascha-ml-debian-user@silbe.org> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:15:27AM -0800, chris kerr wrote:




I'm not sure what the 'domain' and 'search' parts are, but anyway, I can

ping both debian.crosslink.net and ftp.us.debian.org and suffer no surfing

troubles.


OK, it's starting to get strange. Do you have any proxy configured (check $http_proxy and /etc/apt/apt.conf)?

If you have strace already installed, you can try "strace -f -e trace=network apt-get update". Otherwise you can try downloading the .deb via packages.debian.org [1] and installing it with "dpkg -i strace*.deb".






[1] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=strace



CU Sascha



--

http://sascha.silbe.org/

http://www.infra-silbe.de/
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)



iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJLRNInAAoJELpz82VMF3DaaFYIAJRpYyIVff sdNxKNofvgpvU9

i7ixLBqvIe5dZzxYOnCG4mwEvD+wE26j7+chNy4t/0P/d7JfgeIquQFDLamssOuw

LpQVxzUfMqr2yNuHqfDx8Mh+NhvbPgTAs+WIdRKfLyXGa9MuCn m2iVowt+NAn19z

jk28oh/7+kZEBTBTc7U3qfpibSkVadXSlE6ZDoHLGh0DCcjvaE5vXXpM0 Mgzfif1

/w2wsF0588sWpai0iLsnSpNMM33bQQp6fsplVP+Hawlh6rtw8YN Atca9MFt5DGiw

zz0rP4PtrS7qezw059de7jvxkugbqV/6G8Y5ZKeVJcBRDXty/gFYBJHP0t3Bxco=

=tjx5

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Jimmy Johnson
 
Default Lenny -> Squeeze Not Upgrading

chris kerr wrote:
First time I've tried to upgrade my distro. Following the directions I
edited /etc/apt/source.list and changed all "lenny" to "squeeze" and all
"stable" to "testing".


None of my servers listed in source.list seem to work. So when I next
try to upgrade aptitude or dpkg, neither want to. Nor of course does
'aptitude full-upgrade'.


And yes, I'm doing all this as root.

Thanks for any help



If you are just playing, try another source, but if this is for
production use I think you where lucky it did not upgrade, both testing
and unstable are a mess it this time, I'm just barely able to keep my
testing and unstable systems going, stuff from unstable has bugs, so
they are not moved to testing yet and who only knows what new packages
need to be installed, for me it's fun, but it still makes me nervous as
a cat on a tin roof most every time I upgrade. ;-)



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org