Old 01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
James Allsopp

Default Installing Debian over a Fedora 12 system

Hi,
I've a Fedora 12 system which I'm distinctly unimpressed by, and want to
install Debian. It's currently set up with two 1 tb drives. These both
have a 250 Mb boot partition and then the rest is a RAID 1, hosting LVM
for the other partitions. Am I going to have to back up all of my data
in home (separate partition) and start a new structure or is there a
simple way of installing debian and have it recognise the existing
structure? The partitions are all EXT4 except boot which is EXT3.

Thank you for any advice. I'll probably back up home to be on the safe
side anyway!

Jim

Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Sjoerd Hardeman

James Allsopp schreef:

Hi,
I've a Fedora 12 system which I'm distinctly unimpressed by, and want to
install Debian. It's currently set up with two 1 tb drives. These both
have a 250 Mb boot partition and then the rest is a RAID 1, hosting LVM
for the other partitions. Am I going to have to back up all of my data
in home (separate partition) and start a new structure or is there a
simple way of installing debian and have it recognise the existing
structure? The partitions are all EXT4 except boot which is EXT3.
You can just reuse your current partitioning scheme, and only reformat
/usr, /tmp, /var, /etc and /boot. /home will not be touched. You can
even tell the installer about which partition is your /home, so it can
set up /etc/fstab for you.
If you have /etc,/usr,/var or /tmp not on a separate partition, you can
use a live disk to mount the root partition and just remove them
beforehand. That way you can avoid that any file from fedora will be
present after your new install.

Thank you for any advice. I'll probably back up home to be on the safe
side anyway!

That of course always a good idea

Sjoerd

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:31:02PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a Fedora 12 system which I'm distinctly unimpressed by, and want to
> install Debian. It's currently set up with two 1 tb drives. These both
> have a 250 Mb boot partition and then the rest is a RAID 1, hosting LVM
> for the other partitions. Am I going to have to back up all of my data
> in home (separate partition) and start a new structure or is there a
> simple way of installing debian and have it recognise the existing
> structure? The partitions are all EXT4 except boot which is EXT3.
>
> Thank you for any advice. I'll probably back up home to be on the safe
> side anyway!

My thoughts are:

1. keep fedra
2. Experiment with Debian in qemu+kvm.
3. Backup super critical data to CD/DVD from /home.
4. Make live CD of any recent Linux distro which has gpartd included.
5. Play with gpartd after booting from live CD.
6. Install Debian into newly created empty space.
7. Move date from old system by mounting them into Debian.

Cheers, Osamu