Old 01-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Daniel Bareiro

Default Interpretation of the dmidecode information

Hi, all!

I have the following doubt on the basis of the maximum amount of
supported ram memory. dmidecode shows the following thing:

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
Base Board Information
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name: M2N32-SLI DELUXE
Version: 1.XX
Serial Number: 123456789000
[...]
Handle 0x0006, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
Memory Controller Information
Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
Error Correcting Capabilities:
None
Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB <------------
Maximum Total Memory Size: 16384 MB <------------
Supported Speeds:
70 ns
60 ns
50 ns
Supported Memory Types:
Standard
SDRAM
Memory Module Voltage: 2.9 V
Associated Memory Slots: 4
0x0007
0x0008
0x0009
0x000A
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None

Then I understand that the maximum would be of 16 GB with DIMMs of up to
4 GB by bank. But in the ASUS site it says that the maximum is of 8 GB
and in the manual also it says 8 GB. Can the information of dmidecode be
incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9 29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37
Powered by Debian GNU/Linux Lenny - Linux user #188.598

Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 14:56:43 -0300, Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> I have the following doubt on the basis of the maximum amount of
> supported ram memory. dmidecode shows the following thing:

> Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes
> Base Board Information
> Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
> Product Name: M2N32-SLI DELUXE
> Version: 1.XX
> Serial Number: 123456789000
> [...]
> Handle 0x0006, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
> Memory Controller Information
> Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
> Error Correcting Capabilities:
> None
> Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave Current Interleave:
> One-way Interleave Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
> <------------ Maximum Total Memory Size: 16384 MB
> <------------ Supported Speeds:
> 70 ns
> 60 ns
> 50 ns
> Supported Memory Types:
> Standard
> SDRAM
> Memory Module Voltage: 2.9 V
> Associated Memory Slots: 4
> 0x0007
> 0x0008
> 0x0009
> 0x000A
> Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None
>
> Then I understand that the maximum would be of 16 GB with DIMMs of up to
> 4 GB by bank. But in the ASUS site it says that the maximum is of 8 GB
> and in the manual also it says 8 GB. Can the information of dmidecode be
> incorrect?

Yes, it can be wrong.

BTW, I get *right* values in one computer (board supports up to 8GB.):

***
stt008:~# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.5 present.

Handle 0x0012, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Location: System Board Or Motherboard
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 8 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 4
***

And *wrong* values in another one (board supports up to 8GB.):

***
stt005:~# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.3 present.

Handle 0x0005, DMI type 5, 24 bytes
Memory Controller Information
Error Detecting Method: 8-bit Parity
Error Correcting Capabilities:
None
Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Maximum Memory Module Size: 1024 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 4096 MB
Supported Speeds:
Other
Supported Memory Types:
Other
Memory Module Voltage: 5.0 V
Associated Memory Slots: 4
0x0006
0x0007
0x0008
0x0009
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
None

***

So do not care so much about it :-).

Maybe older SMBIOS versions just display wrong or incorrect data. Just
trust the manufacturer's specs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Camaleón put forth on 1/2/2010 12:44 PM:

> Maybe older SMBIOS versions just display wrong or incorrect data. Just
> trust the manufacturer's specs.

I wouldn't make that general statement about SMBIOS age playing a role in
incorrect data. More than likely this is a vendor/mainboard BIOS specific
problem. As best I can tell, all the dmidecode data reported for this 11 year
old Abit BP6 mainboard is correct; matches the user manual data 1:1. **Note the
BIOS date**

# dmidecode 2.9
SMBIOS 2.2 present.
31 structures occupying 857 bytes.
Table at 0x000F0800.

BIOS Information
Vendor: Award Software International, Inc.
Version: 4.51 PG
Release Date: 11/03/99
Address: 0xE0000
Runtime Size: 128 kB
ROM Size: 256 kB
Base Board Information
Product Name: i440BX-W83977
Memory Controller Information
Error Detecting Method: 8-bit Parity
Error Correcting Capabilities:
Single-bit Error Correcting
Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Maximum Memory Module Size: 256 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 768 MB
Supported Speeds:
70 ns
60 ns
Supported Memory Types:
DIMM
SDRAM
Memory Module Voltage: 3.3 V
Associated Memory Slots: 3
0x0007
0x0008
0x0009
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None

Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:22:03 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 1/2/2010 12:44 PM:
>
>> Maybe older SMBIOS versions just display wrong or incorrect data. Just
>> trust the manufacturer's specs.
>
> I wouldn't make that general statement about SMBIOS age playing a role
> in incorrect data. More than likely this is a vendor/mainboard BIOS
> specific problem. As best I can tell, all the dmidecode data reported
> for this 11 year old Abit BP6 mainboard is correct; matches the user
> manual data 1:1. **Note the BIOS date**

Older boards/BIOSes may have less problems to correctly show their
capabilities. Dunno.

In my case, the wrong data was presented by Supermicro board (PDSGE) and
the right data was also coming from another Supermicro board (C2SBX), so
same vendor... and not a bad one ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón