Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
RogerV

Default Case Preservation

I've copied the contents of the ./htdocs directory from Apache Web Server
running on Windows XP to a FAT32 formatted USB stick, and then copied from
the USB Stick to the htdocs directory of an Apache Web Server running under
Debian Lenny. The copy process has changed the case of some of the document
names, which means that the Debian web server can't find the links. It seems
to happen, primarily where the document name is in the format A999999.html -
it's a leading capital in Windows and has been restored as a lowercase alpha
character. When I view the contents of the USB stick in Windows I see the
upper case leading character, but when I view the stick with Nautilus - I
see the lower case leading character. Any suggestions?

Regards

Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 03:19:23 -0800, RogerV wrote:

> I've copied the contents of the ./htdocs directory from Apache Web
> Server running on Windows XP to a FAT32 formatted USB stick, and then
> copied from the USB Stick to the htdocs directory of an Apache Web
> Server running under Debian Lenny. The copy process has changed the case
> of some of the document names, which means that the Debian web server
> can't find the links. It seems to happen, primarily where the document
> name is in the format A999999.html - it's a leading capital in Windows
> and has been restored as a lowercase alpha character. When I view the
> contents of the USB stick in Windows I see the upper case leading
> character, but when I view the stick with Nautilus - I see the lower
> case leading character. Any suggestions?

Yes.

If using GNOME, open "gconf" editor and navigate to:

/system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options

Instead "shortname=lower" change that value to something that fits your
needs, such "shortname=mixed" or "shortname=winnt". That will preserve
the "case" in filenames.

"man mount" should list all the available values.

Greetings
--
Camaleón

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Mark Neidorff

Seems to me like a shell script using the tr command will do what you want.

Here is a web site with (not the exact, but close) code that you need to solve
your problem.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-use-linux-unix-tr-command/

Mark

Old 01-05-2010, 10:38 AM
RogerV

Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 03:19:23 -0800, RogerV wrote:
>
>> I've copied the contents of the ./htdocs directory from Apache Web
>> Server running on Windows XP to a FAT32 formatted USB stick, and then
>> copied from the USB Stick to the htdocs directory of an Apache Web
>> Server running under Debian Lenny. The copy process has changed the case
>> of some of the document names, which means that the Debian web server
>> can't find the links. It seems to happen, primarily where the document
>> name is in the format A999999.html - it's a leading capital in Windows
>> and has been restored as a lowercase alpha character. When I view the
>> contents of the USB stick in Windows I see the upper case leading
>> character, but when I view the stick with Nautilus - I see the lower
>> case leading character. Any suggestions?
>
> Yes.
>
> If using GNOME, open "gconf" editor and navigate to:
>
> /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options
>
> Instead "shortname=lower" change that value to something that fits your
> needs, such "shortname=mixed" or "shortname=winnt". That will preserve
> the "case" in filenames.
>
> "man mount" should list all the available values.

Thanks for that, it worked a treat. Now I'm off to read up about what else
there is lurking in gconf

Regards