-   -   ttys1 displaying odd output (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/30406-ttys1-displaying-odd-output.html)

joseph lockhart 01-06-2008 07:23 PM

ttys1 displaying odd output

ok, checked my computer today and found strange output
on ttys1 which i only use for boot messages,

[A[Dj[2~[G[Cp;vy[Co[D+ut [Dc +[Ci[Dx+ryi[D+
ri[D+ri[D+rc[C6[D[1~i+ 6[D[1~9[2+i 6[1~[yejsw

[password:

no results on google, altavista, or any other search
engine that i could think of

hiram@hiram-desktop:~$ uptime
14:22:04 up 20 days, 7:52, 6 users, load average:
1.67, 1.82, 1.29

let me know of anything else that could be of use in
understanding the meaning of this output

thanks

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678
this user is penguin powered

"Chris Howie" 01-07-2008 02:35 AM

ttys1 displaying odd output

ok, checked my computer today and found strange output
on ttys1 which i only use for boot messages,

[A[Dj[2~[G[Cp;vy[Co[D+ut [Dc +[Ci[Dx+ryi[D+
ri[D+ri[D+rc[C6[D[1~i+ 6[D[1~9[2+i 6[1~[yejsw

[password:

no results on google, altavista, or any other search
engine that i could think of

hiram@hiram-desktop:~$ uptime
*14:22:04 up 20 days, *7:52, *6 users, *load average:
1.67, 1.82, 1.29

let me know of anything else that could be of use in

understanding the meaning of this output

Maybe the cat got loose while that VT was active?

Just kidding... kinda.

Anyway, those also look suspiciously like console escape sequences for
e.g. changing color, clearing the screen, and whatnot.* `man console_codes`.
--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crazycomputers

Scott Gifford 01-07-2008 04:43 PM

joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> writes:

> ok, checked my computer today and found strange output
> on ttys1 which i only use for boot messages,
>
> [A[Dj[2~[G[Cp;vy[Co[D+ut [Dc +[Ci[Dx+ryi[D+
> ri[D+ri[D+rc[C6[D[1~i+ 6[D[1~9[2+i 6[1~[yejsw
>
> [password:

It's possible some other process opened the TTY and wrote garbage to
it. You can use lsof to see if any running process still has the TTY
open:

lsof /dev/ttyS1

IIRC, ttyS1 is a serial port. If that's the case, this could also be
line noise on the serial cable.

Or, as Chris Howie mentioned, it could be somebody banging on the
keyboard. In my house at least, that would be the most likely
explanation. :-)

----Scott.

joseph lockhart 01-07-2008 05:18 PM

--- Scott Gifford <sgifford@suspectclass.com> wrote:

> joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com>
> writes:
>
> > ok, checked my computer today and found strange
> output
> > on ttys1 which i only use for boot messages,
> >
> > [A[Dj[2~[G[Cp;vy[Co[D+ut [Dc +[Ci[Dx+ryi[D+
> > ri[D+ri[D+rc[C6[D[1~i+ 6[D[1~9[2+i 6[1~[yejsw
> >
> > [password:
>
> It's possible some other process opened the TTY and
> wrote garbage to
> it. You can use lsof to see if any running process
> still has the TTY
> open:
>
> lsof /dev/ttyS1
>
> IIRC, ttyS1 is a serial port. If that's the case,
> this could also be
> line noise on the serial cable.
>
> Or, as Chris Howie mentioned, it could be somebody
> banging on the
> keyboard. In my house at least, that would be the
> most likely
> explanation. :-)

fair enough, however, i intentionally did NOT show the
kids how to get to the ttyS screens for that very
purpose

anyway i guess that will be it, unless it happens again

Ken Irving 01-07-2008 05:36 PM

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:43:05PM -0500, Scott Gifford wrote:
> joseph lockhart <jwl_andlovesaidno@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > ok, checked my computer today and found strange output
> > on ttys1 which i only use for boot messages,
> >
> > [A[Dj[2~[G[Cp;vy[Co[D+ut [Dc +[Ci[Dx+ryi[D+
> > ri[D+ri[D+rc[C6[D[1~i+ 6[D[1~9[2+i 6[1~[yejsw
> >
> > [password:
>
> It's possible some other process opened the TTY and wrote garbage to
> it. You can use lsof to see if any running process still has the TTY
> open:
>
> lsof /dev/ttyS1
>
> IIRC, ttyS1 is a serial port. If that's the case, this could also be
> line noise on the serial cable.
>
> Or, as Chris Howie mentioned, it could be somebody banging on the
> keyboard. In my house at least, that would be the most likely
> explanation. :-)

But the output does have the appearance of escape sequences, perhaps
intended for a printer or terminal. The password prompt would seem
to imply there's a getty running on the device (tty1?, ttyS1?), and it's
just responding to an apparent user login.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, fnkci+debianuser@uaf.edu