Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Tudod Ki

Default domain redirection how?

I want to redirect a domain:*
"somedomain.eu"
to:
"tothis.eu"
so I edit the "somedomain.eu.hosts" file with vim [appending this two line to the end]:
$ORIGIN eu.somedomain * * *IN * * *CNAME * * * tothis.eu.

then I update the serial, save the file, quit, then:

rndc reload somedomain.eu

but it still doesn't work.how could I redirect the domain with "$ORIGIN"?
do I have to enable something in apache [e.g.: enable the redirection]?
both domain is mine [on this
server]
versions:
apache * * * * * * * * * * 1.3.34-4.1*bind9 * * * * * * * * * * *9.3.4-2etch3
os: Debian Etch
Thank you!
Or any docs/howtos please?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Tudod Ki

no one?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Tudod Ki

how?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 04:00:10 -0800, Tudod Ki wrote:

> I want to redirect a domain:*
> "somedomain.eu"
> to:
> "tothis.eu"
> so I edit the "somedomain.eu.hosts" file with vim [appending this two
> line to the end]:
> Z$ORIGIN eu.somedomain * * *IN * * *CNAME * * * tothis.eu.

AFAIK, CNAME record is not inteded for redirection. CNAME is a kind of
"name aliasing".

I think you will need an "A" record in the event "tothis.eu" had a
dedicated IP address:

somedomain.eu IN A remote_ip_address_of_the_server_tothis.eu

> then I update the serial, save the file, quit, then:
>
> rndc reload somedomain.eu
>
> but it still doesn't work.how could I redirect the domain with
> "$ORIGIN"?
> do I have to enable something in apache [e.g.: enable the redirection]?
> both domain is mine [on this server]
> versions:
> apache * * * * * * * * * * 1.3.34-4.1*bind9 * * * * * * * * * *
>*9.3.4-2etch3
> os: Debian Etch
> Thank you!
> Or any docs/howtos please?

Another approach could be using Apache to handle the domain redirection/
forwarding:

Redirect directive
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/mod/mod_alias.html#redirect

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Chris Davies

Tudod Ki <tudodki88@yahoo.com> very impatiently asked:
> I want to redirect a domain "somedomain.eu" to "tothis.eu"

Reading further, it seems you mean "redirection" in the context of an
apache based website. So...

> so I edit the "somedomain.eu.hosts" file with vim [appending this two
> line to the end]:
> $ORIGIN eu.somedomain * * *IN * * *CNAME * * * tothis.eu.

That seems a very strange thing to do, given it's not possible to mix
CNAME and other types of DNS record.

In file tothis.eu:
$ORIGIN tothis.eu
@ A 192.168.1.1

In file somedomain.eu:
$ORIGIN somedomain.eu
@ A 192.168.1.1 ; Or elsewhere

Now within the apache configuration relating to the somedomain.eu target,
you need a (virtual) host that forces a web redirect to the new target:

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName somedomain.eu
Redirect permanent http://tothis.eu/
</VirtualHost>

> Or any docs/howtos please?

Did you search for any?

http://httpd.apache.org/ is a good reference for Apache stuff.

Chris

Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 PM
"James Wu"

There's two issues at play here.
*
1. DNS: I don't think you can CNAME a domain like that. For
example, you can't CNAME example.com but you can CNAME somehost.example.com. You
have to assign*your domain the*same A record as your other domain.
Bind should be spitting out errors if you try to CNAME like that. Check to make
sure that the domain is first resolving properly. I'd do something like "dig
@4.2.2.1 yourdomain.com".*I use*an outside DNS so that I can see what
results DNS servers are receiving when querying your server, assuming your
server is authoritative.
*
2. Virtual hosts: You need to modify your configuration of
apache to add the virtual host to be the same as the one you
have.
*
Without either, it won't work. If you're still stuck and
don't mind giving us your two domains, it'll be easier to determine whether it's
a virtual host issue or a DNS issue.
*
James