Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Mark

Default Squeeze vs. Lenny update frequency?

I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it indicated 41 updates were available.* I'm used to Lenny's couple of updates per week average; does Squeeze update that much more?* I did some Googling but didn't find much out there as far as update frequencies.* Just curious so I know what to expect.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Tim Tebbit

Mark wrote:
> I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it
> indicated 41 updates were available. I'm used to Lenny's couple of
> updates per week average; does Squeeze update that much more? I did
> some Googling but didn't find much out there as far as update
> frequencies. Just curious so I know what to expect.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

That actually seem rather low for a week.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Vasco Costa

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 10:20 -0800, Mark wrote:
> I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it
> indicated 41 updates were available. I'm used to Lenny's couple of
> updates per week average; does Squeeze update that much more? I did
> some Googling but didn't find much out there as far as update
> frequencies. Just curious so I know what to expect.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Squeeze is Debian's testing distro, thus it gets lots of updates
although not as much as Sid the unstable one.

Lenny on the other hand is the stable distro, which ideally should not
get a single update. Unless of course when there's the need to address
security vulnerabilities.

So, basically the answer is yes, Squeeze will update a lot more than
Lenny.

--
Vasco Costa

Old 01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello,

Am 2010-01-04 13:38:55, schrieb Tim Tebbit:
> Mark wrote:
> > I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it
> > indicated 41 updates were available. I'm used to Lenny's couple of
> > updates per week average; does Squeeze update that much more? I did
> > some Googling but didn't find much out there as far as update
> > frequencies. Just curious so I know what to expect.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark
>
> That actually seem rather low for a week.

I get on Squeeze arround 6-20 updates per day
on my Workstation without using KDE/GNOME.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

<http://www.tamay-dogan.net/> Michelle Konzack
<http://www.can4linux.org/> Apt. 917
<http://www.flexray4linux.org/> 50, rue de Soultz
Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de 67100 Strabourg/France
IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com) Tel. DE: +49 177 9351947
ICQ #328449886 Tel. FR: +33 6 61925193

Old 01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello,

Am 2010-01-04 10:20:45, schrieb Mark:
> I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it indicated
> 41 updates were available. I'm used to Lenny's couple of updates per week
> average; does Squeeze update that much more? I did some Googling but didn't
> find much out there as far as update frequencies. Just curious so I know
> what to expect.

Yes, because it is "testing" and of course, it is awaiting the freeze
(do not know when) for the new release, hich mean, ANY developers and
maintainers pushing now packages into "Squeeze"...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Mark

>On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Mark wrote:

> > I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it

> > indicated 41 updates were available. *I'm used to Lenny's couple of

> > updates per week average; does Squeeze update that much more? *I did

> > some Googling but didn't find much out there as far as update

> > frequencies. *Just curious so I know what to expect.

> > Thanks,

> > Mark

>I get on Squeeze arround 6-20 updates per day

>on my Workstation without using KDE/GNOME.

Thank you for the replies such as this one.* Good to know; can't wait for the Squeeze Freeze!* The color-coding in pico text editor is a nice improvement.

Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

Stable release only have security updates.
Testing has much more updates.

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 10:20:45AM -0800, Mark wrote:
> I just installed Squeeze for the first time last week and today it indicated
> 41 updates were available. I'm used to Lenny's couple of updates per week
> average; does Squeeze update that much more? I did some Googling but didn't
> find much out there as far as update frequencies. Just curious so I know
> what to expect.

Squeeze is not released yet and I see quite a bit of rough edges...

You get lots of updates everytime few weeks after new package is
uploaded. Eventually, you will hit few bumps.

Until release is into some kind of softfreeze, they may be quite
unstable and you should expect some unstabilities although we try them
to be least ones.

Osamu

Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Mark

>On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
>Hi,

>Stable release only have security updates.

>Testing has much more updates.

Probably a dumb question, but...if a person uses Squeeze for pretty much nothing but web browsing with Iceweasel and whose system works just fine as of today, what risk would it be to not run Update Manager except say, once a month?* We're talking about very normal web browsing - gmail, facebook, etc.* Also playing games like Sudoku, Tetravex, etc.

Thanks!
Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Alan Ianson

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 15:05 -0800, Mark wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Stable release only have security updates.
> >Testing has much more updates.
>
> Probably a dumb question, but...if a person uses Squeeze for pretty
> much nothing but web browsing with Iceweasel and whose system works
> just fine as of today, what risk would it be to not run Update Manager
> except say, once a month? We're talking about very normal web
> browsing - gmail, facebook, etc. Also playing games like Sudoku,
> Tetravex, etc.

If the box is working the way it should I don't think it would be a
problem. Personally I like to keep my testing install up to date but if
you want to put it off for a time I don't think it would hurt anything,
keep an eye out for security updates though.

It would be a big update after a month though..

Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,07.Jan.10, 15:05:27, Mark wrote:

> Probably a dumb question, but...if a person uses Squeeze for pretty much
> nothing but web browsing with Iceweasel and whose system works just fine as
> of today, what risk would it be to not run Update Manager except say, once a
> month? We're talking about very normal web browsing - gmail, facebook,
> etc. Also playing games like Sudoku, Tetravex, etc.

IMHO it is difficult to make a universal recipe.

If you wait to long the update will involve a lot of packages and you
might get hit by several issues at once.

OTOH some issues are only temporary and if you don't update to often you
won't even notice they existed.

It also depends on the preferences of the person(s) using that system.
For example I wouldn't dream installing anything else but stable on my
mothers laptop (even if I had easy access to maintain it, which I
don't), because she doesn't like things to change too often, but I would
get bored if I would run anything else but sid on my own laptop

Regards,
Andrei