Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Malte Forkel

Default semantics of dpkg-* configuration file backups

Hi,

When upgrading a package, the user can specify how a configuration file
should be handled that has been modified on the local systems.

Depending on the user's choice, a file with the extension dpkg-old,
dpkg-new or dpkg-dist might be created besides the configuration file.
Could someone please explain the semantics of these files? I.e., what
are the conditions for each of them to get created, what does each of
them contain?

Thanks in advance,
Malte

Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-01-05 17:48 +0100, Malte Forkel wrote:

> When upgrading a package, the user can specify how a configuration file
> should be handled that has been modified on the local systems.
>
> Depending on the user's choice, a file with the extension dpkg-old,
> dpkg-new or dpkg-dist might be created besides the configuration file.
> Could someone please explain the semantics of these files? I.e., what
> are the conditions for each of them to get created, what does each of
> them contain?

The .dpkg-new extension is used during unpacking, and you should not see
any such files after the packages have been configured.

If any conffiles (= configuration files contained in the package) have
been locally modified, and their content in the package has changed,
dpkg will prompt you whether you want to keep your modified version or
install the one from the package maintainer. If you choose the latter
option, your changed file is backed up with a .dpkg-old extension; if
you keep your version, the new packaged version is installed with a
.dpkg-dist extension.

Sven

Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Malte Forkel

Sven Joachim schrieb:
> On 2010-01-05 17:48 +0100, Malte Forkel wrote:
>
>> When upgrading a package, the user can specify how a configuration file
>> should be handled that has been modified on the local systems.
>>
>> Depending on the user's choice, a file with the extension dpkg-old,
>> dpkg-new or dpkg-dist might be created besides the configuration file.
>> Could someone please explain the semantics of these files? I.e., what
>> are the conditions for each of them to get created, what does each of
>> them contain?
>
> The .dpkg-new extension is used during unpacking, and you should not see
> any such files after the packages have been configured.
>
> If any conffiles (= configuration files contained in the package) have
> been locally modified, and their content in the package has changed,
> dpkg will prompt you whether you want to keep your modified version or
> install the one from the package maintainer. If you choose the latter
> option, your changed file is backed up with a .dpkg-old extension; if
> you keep your version, the new packaged version is installed with a
> .dpkg-dist extension.
>
> Sven

Thanks for your explanation.

After my upgrade to lenny, there are two files with the dpkg-new
extension left in /etc. On the other hand, the three dpkg-new files that
were there before the upgrade have disappeared. I'll try to find out why.

In the end, I would like to write a simple merge skript for
configuration files. This has been suggested before, e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=32877. Has anybody
already implemented this?

Malte

Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Dominique Dumont

On Tuesday 05 January 2010 22:22:14 Malte Forkel wrote:
> In the end, I would like to write a simple merge skript for
> configuration files. This has been suggested before, e.g.
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=32877. Has anybody
> already implemented this?

ucf is able to perform a 3-way merge between user and new configuration files.

On my side, I'm working on a way to improve configuration upgrades during
package upgrades using Config::Model project.

For details, see http://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade

All the best

Dominique
--