Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Haines Brown

Default xfstt + urxvt + mc causes crash

I'm running debian etch, and installed xfstt to use TT anti-aliased
fonts in my emacs23.

I'm trying out urxvt (rxvt-unicode) in place of xterm. It seems to work
OK, but when I use it to start mc (MidnightCommander), the urxvt
terminal hangs. This prevents my starting xterm, another urxvt, or
logging out or even reboot. I have to do a dirty shutdown.

I assume the problem is a font issue. When I tried mc with plain rxvt,
the line characters in mc were replaced by garbage charcters that seem
to me to represent unknown characters (A-circumflex followed by two
bytes).

I'm running xfstt, but not xfstt:

$ ps aux | grep xfs
root 2897 0.0 0.0 2828 752 ? S 12:28 0:00 /usr/bin/xfstt --daemon
--notcp
root 3202 0.0 0.0 7444 632 ? S 12:29 0:00 /usr/bin/xfstt --daemon
--notcp

So my Type 1 fonts are being offered by the X server instead of xfs.

I run the following command and it returns a lot of lines suggesting
that TT but not Type 1 fonts are being served:

$ fslsfonts -server unix/:7101
-msttcorefonts-courier new-bold-i-normal-bold
-italic-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso8859-1
-bitstream-bernhardmod bt-bold-i-normal-bold
-italic-0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1
-ttf-dejavu-dejavu sans mono-bold-i-normal-bold
-oblique-0-0-0-0-m-0-iso885

When I do to see if Type 1 Courier is served:

$ showfont -fn courier
can't open server "localhost:7100"

it shouldn't be trying to open port 7100 in debian, but 7101.

When I do this, however, I may be getting Type 1:

$ xlsfonts
-adobe-courier-bold-o-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso10646-1

Does this mean Type 1 fonts are being served?

Do I have to be running xfs for mc or urxvt to access Type 1 fonts? Can
I run both xfs and xfstt together?

The font being used by xterm and urxvt are a similar sans, but differ in
size. However, the urxvt font does not look it is anti-aliased.

Before installing urxvt I had installed plain rxvt. While it could start
mc, it could not display the mc line characters, replacing them with two
byte garbage characters.

--

Haines Brown, KB1GRM