-   -   Gnome apps in KDE (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/303732-gnome-apps-kde.html)

Alan Ianson 01-03-2010 07:07 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 18:55 +0330, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me why Gnome applications look so ugly in KDE and if
> something can be done about it to make them look as in their native
> Gnome environment?! ;)

I don't use kde anymore so I'm going from memory.. As someone else said
you need gtk-qt-engine. Once that is installed there is a setting in
kde's setup where you can set gnome apps to use the style qt-curve (you
need to install that too), then they look very much like they do in
gnome. There are other styles too but I never tried them.

Nima Azarbayjany 01-06-2010 07:27 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

Thanks all.

Now I have install gtk-qt-engine and the qtcurve package. I cannot find
any thing in KDE Control Center which might allow me to do the
configuration. I ran the module which is supposed to appear in KDE
Control Center manually but I was presented with only a blank window
with help, ok, cancel, etc. buttons.

Can you tell me what I should do now?

Thanks.

Nima

Aioanei Rares 01-06-2010 08:02 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

Nima Azarbayjany wrote:

Thanks all.

Now I have install gtk-qt-engine and the qtcurve package. I cannot
find any thing in KDE Control Center which might allow me to do the
configuration. I ran the module which is supposed to appear in KDE
Control Center manually but I was presented with only a blank window
with help, ok, cancel, etc. buttons.

Can you tell me what I should do now?

Thanks.

Nima

Logically, you have to install the gnome-themes package, in order to
have a gnome themes list to choose from.

Nima Azarbayjany 01-06-2010 08:28 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

I checked for gnome-themes. It was surely already installed but even
reinstalling it did not help.

Aioanei Rares 01-07-2010 02:51 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

Nima Azarbayjany wrote:
I checked for gnome-themes. It was surely already installed but even
reinstalling it did not help.

Is gnome-settings-daemon started?

Karl Klinger 01-07-2010 04:19 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

> Now I have install gtk-qt-engine and the qtcurve package. I cannot
> find any thing in KDE Control Center which might allow me to do the
> configuration. I ran the module which is supposed to appear in KDE
> Control Center manually but I was presented with only a blank window
> with help, ok, cancel, etc. buttons.
>
> Can you tell me what I should do now?

Have you installed system-config-gtk-kde?

Karl

Nima Azarbayjany 01-07-2010 04:41 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

Thanks Camaleon, Aioanei, Chris, and Alan////. Adding
'gnome-settings-daemon' to the autostart directory did the job! I
removed the 'gtk-qt-engine' and 'qtcurve' packages I had installed. So
just having 'gnome-settings-daemon' fired up at startup seems enough.

Nima

Nima Azarbayjany 01-07-2010 04:42 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

Thanks Karl. The problem was solved by just having
'gnome-settings-daemon' run at startup.

Chris Jones 01-07-2010 06:08 PM

Gnome apps in KDE

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:41:00PM EST, Nima Azarbayjany wrote:

> Thanks Camaleon, Aioanei, Chris, and Alan////. Adding
> 'gnome-settings-daemon' to the autostart directory did the job!

Didn't want to sound presumptuous, but that is basically what my initial
post suggested as a course of action. ;-)

CJ