Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Tim Frink

Default Video conversion

I would like to convert an old video file using the
Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
by nowadays video players. What software could I use
for the conversion under Debian Lenny?

Regards,
Tim

Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:32:10 +0000, Tim Frink wrote:

> I would like to convert an old video file using the Intel indeo codec
> into a video format that is supported by nowadays video players. What
> software could I use for the conversion under Debian Lenny?

What Indeo codec version?

FFmpeg and/or MPlayer/Mencoder should do the trick.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Schmidt Benjamin

Tim Frink wrote:

I would like to convert an old video file using the
Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
by nowadays video players. What software could I use
for the conversion under Debian Lenny?

Regards,
Tim

If you can watch the video with the VLC player, you can simply convert
it with the gui wizard. Todo so, search google for "vlc convert".

Best regards,
Benjamin Schmidt

Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 09:32, Tim Frink <plfriko@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I would like to convert an old video file using the
> Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
> by nowadays video players. What software could I use
> for the conversion under Debian Lenny?

Indeo, eh? Convert it quick while you still can. Over
in 64-bit land, I can't even watch Indeo (No one has
a 64-bit Linux Indeo codec).

Cheer,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 05:32:10PM +0000, Tim Frink wrote:
> I would like to convert an old video file using the
> Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
> by nowadays video players. What software could I use
> for the conversion under Debian Lenny?

There's a handy GUI called soundconverter. I think it relies on
gstreamer for its codecs, so you'll want to make sure you have the
appropriate ones installed. I'm not sure if it handles indeo or not,
but here's what I suggest you install to try it out:

soundconverter
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

-Rob

Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 PM
jeremy jozwik

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> There's a handy GUI called soundconverter. I think it relies on
> gstreamer for its codecs, so you'll want to make sure you have the
> appropriate ones installed. I'm not sure if it handles indeo or not,
> but here's what I suggest you install to try it out:
>
> soundconverter
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

that will work for video?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
"Tim Clewlow"

> On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 05:32:10PM +0000, Tim Frink wrote:
>> I would like to convert an old video file using the
>> Intel indeo codec into a video format that is supported
>> by nowadays video players. What software could I use
>> for the conversion under Debian Lenny?
>>
> There's a handy GUI called soundconverter. I think it relies on
> gstreamer for its codecs, so you'll want to make sure you have the
> appropriate ones installed. I'm not sure if it handles indeo or
> not,
> but here's what I suggest you install to try it out:
>
> soundconverter
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
>
> -Rob

You could also use mencoder, a video converter usually associated
with mplayer. There are instructions here:
http://exxamine.wordpress.com/2007/08/06/mencoder-examples-and-converting-from-intel-indeo-5/

Once you have mencoder installed, run something like:

# mencoder the_indeo_file -o output_file.avi -ovc lavc -oac pcm

If you want to use mp3 format for sound, you will get a smaller
output file size with:

# mencoder the_indeo_file -o output_file.avi -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame

But if you dont have mp3 codecs installed then mencoder will
complain it cant find them. The first command will work no matter
what, but the output file will be a bit bigger because it uses pcm
as the audio format on the output file.

hth, Tim

Old 01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 04:41:27PM -0800, jeremy jozwik wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> > There's a handy GUI called soundconverter. I think it relies on
> > gstreamer for its codecs, so you'll want to make sure you have the
> > appropriate ones installed. I'm not sure if it handles indeo or not,
> > but here's what I suggest you install to try it out:
> >
> > soundconverter
> > gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
> > gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
> > gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
> > gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
>
> that will work for video?

Ugh, that was a brainfart. No, I don't think it works for video. I
think I was thinking about gtranscode, which I used in the past but I
don't see it in the Debian repositories. It looks to be unmaintained,
so it's probably not a great option anyway.

Sorry about the noise.

-Rob

Old 02-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Ali Hassan

Hi All,

I need a tool to convert videos I download from youtube, like flv clips, to be playable on my mobile phone.
My mobile is Samsung Player One. I have a very nice utility that does that in windows, But I am most of the time using Ubuntu 10.04.
Please do not tell me "youtube-dl" it does not work.
I have been searching the web for a month now, and all tools they suggest, they install good, but at conversion time they give you an error message.

Thanks,
ali

Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM, Ali Hassan <alihuco@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need a tool to convert videos I download from youtube, like flv clips, to be playable on my mobile phone.
> My mobile is Samsung Player One. I have a very nice utility that does that in windows, But I am most of the time using Ubuntu 10.04.
> Please do not tell me "youtube-dl" it does not work.

I download youtube videos all the time and I have no trouble with
youtube-dl.sh, but you have to have the latest version because they
move the servers around from time to time.

What format are you looking to convert into? Mencoder and ffmpeg are
good for that sort of thing.