Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM
"Mumia W.."

Default aptitude forces full-upgrade

I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude
because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do
a full-upgrade).

I specifically entered the command "aptitude safe-upgrade"; however, it
wanted to install a lot of extra packages--many more than "apt-get
upgrade"; I also noticed that "aptitude full-upgrade" and "aptitude
safe-upgrade" have the same result--aptitude wants to install many more
packages.

My /etc/apt/preferences is non-existent, and here is my
/etc/apt/sources.list:

#### Squeeze
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

#### Lenny
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian lenny main contrib non-free

#### Sid
# deb-src ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian sid main contrib non-free

Old 01-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Javier Barroso

Hi,
On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Mumia W..
<paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude
> because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do a
> full-upgrade).
>
> I specifically entered the command "aptitude safe-upgrade"; however, it
> wanted to install a lot of extra packages--many more than "apt-get upgrade";
> I also noticed that "aptitude full-upgrade" and "aptitude safe-upgrade" have
> the same result--aptitude wants to install many more packages.
I'm not sure, but maybe aptitude wants to install recommends. If you
run "aptitude -s -R safe-upgrade", it want to install all new stuff ?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 AM
Jochen Schulz

Mumia W..:

> I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude
> because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do
> a full-upgrade).

The difference between "safe-upgrade" and "full-upgrade" is that the
latter may *remove* packages in order to upgrade other packages. Both
operations might install new packages in order to satisfy the new
dependencies of already installed packages. If you don't want that to
happen, you can pass the switch "--no-new-installs".

Most probably your problem has something to do how Recommende/Suggests
are handled by apt-get/aptitude.

J.
--
I lust after strangers but only date people from the office.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
"Mumia W.."

Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:

On 01/02/2010 04:49 PM, Mumia W.. wrote:
I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude
because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do
a full-upgrade).

[...]

I'm not sure, but maybe aptitude wants to install recommends. If you
run "aptitude -s -R safe-upgrade", it want to install all new stuff ?

Thanks. I have recommends disabled:

Saratoga:apt.conf.d$
Saratoga:apt.conf.d$ cat * | grep Recommends

Aptitude::Recommends-Important "false";
Saratoga:apt.conf.d$
Saratoga:apt.conf.d$ apt-config dump | egrep '(Recommends|Suggests)'

APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";
Saratoga:apt.conf.d$
Saratoga:apt.conf.d$

Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
"Mumia W.."

Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de>

On 01/02/2010 04:49 PM, Mumia W.. wrote:
I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude
because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do
a full-upgrade).

[...]

The difference between "safe-upgrade" and "full-upgrade" is that the
latter may *remove* packages in order to upgrade other packages. Both
operations might install new packages in order to satisfy the new
dependencies of already installed packages. If you don't want that to
happen, you can pass the switch "--no-new-installs".

Most probably your problem has something to do how Recommende/Suggests
are handled by apt-get/aptitude.

Maybe, but why didn't "apt-get upgrade" do the same thing? On Etch,
"aptitude upgrade" and "apt-get upgrade" always did the same thing. Has
something important changed about default (upgrade-only) dependency
handling?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 07:00:25AM -0600, Mumia W.. wrote:
> Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/02/2010 04:49 PM, Mumia W.. wrote:
>>> I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than
>>> aptitude because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new
>>> programs (do a full-upgrade).
>>> [...]
>> I'm not sure, but maybe aptitude wants to install recommends. If you
>> run "aptitude -s -R safe-upgrade", it want to install all new stuff ?
>
> Thanks. I have recommends disabled:

FYI:
Unless you are on netbook or very resource limitted PC, I think disabling
"recommends" is not very good idea. I might do that for my ARM based
mobile internet device but I will not do that for my core2 Intel system,
with >>100GB HDD.

(Of course, if you are running server and know exactly how to set it up,
disabling recommends are an option.)

Basically, you have more than enough space and shrinking installed
syatem has little benefits.

Osamu

Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Daniel Burrows

It would be easier to answer the question if you provided specific
examples of packages that apt-get didn't install and aptitude did. A
full copy/paste of the upgrade preview from both programs would be
particularly helpful.

Daniel