Old 01-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Bernard

Default alternate web browser etc...

Hi to Everyone,

I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
(iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.

Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is very
expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something better that Opera...

As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new. Up to now, I
have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as I preferred "pan". I've
heard of "pine" for newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
configure ; this may be wrong. For e-mail, I used to use "staroffice
mail" in the old days when that did exist (So 5.1 and 5.2), and, ever
since then, I am using Thunderbird, that is, Icedove on Debian Lenny.
Alternately, I plan to use 'mutt', which is already up and running on my
systems ever since 2005 or so, of which I have so far only made I an
irregular use. Willing to use it again, I lately spent some time
reconfiguring exim4, but it now seems to operate all right.

Thanks in advance for your insights and advices

Happy New Year to Everyone !

Bernard

Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Stephen Powell

On 2010-01-01 at 11:02:35 -0500, Bernard wrote:
> I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
> (iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
> and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
> something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
> initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
> meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
> reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
> Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.

If you have a GNOME desktop, which is the default desktop with Debian,
the first thing that comes to mind is the Epiphany browser, which is
installed by default. What I'm not sure of is how independent it is
from iceweasel. It uses the same HTML rendering engine (Gecko) that
iceweasel does; so it may share some config files. But that is what
I would investigate first, since it's probably already installed.

Happy New Year

Old 01-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Alan Ianson

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 17:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
>
> I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
> (iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
> and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
> something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
> initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
> meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
> reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
> Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.

Gnome's browser epiphany comes to mind, it's also based on firefox IIRC.
Also have a look at galeon if you need an alternate.

> Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is very
> expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something better that Opera...

I don't think opera needs to be registered any more, haven't looked at
it in a while though. There are debs for it at the opera website, it can
be added to sources.list and installed with apt-get or aptitude &
friends also. Not a bad browser too if you need another.

> As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new. Up to now, I
> have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as I preferred "pan". I've
> heard of "pine" for newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
> configure ; this may be wrong. For e-mail, I used to use "staroffice
> mail" in the old days when that did exist (So 5.1 and 5.2), and, ever
> since then, I am using Thunderbird, that is, Icedove on Debian Lenny.
> Alternately, I plan to use 'mutt', which is already up and running on my
> systems ever since 2005 or so, of which I have so far only made I an
> irregular use. Willing to use it again, I lately spent some time
> reconfiguring exim4, but it now seems to operate all right.

Pine is what I used many moons ago for mail & news. I suppose it might
be a bit old school now but it does work wonderfully. Good if you want a
console mail & news app. There is also tin for newsgroups, also maybe
old school but works well.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

>Alan Ianson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 17:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:
>> Hi to Everyone,
>>
>> I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
>> (iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
>> and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
>> something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
>> initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
>> meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
>> reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
>> Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.
>
> Gnome's browser epiphany comes to mind, it's also based on firefox IIRC.
> Also have a look at galeon if you need an alternate.
>
>> Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is very
>> expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something better that Opera...
>
> I don't think opera needs to be registered any more, haven't looked at
> it in a while though. There are debs for it at the opera website, it can
> be added to sources.list and installed with apt-get or aptitude &
> friends also. Not a bad browser too if you need another.
>
>> As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new. Up to now, I
>> have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as I preferred "pan". I've
>> heard of "pine" for newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
>> configure ; this may be wrong. For e-mail, I used to use "staroffice
>> mail" in the old days when that did exist (So 5.1 and 5.2), and, ever
>> since then, I am using Thunderbird, that is, Icedove on Debian Lenny.
>> Alternately, I plan to use 'mutt', which is already up and running on my
>> systems ever since 2005 or so, of which I have so far only made I an
>> irregular use. Willing to use it again, I lately spent some time
>> reconfiguring exim4, but it now seems to operate all right.
>
> Pine is what I used many moons ago for mail & news. I suppose it might
> be a bit old school now but it does work wonderfully. Good if you want a
> console mail & news app. There is also tin for newsgroups, also maybe
> old school but works well.

Hi, I use KDE has my main DE so Konqueror is a "natural" choice when I
don't want to start Iceweasel with it's saved 10 tabs+ for a quick browse.
I also sometime use Opera (installed from the ".deb" provided on their
website), and lately I have been testing Google Chrome Linux builds
(installed from their ".deb", note that just like Opera the Chrome
package drops a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d to integrate with
Debian's package management, if you don't like it you have to erase it
and update manually).

All those browsers are working more or less fine, minus occasional
problems with flash or java (I'm on amd64), but none come close to
Iceweasel's + extensions features IMHO.

Have a nice time experimenting.

godt nytt Śr to the list.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 05:02:35PM +0100, Bernard wrote:

> Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is very
> expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something better that Opera...
>
> As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new. Up to now, I
> have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as I preferred "pan". I've
> heard of "pine" for newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
> configure ; this may be wrong.

That's correct, it's wrong. Alpine is the replacement for pine and it
uses the same config file as pine. Not hard at all to configure. You can
use it for mail and news although I prefer slrn for news.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 01-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Anthony Baldwin

> I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the
> firefox clone (iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have.
> Iceweasel does fulfill my needs and expectations, but, for
> various reasons, I wish to also have something else too, one
> of these reasons being that it would be initiated with
> alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the meantime,
> this would allow me to test something else, which is the
> reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about
> the same as Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf
> files, bookmarks and so on.
>
> Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is
> very expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something
> better that Opera...
>
> As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new.
> Up to now, I have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as
> I preferred "pan".* I've heard of "pine"* for
> newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
> configure ; this may be wrong. For e-mail, I used to use
> "staroffice mail" in the old days when that did exist (So
> 5.1 and 5.2), and, ever since then, I am using Thunderbird,
> that is, Icedove on Debian Lenny. Alternately, I plan to use
> 'mutt', which is already up and running on my systems ever
> since 2005 or so, of which I have so far only made I an
> irregular use. Willing to use it again, I lately spent some
> time reconfiguring exim4, but it now seems to operate all
> right.
>
> Thanks in advance for your insights and advices
>
> Happy New Year to Everyone !
>
> Bernard

Je te recommande google chrome.
Mais, il ya a beaucoup d'options.

bonn chance
/tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations & interpreting

http://www.baldwinsoftware.com
tcl yer os with a feather

Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
mess-mate

tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

Alan Ianson wrote:

On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 17:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:
Hi to Everyone,

I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
(iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.

I use firefox 3.6 beta4, works great without any problem about java and
other plugins.

mess-mate

Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Jim McCloskey

Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

|> I wish to install an alternate web browser

Google chrome is very good (as fast as was promised as far as I can
see). It's free in both of the relevant senses and it's packaged for
Debian/Ubuntu.

Jim

Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Charlie

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:08:55 -0800 Jim McCloskey <mcclosk@ucsc.edu>
shared this with us all:

>Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:
>
>|> I wish to install an alternate web browser
>
>Google chrome is very good (as fast as was promised as far as I can
>see). It's free in both of the relevant senses and it's packaged for
>Debian/Ubuntu.
>
>Jim

Aha - didn't know it was licensed under GNU?

Thanks for that.

Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524
.................................................. ...

The path:- a question leading to other questions; query is
life. .....anon

.................................................. ...

Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Jim McCloskey

* Charlie (ariestao@clearmail.com.au) wrote:

|> >Google chrome is very good (as fast as was promised as far as I can
|> >see). It's free in both of the relevant senses and it's packaged for
|> >Debian/Ubuntu.
|> >
|> >Jim
|>
|> Aha - didn't know it was licensed under GNU?

No. My understanding is that the parts that Google authored are
under the BSD license, so they can be imported either into open-source
or proprietary projects; subparts that they took from elsewhere are
under a variety of open-source licenses.

Jim