Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Roman Gelfand

Default Roman Gelfand has invited you to open a Google mail account

I've been using Gmail and thought you might like to try it out. Here's
an invitation to create an account.

Roman Gelfand has invited you to open a free Gmail account.

To accept this invitation and register for your account, visit
http://mail.google.com/mail/a-4a1704c30c-3c7aa98064-d371783bcd7b5749

Once you create your account, Roman Gelfand will be notified with
your new email address so you can stay in touch with Gmail!

If you haven't already heard about Gmail, it's a new search-based webmail
service that offers:

- Over 2,700 megabytes (two gigabytes) of free storage
- Built-in Google search that instantly finds any message you want
- Automatic arrangement of messages and related replies into
"conversations"
- Powerful spam protection using innovative Google technology
- No large, annoying ads--just small text ads and related pages that are
relevant to the content of your messages

To learn more about Gmail before registering, visit:
http://mail.google.com/mail/help/benefits.html

And, to see how easy it can be to switch to a new email service, check
out our new switch guide: http://mail.google.com/mail/help/switch/

We're still working every day to improve Gmail, so we might ask for your
comments and suggestions periodically. We hope you'll like Gmail. We
do. And, it's only going to get better.

Thanks,

The Gmail Team

(If clicking the URLs in this message does not work, copy and paste them
into the address bar of your browser).

Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Roman, did you do this, or did Google send a spam on your behalf without your
prior knowledge/consent?

--
Stan

Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/4/2010 10:47 PM:

Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Roman Gelfand

I never sent this. Outrageous. This is real garbage. Did this ever
happen to anyone before?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/5/2010 9:55 AM:
> I never sent this. Outrageous. This is real garbage. Did this ever
> happen to anyone before?

This is the first I've seen of it. I just copied the spam-l list. I'm pretty
shocked that Google would start spamming like this.

It may be a new full on campaign they've started, or they may just be testing
the waters to judge the level of outrage before starting a full on campaign of
this crap. Expect this to be Slash dotted by the end of the day, tomorrow at
the latest. This is total crap, and should be beneath a company of Google's
stature.

--
Stan

Old 01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Jeff Soules

> It may be a new full on campaign they've started, or they may just be testing
> the waters to judge the level of outrage before starting a full on campaign of
> this crap.

And it could also just be a bug in somebody's new UI code, or a
misclick somewhere. I'd wait at least a little bit before breaking
out the torches and pitchforks.

Roman, you might want to see if anybody else on your contacts list has
received a message like this. Or is it possible you might've clicked
the 'invite" button by mistake, maybe tabbed to the wrong button/link
or something?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20100105_105509, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Roman Gelfand put forth on 1/5/2010 9:55 AM:
> > I never sent this. Outrageous. This is real garbage. Did this ever
> > happen to anyone before?
>
> This is the first I've seen of it. I just copied the spam-l list. I'm pretty
> shocked that Google would start spamming like this.
>
> It may be a new full on campaign they've started, or they may just be testing
> the waters to judge the level of outrage before starting a full on campaign of
> this crap. Expect this to be Slash dotted by the end of the day, tomorrow at
> the latest. This is total crap, and should be beneath a company of Google's
> stature.
>
> --
> Stan

In fairness to Google, no one who is a party to this conversation knows that
Google sent the spam. Google does have commercial competitors, some of whom
might view this as an amusing trick to play on Google. And there are in this
world *many* trolls whose motives for trolling are beyond my understanding.

I incline toward the troll theory. The spam showed up in my inbox about the
same time as a legitimate post from Roman, which is the perfect time to troll
a fake spam, but too time correlated with Roman's post to have been run up
the approval ladder in a competitor.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

In fairness to Google, no one who is a party to this conversation knows that
Google sent the spam. Google does have commercial competitors, some of whom
might view this as an amusing trick to play on Google. And there are in this
world *many* trolls whose motives for trolling are beyond my understanding.

I incline toward the troll theory. The spam showed up in my inbox about the
same time as a legitimate post from Roman, which is the perfect time to troll
a fake spam, but too time correlated with Roman's post to have been run up
the approval ladder in a competitor.

That is possible, but the message seems to have come from a google server:

by liszt.debian.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7799113A5CED
for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Tue, 5 Jan 2010 04:47:59 +0000 (UTC)
for <debian-user@lists.debian.org>; Mon, 04 Jan 2010 20:47:57
-0800 (PST)

It also has DKIM and DomainKeys signatures, but I have not verified them.

--
We're all in this alone.
-- Lily Tomlin

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
John Hasler

Paul E Condon writes:
> In fairness to Google, no one who is a party to this conversation
> knows that Google sent the spam.

Perhaps, but the headers are pretty convincing. I suggest that Roman
take the matter up with Google.
--
John Hasler

Old 01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Arthur Machlas

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:56 AM, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:

Paul E Condon writes:
> In fairness to Google, no one who is a party to this conversation
> knows that Google sent the spam.

Perhaps, but the headers are pretty convincing. *I suggest that Roman

take the matter up with Google.
--
John Hasler

*
*

[...]

Guys, have you heard about this? It's called hotmail. You want to write a letter to your friends? Just click compose, write, send. Need to send a recipe to a friend? Look at this: It's got attachments. You just click upload, ok, send. Wham, bam, hotmail spam. It's so easy, your mother could do it. Speaking of your mother, have you written her lately? You don't want to write her, she's making you cry, she's making me cry. Watch this - out of office reply. No more letters from mom. It's that easy. And if you sign up now, and I'm talking in the next twenty minutes, because we can't do this all day you know, we'll not only give the inbox, email address and spam filter, we're also gonna give you the ability to search your mail and save drafts. So what'dya waiting for? Sign up now. www.hotmail.com

*
Arthur.

*

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Aioanei Rares

Arthur Machlas wrote:

Guys, have you heard about this? It's called hotmail. You want to
write a letter to your friends? Just click compose, write, send. Need
to send a recipe to a friend? Look at this: It's got attachments. You
just click upload, ok, send. Wham, bam, hotmail spam. It's so easy,
your mother could do it. Speaking of your mother, have you written her
lately? You don't want to write her, she's making you cry, she's
making me cry. Watch this - out of office reply. No more letters from
mom. It's that easy. And if you sign up now, and I'm talking in the
next twenty minutes, because we can't do this all day you know, we'll
not only give the inbox, email address and spam filter, we're also
gonna give you the ability to search your mail and save drafts. So
what'dya waiting for? Sign up now. www.hotmail.com
<http://www.hotmail.com/>

Arthur.

1. Your post is sent from gmail. More than obvious. If it's so hot, why
don't you use it?

2. Am I the only one thinking that this is blatant trolling?
3. It's not a thread about which mail service provider is better (see
2.), which is a matter of personal taste, it's a thread about whether
the mail from the OP was spam from Google or not.