Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/30435-whats-happening-3-1r7-install-iso.html)

Rick Thomas 01-06-2008 08:50 PM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
I hate to be a bore on this subject, but the Sarge 3.1r7 iso's still
aren't available, as far as I can tell. And no word from anyone as
to what the hold up is.


Can anybody enlighten me?

The 4.0r2 iso's are up now. Thanks!

Rick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Frans Pop 01-06-2008 09:06 PM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
(Setting reply-to to the d-user list only)

On Sunday 06 January 2008, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I hate to be a bore on this subject, but the Sarge 3.1r7 iso's still
> aren't available, as far as I can tell. And no word from anyone as
> to what the hold up is.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me?

For future reference: that question is more appropriate for the debian-cd
list than the debian-boot list.

Basically, CD images can only be built _after_ a release has happened.
The debian-cd team has concentrated first on the new Etch CDs.
Because of some hardware issues and people being less available or
unavailable due to Christmas/New Year, this took some time.

The work on the Sarge images has now started and images have been build, but
tests have shown an omission in the release process (new Installer images
are not available in oldstable yet). This needs to be corrected and then
images have to be rebuilt and tested again.
So, we'll probably need a couple more days.

Cheers,
FJP

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-06-2008 11:37 PM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:50:24PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I hate to be a bore on this subject, but the Sarge 3.1r7 iso's still
> aren't available, as far as I can tell. And no word from anyone as
> to what the hold up is.
>
> Can anybody enlighten me?
>
> The 4.0r2 iso's are up now. Thanks!
>

What's the big deal? If a box doesn't have internet, updates don't
matter so much. If a box does have internet, just update via apt and
ftp.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Rick Thomas 01-07-2008 02:16 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
The big deal is that the 3.1r6a iso's are broken. They don't offer
"oldstable" as an option for the distribution to install. So you
have to choose "stable" (or even "testing") and then break to a shell
to do manual surgery on the sources.list file if you want to install
Sarge. For pedagogic reasons, I want students to install Sarge, not
Etch, on their lab machines. This makes it difficult.



When 3.1r7 is available that manual step will go away, I hope!

Rick

On Jan 6, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:


On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:50:24PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

I hate to be a bore on this subject, but the Sarge 3.1r7 iso's still
aren't available, as far as I can tell. And no word from anyone as
to what the hold up is.

Can anybody enlighten me?

The 4.0r2 iso's are up now. Thanks!



What's the big deal? If a box doesn't have internet, updates don't
matter so much. If a box does have internet, just update via apt and
ftp.

Doug.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-07-2008 03:00 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:16:49PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> The big deal is that the 3.1r6a iso's are broken. They don't offer
> "oldstable" as an option for the distribution to install. So you
> have to choose "stable" (or even "testing") and then break to a shell
> to do manual surgery on the sources.list file if you want to install
> Sarge. For pedagogic reasons, I want students to install Sarge, not
> Etch, on their lab machines. This makes it difficult.
>

You mean that there are NO sarge CDs available? It sounds like any
version of Sarge would do you.

If I had one I'd find a way to get you an image but I could never get
Sarge to install on any of my boxes. I had to install Woody and upgrade
from there.

Surely somebody on the list has a Sarge netinst.iso that you could get.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

David 01-07-2008 03:15 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:16:49PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
The big deal is that the 3.1r6a iso's are broken. They don't offer
"oldstable" as an option for the distribution to install. So you
have to choose "stable" (or even "testing") and then break to a shell
to do manual surgery on the sources.list file if you want to install
Sarge. For pedagogic reasons, I want students to install Sarge, not
Etch, on their lab machines. This makes it difficult.




You mean that there are NO sarge CDs available? It sounds like any
version of Sarge would do you.

If I had one I'd find a way to get you an image but I could never get
Sarge to install on any of my boxes. I had to install Woody and upgrade
from there.


Surely somebody on the list has a Sarge netinst.iso that you could get.


I could help, given the time factor.

I have a 3.1r0a disc in the back of Martin Krafft's book - "The Debian
System Concepts and Techniques", No Starch Press. ISBN 1-59327-069-0,
but I'm stuck at work on an XP polluted laptop with no opportunities
presenting.
My new SID powered box will be finished in just a couple of days and
I'll be able to send you something then.
Failing that, depending on where you are, you might be in a position to
purchase the book yourself.


Whichever is quickest.
Regards,

--
David Palmer
Linux User - #352034


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

joseph lockhart 01-07-2008 03:32 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:16:49PM -0500, Rick
> Thomas wrote:
> > The big deal is that the 3.1r6a iso's are broken.
> They don't offer
> > "oldstable" as an option for the distribution to
> install. So you
> > have to choose "stable" (or even "testing") and
> then break to a shell
> > to do manual surgery on the sources.list file if
> you want to install
> > Sarge. For pedagogic reasons, I want students to
> install Sarge, not
> > Etch, on their lab machines. This makes it
> difficult.
> >
>
> You mean that there are NO sarge CDs available? It
> sounds like any
> version of Sarge would do you.
>
> If I had one I'd find a way to get you an image but
> I could never get
> Sarge to install on any of my boxes. I had to
> install Woody and upgrade
> from there.
>
> Surely somebody on the list has a Sarge netinst.iso
> that you could get.
>
> Doug.
>
what about using Damn Small Linux, a little
lightweight but installs as sarge (at least the last
one i checked did DSL 3.4.4)

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678
this user is penguin powered


__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Rick Thomas 01-07-2008 08:44 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
Thanks, folks, for all the offers of help!

Fortunately, Frans Pop has just informed me that the Sarge 3.1r7
iso's will be available in a couple of days, which is just in time
for the beginning of semester. Which solves the problem handily.


I'll keep all your suggestions in mind for the next time I do this
course.


Enjoy!


Rick


On Jan 6, 2008, at 11:32 PM, joseph lockhart wrote:

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

David Palmer wrote:


[Kind offers to help.]



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

"Douglas A. Tutty" 01-07-2008 12:49 PM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 04:44:00AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Thanks, folks, for all the offers of help!
>
> Fortunately, Frans Pop has just informed me that the Sarge 3.1r7
> iso's will be available in a couple of days, which is just in time
> for the beginning of semester. Which solves the problem handily.
>
> I'll keep all your suggestions in mind for the next time I do this
> course.
>

I'm curious: why do you teach Sarge in the course and not Etch?

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Chris Bannister 01-08-2008 03:32 AM

What's happening with the 3.1r7 install iso?
 
On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 08:32:34PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
> >
> what about using Damn Small Linux, a little
> lightweight but installs as sarge (at least the last
> one i checked did DSL 3.4.4)

Not as easily as one might think. There are many pitfalls along the way.
You get to find out why its called Damn Small Linux fairly quickly.

Getting bash_completion to work fully, i.e. with man pages etc, was fun
in fact DSL comes with no man pages.

A lot of stuff was in the /opt and /usr/local/* directories. The search
paths were different than for a normal Sarge install which made
transitioning difficult, i.e. you couldn't just change them round and
expect things to work. Thats where the 'which' command came in handy.

I wouldn't go that route again if I could help it. Luckily I had a
'proper' Sarge install to compare initscripts and configuration files
in /etc otherwise ... :-(

*Then*, there's the upgrade to Etch. :-)

And to top it all off, this is on a noisy Dell Latitude Laptop with crappy
bios. I only installed from DSL cause the Sarge disk would bomb out at
the package verification stage which I think was due to hardware and
bios interaction. Even DSL or cfdisk wouldn't 'see' the HD if using the
suggested 'install command' from the install prompt. cfdisk couldn't see
it from a shell. Buried in the documentation was a command (which I
can't remember) which, when given at the install prompt somehow,
miraculously, worked.

Anyway ...

Now happily running Etch + backports. Soon to ditch fluxbox and upgrade
to Fvwm.

--
Chris.
======


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:26 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.