Old 01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Bernard

Default serious problems with mutt

Hi

I have made a very light use of mutt for several years, for special
purposes only. So I can't say that I am very familiar with it. On my old
systems (RedHat 7.2) it was based on sendmail for sending mail. Then, on
Debian Sarge, it used 'esmtp'. I spent some time to find the right
config, fetching pipes here and there. Now, on my laptop running Ubuntu
8.04 (Hardy Heron), my mutt is still using esmtp. And it seems to
operate all right.

But, with my 3 months old Lenny system on my desktop, I can't get mutt
to work ! Here, I have to use 'exim4', and I have spent many hours
turning around dpkg-reconfiguring exim4-config so many times. I surely
carried close to 100 different tests, since there are so many options to
choose from. What confuses me most is that it does occasionnally seem to
work once or twice, and then I can't reproduce the success.

The problem lies in sending mail, no problem receiving.

I understand that you can choose between one single config file and a
set of various files. In the dpkg-reconfigure process, I have chosen one
only conf file. I suppose that this is the one :

/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

This is a very short file, and it contains the informations that I have
specified during dpkg-reconfiguring. The uncommented lines are as follows :

dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames='orange.fr ; free.fr ; teaser.fr'
dc_local_interfaces='
dc_readhost='free.fr'
dc_relay_domains='
dc_minimaldns='true'
dc_relay_nets=
dc_smarthost='smtp.free.fr'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='false'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

At one time (yesterday some time), I have been able to send mail to
remote addresses using "smtp.teaser.fr::587". It no longer works, but I
changed parameters so many times that I can't remember exactly in what
config scheme it did work (what a shame !). When that did work, I next
tried sending through smtp.free.fr (with no channel number, since it
uses default = 25). Nothing worked with 'smtp.free.fr'.
/var/log/exim4/mainlog says : "unrouteable address". Next, I realized
that smtp.free.fr requires a login and pswd. So does smtp.teaser.fr,
which however has worked without login and pswd, which possible reason
may be that pswd had already been sent during previous use with
Thunderbird. So, I tried to enter login and pswd for smtp.free.fr :

in /etc/exim4, I found a file that is named 'passwd.client'. I edited it
and introduced login and pswd, but this did not seem to change anything
; I wonder if that file is even taken into account. In any case, where
should I find debug info about login and pswd ?

If anyone wishes to see the results of my two latter tests, this is
available in a rtf file from

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/exim_test_results.rtf

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Ansgar Burchardt

Hi,

Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> writes:

> Now, on my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), my mutt is still
> using esmtp. And it seems to operate all right.
>
> But, with my 3 months old Lenny system on my desktop, I can't get mutt
> to work ! Here, I have to use 'exim4', and I have spent many hours
> turning around dpkg-reconfiguring exim4-config so many times.

Why should you have to use exim? Just install esmtp instead and you
should be fine.

Regards,
Ansgar

Old 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
RobertHoltzman

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 04:32:28PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have made a very light use of mutt for several years, for special
> purposes only. So I can't say that I am very familiar with it. On my old
> systems (RedHat 7.2) it was based on sendmail for sending mail. Then, on
> Debian Sarge, it used 'esmtp'. I spent some time to find the right
> config, fetching pipes here and there. Now, on my laptop running Ubuntu
> 8.04 (Hardy Heron), my mutt is still using esmtp. And it seems to
> operate all right.

............snip............

If you want to stay with exim4 you might try
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-exim4-users

--
Bob Holtzman
GPG key ID = 8D549279

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:32:28 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> But, with my 3 months old Lenny system on my desktop, I can't get mutt
> to work ! Here, I have to use 'exim4', and I have spent many hours
> turning around dpkg-reconfiguring exim4-config so many times. I surely
> carried close to 100 different tests, since there are so many options to
> choose from. What confuses me most is that it does occasionnally seem to
> work once or twice, and then I can't reproduce the success.
>
> The problem lies in sending mail, no problem receiving.

No need to use external "esmtp" or "Exim" mail server with Mutt. It comes
compiled with "+USE_SMTP" flag on so if you are using just one e-mail
account, you can configure Mutt itself to send the e-mails directly to
your ISP host.

That is the way I use it with my Gmail account.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Bernard

Camaleón wrote:

But, with my 3 months old Lenny system on my desktop, I can't get mutt
to work ! Here, I have to use 'exim4', and I have spent many hours
turning around dpkg-reconfiguring exim4-config so many times. I surely
carried close to 100 different tests, since there are so many options to
choose from. What confuses me most is that it does occasionnally seem to
work once or twice, and then I can't reproduce the success.

The problem lies in sending mail, no problem receiving.

No need to use external "esmtp" or "Exim" mail server with Mutt. It comes
compiled with "+USE_SMTP" flag on so if you are using just one e-mail
account, you can configure Mutt itself to send the e-mails directly to
your ISP host.

That is the way I use it with my Gmail account.

Greetings,

I am not sure if my mutt version came compiled with "+USE_SMTP" : how
shall I make sure of this ? In any case, I've just tried disabling my
~/.muttrc conf file, which was copied from my old sarge system, and
contained the following lines :

# set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp -X /tmp/esmtp.log"
# set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oem"
set sendmail="/usr/sbin/exim4"

Once this file removed (it didn't contain much more than that, nothing
that seemed important to me), the default /etc/Muttrc conffile is being
used. I then tried to use mutt this way. Receiving mail did seem to
work, but no way to send anything. In the end of the sending process, it
says : "sent", but nothing gets to destination, and I don't know where
to look for logfiles. By the way, this last test showed that my call to

set sendmail="/usr/sbin/exim4"

which was asked by former .muttrc file, was indeed taken into account,
since I used to get error messages in my local mailbox when trying to
send to external domains while exim4-config was set to local mail only,
which error msg I don't get anymore. Nothing appears any longer in
/var/log/exim4/mainlog, except that retrying of onqueued old failed
tests is still endlessly going on : how should I stop this ?

By the way, I have just also tried re-activating my .muttrc file,
unquoting alternately # set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oem", and
then, for another test : # set sendmail="/usr/bin/esmtp -X
/tmp/esmtp.log". First test gave same result as described above, that
is, no error message, but nothing arrives. Second test sent the
following message where I expected "sent" : "error sending msg. Thread
ended with code 127, Exec error"

Maybe I should try to install esmtp, as it is on my laptop on Ubuntu
Hardy Heron... But I've heard so much about exim4 being so much better,
safer and more versatile, that I might give it some more effort.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 14:55:45 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> No need to use external "esmtp" or "Exim" mail server with Mutt. It
>> comes compiled with "+USE_SMTP" flag on so if you are using just one
>> e-mail account, you can configure Mutt itself to send the e-mails
>> directly to your ISP host.
>>
>> That is the way I use it with my Gmail account.
>>

> I am not sure if my mutt version came compiled with "+USE_SMTP" : how
> shall I make sure of this ?

"mutt -v" will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Bernard

Camaleón wrote:

No need to use external "esmtp" or "Exim" mail server with Mutt. It
comes compiled with "+USE_SMTP" flag on so if you are using just one
e-mail account, you can configure Mutt itself to send the e-mails
directly to your ISP host.

That is the way I use it with my Gmail account.

I am not sure if my mutt version came compiled with "+USE_SMTP" : how
shall I make sure of this ?

"mutt -v" will tell.

All right, "mutt -v" confirmed that my "mutt" v1.5.18 has indeed been
compiled with "+USE_SMTP". "mutt -v" also says :

SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"

Since I thought that sendmail was not installed in this system, I tried
to call man pages :

man sendmail

and the reply was :

"EXIM4 (8)
................. like other MTAs, exim replaces Sendmail...
.................................................. .........................................."

In any case, I still have no result in attempting to send mail from mutt
with that config and those I have tried so far. |

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:47:11 +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> I am not sure if my mutt version came compiled with "+USE_SMTP" : how
>>> shall I make sure of this ?
>>>

>> "mutt -v" will tell.
>>
> All right, "mutt -v" confirmed that my "mutt" v1.5.18 has indeed been
> compiled with "+USE_SMTP".

Then just setup Mutt to use your ISP smtp server. You will need to
fillout the following values in your Mutt's profile file:

***
set smtp_url
http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html#smtp-url

set smtp_pass