Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Mag Gam

Default DNS round robin with NFS

I have 3 NFS servers which are serving the same exact data - ISO images.

I have close to 50 clients who access this data so I manually mount up
1/3 clients to serverA, 1/3 clients to serverB, and the remainder to
serverC.

I was wondering if I can place the 3 NFS server in a pool and have all
the clients access the pool.

Any thoughts?
TIA

Old 01-02-2010, 01:37 AM
Alex Samad

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 05:32:01PM -0500, Mag Gam wrote:
> I have 3 NFS servers which are serving the same exact data - ISO images.
>
> I have close to 50 clients who access this data so I manually mount up
> 1/3 clients to serverA, 1/3 clients to serverB, and the remainder to
> serverC.
>
> I was wondering if I can place the 3 NFS server in a pool and have all
> the clients access the pool.

I an guessing it shouldn't be a problem if they are mounted ro and it
might help to mount via udp

--
Goto, n.:
A programming tool that exists to allow structured programmers

Old 01-02-2010, 03:28 AM
"James Wu"

Title: RE: DNS round robin with NFS

I've never tried this but I assume it should be possible to use DNS to do basic round-robining. All you need to do is have 3 A records for the same hostname.

James

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 AM
Brent Clark

I have 3 NFS servers which are serving the same exact data - ISO images.

I have close to 50 clients who access this data so I manually mount up
1/3 clients to serverA, 1/3 clients to serverB, and the remainder to
serverC.

I was wondering if I can place the 3 NFS server in a pool and have all
the clients access the pool.

Hiya

Use udp, will help re establish connections quickly. Why not look into
LVS thats a good loadbalancing tool.

HTH

Brent Clark