Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
josť Santos

Default Using Exim4 to send Messages through GMail

As the subject says, I'm using gmail to deliver my email, I setup exim as per
the Debian wiki:http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4. My problem is that now
exim wont deliver local mail, like when updating packages some will have some
info for root that doesn't get deliver. I'm using Debian testing.
Appreciate any help.

Best regards.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Wu-Kung Sun

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM, josť Santos <jsantos@ubi.pt> wrote:
> As the subject says, I'm using gmail to deliver my email, I setup exim as per
> the Debian wiki:http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4. My problem is that now
> exim wont deliver local mail, like when updating packages some will have some
> info for root that doesn't get deliver. I'm using Debian testing.
> Appreciate any help.
>
> Best regards.

It doesn't get delivered locally and remotely? What does
/var/log/exim4/mainlog say about your mail?

--
swk

Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 AM
josť Santos

> It doesn't get delivered locally and remotely? What does
> /var/log/exim4/mainlog say about your mail?
>
> --
> swk

The log shows that Exim does try passed em onto to gmail, but in turn, gmail is
unable to deliver them, witch is understandable, they are ment to be delivered
to root@localhost.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:41:42AM +0000, josť Santos wrote:
> > It doesn't get delivered locally and remotely? What does
> > /var/log/exim4/mainlog say about your mail?
> >
> > --
> > swk
> >

> > --
> >

> The log shows that Exim does try passed em onto to gmail, but in turn, gmail is
> unable to deliver them, witch is understandable, they are ment to be delivered
> to root@localhost.

I use exim here with gmail. See my config tricks at:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html#_the_configuration_of_exim4

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 03:41:42 +0000, josť Santos wrote:
> > It doesn't get delivered locally and remotely? What does
> > /var/log/exim4/mainlog say about your mail?
>
> The log shows that Exim does try passed em onto to gmail, but in turn, gmail is
> unable to deliver them, witch is understandable, they are ment to be delivered
> to root@localhost.

The first thing to check is if your hostname is included in the local
delivery list of exim4; see the ouput of

grep dc_other_hostnames /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

dc_other_hostnames should be a comma-separated list of all possible
hostnames for local mail, e.g.

dc_other_hostnames='localhost,debianbox'

if your hostname in /etc/hostname is "debianbox". You might have to add
more hostnames to this list; check your exim4 log for the exact
addresses of the failed local mail deliveries.

The easiest way to change the exim4 setting is to run

dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

The relevant configuration option is "other destinations for which mail
is accepted".

--
Regards, |
Florian |

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
josť Santos

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:41:46AM +0000, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> The first thing to check is if your hostname is included in the local
> delivery list of exim4; see the ouput of
>
> grep dc_other_hostnames /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
>
> dc_other_hostnames should be a comma-separated list of all possible
> hostnames for local mail, e.g.
>
> dc_other_hostnames='localhost,debianbox'
>
> if your hostname in /etc/hostname is "debianbox". You might have to add
> more hostnames to this list; check your exim4 log for the exact
> addresses of the failed local mail deliveries.
>
> The easiest way to change the exim4 setting is to run
>
> dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
>
> The relevant configuration option is "other destinations for which mail
> is accepted".

I guess the problem was indeed the "dc_other_hostnames=" parameter, still, further
testing is needed.

Best regards.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM
josť Santos

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 09:14:49AM +0000, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> I use exim here with gmail. See my config tricks at:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch06.en.html#_the_configuration_of_exim4

Thanks, more info is always useful and the debian-reference is a very good
place to search for it.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Wu-Kung Sun

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM, josť Santos <jsantos@ubi.pt> wrote:

> I guess the problem was indeed the "dc_other_hostnames=" parameter, still, further
> testing is needed.

Try leaving it blank when you do a dpkg-reconfigure.

--
swk

Old 01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
josť Santos

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 06:11:23PM +0000, Wu-Kung Sun wrote:

> Try leaving it blank when you do a dpkg-reconfigure.

That's how it was set before, I had left it blank, since then I added
"localhost; machinename" to it. Now when emailing my self (me@localhost)
the email gets append to /var/mail/me and is not passed to gmail any more,
which I think is the desired behavior. I'm hoping that when the system has
any messages to pass to root like rotating logs and other stuff, they will
be sent to directly to my inbox on /var/mail/me. It would be nice if the
howto in the Debian wiki could be more specific on this kind of details.
Thanks once more for your help.

Best regards.