Old 12-31-2009, 09:56 PM
Mark

Default Ethernet & Wifi Weirdness

I'm still mostly a newbie on Linux
(intermediate Mac & Win user). I'm having a strange problem on my
Linux box, which is a Dell e1505 notebook.

I installed Lenny the other day. My home router's wifi is set up with
WPA personal and mac address filtering (and I didn't know to plan ahead
for this), so Lenny's installation routine did not set up the wifi.
However, regular wired ethernet worked. I then installed VirtualBox
(latest version) with a WinXP Pro guest (for my wife). Wired Internet
piped through VBox into WinXP just fine.

Then I started doing rookie things. I browsed the Internet looking for
ways to get the wifi working. I apt-get installed a few things; got the
program Wifi-Wiz, and configured it to use NDISwrapper without really
knowing what I was doing. Beyond this account, I can't really recall
what I did to the system. Here's what resulted from my efforts: the
Lenny installation continued to have working wired Internet. I
successfully got (using auto-DHCP) a good IP address from the wireless
router, though the address periodically switched between 192.168.1.24
and 192.168.1.39 for no reason that I could tell. My Gnome desktop was
not getting wireless Internet: that is, Iceweasel couldn't open any
URLs unless the ethernet cable was plugged in. However, when I started
up WinXP in VirtualBox, WinXP *did* get wireless Internet.

In trying to fix this (again, blindly) -- i.e. get wireless to work on
Gnome as well as on VirtualBox's WinXP machine -- I somehow wrecked the
network entirely. Now when I boot up no Internet of any kind works,
wired, wireless, Gnome, VBox-WinXP.

Is there a newbie-friendly manual somewhere that I can use to configure
the networking from scratch? Any thoughts about what might be going
wrong?

- Mark

Old 12-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Kevin Ross

Mark wrote:
[...]

The wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi) has the information you need.
NDISWrapper should only be used as a last resort. It uses Windows
drivers in Linux. It's better to use native Linux drivers, unless you
have a wi-fi card that doesn't have a Linux driver. What wireless
network card do you have?

After that, just install network-manager and network-manager-gnome, then
on your desktop, in the notification area, you'll have an icon that,
when you click on it, will list the wireless networks it finds, and will
let you connect to any of them. WPA is handled for you.

Hope this helps!
-- Kevin

Old 12-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Rob Owens

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:56:25PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> I'm still mostly a newbie on Linux (intermediate Mac & Win user). I'm
> having a strange problem on my Linux box, which is a Dell e1505 notebook.
>
> I installed Lenny the other day. My home router's wifi is set up with
> WPA personal and mac address filtering (and I didn't know to plan ahead
> for this), so Lenny's installation routine did not set up the wifi.
> However, regular wired ethernet worked. I then installed VirtualBox
> (latest version) with a WinXP Pro guest (for my wife). Wired Internet
> piped through VBox into WinXP just fine.
>
> Then I started doing rookie things. I browsed the Internet looking for
> ways to get the wifi working. I apt-get installed a few things; got the
> program Wifi-Wiz, and configured it to use NDISwrapper without really
> knowing what I was doing. Beyond this account, I can't really recall
> what I did to the system. Here's what resulted from my efforts: the
> Lenny installation continued to have working wired Internet. I
> successfully got (using auto-DHCP) a good IP address from the wireless
> router, though the address periodically switched between 192.168.1.24
> and 192.168.1.39 for no reason that I could tell. My Gnome desktop was
> not getting wireless Internet: that is, Iceweasel couldn't open any URLs
> unless the ethernet cable was plugged in. However, when I started up
> WinXP in VirtualBox, WinXP *did* get wireless Internet.
>
> In trying to fix this (again, blindly) -- i.e. get wireless to work on
> Gnome as well as on VirtualBox's WinXP machine -- I somehow wrecked the
> network entirely. Now when I boot up no Internet of any kind works,
> wired, wireless, Gnome, VBox-WinXP.
>
> Is there a newbie-friendly manual somewhere that I can use to configure
> the networking from scratch? Any thoughts about what might be going
> wrong?

Run 'lspci' and let us know what wireless card you have. If you've got
a laptop, I bet it's a broadcom something-or-other and you need
b43-fwcutter from the contrib or non-free repo (can't remember which).

-Rob

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Mark

On 12/31/09 7:19 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

Run 'lspci' and let us know what wireless card you have. If you've got
a laptop, I bet it's a broadcom something-or-other and you need
b43-fwcutter from the contrib or non-free repo (can't remember which).

-Rob

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
(rev 02)

0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
[Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

At the moment, I'm not able to connect to the Internet (with the Linux
box -- I'm writing from my Mac) either wired or wirelessly. But I used
to get wired Internet, so the Broadcom card did work at one point.

Should I remove the NDISwrapper while I'm at it?

- Mark

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Mark

Dear Paul, Rob, & Kevin,

Editing the /etc/network/interfaces file, and then restarting the
networking service did the trick! I now have wireless Internet. Let's
hope I still have it tomorrow. Thanks!

- Mark

On 12/31/09 6:25 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

On Thu December 31 2009, Mark wrote:

Is there a newbie-friendly manual somewhere that I can use to configure
the networking from scratch? Any thoughts about what might be going wrong?

most of your networking CONFIG files are in /etc/network.
the MAIN file you want to SAVE after it works is "interfaces" .
this is the file that sets up your local, eth0 ( wired) and eth1(wireless).

here is my interfaces file:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#new dhcp setup
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
#allow-hotplug eth0
#auto eth0

# static setup
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.10.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
dns-nameservers 192.168.10.1 4.2.2.3 208.67.222.222
gateway 192.168.10.1
-----------

sometimes, when I want to change to dhcp, I uncomment the DHCP setup, comment
out the static setup and it looks like this:

#new dhcp setup
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug eth0

Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Freeman

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:56:25PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> I'm still mostly a newbie on Linux (intermediate Mac & Win user). I'm
> having a strange problem on my Linux box, which is a Dell e1505 notebook.
>

> In trying to fix this (again, blindly) -- i.e. get wireless to work on
> Gnome as well as on VirtualBox's WinXP machine -- I somehow wrecked the
> network entirely. Now when I boot up no Internet of any kind works, wired,
> wireless, Gnome, VBox-WinXP.

A lenny kernel should have all the support that is needed for a modern Dell
wireless.

Insure that module-assistant is installed.

$ su -c module-assistant > update

module-assistant > prepare

module-assistant > select > [bcm4400, bcm5700, ipw2100, ap2200, as
indicated by lspci (the latter two being Intel]

module-assistant > build

module-assistant > install

Old 01-01-2010, 06:40 AM
Freeman

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 05:56:25PM -0500, Mark wrote:
> I'm still mostly a newbie on Linux (intermediate Mac & Win user). I'm
> having a strange problem on my Linux box, which is a Dell e1505 notebook.
>
> I installed Lenny the other day. My home router's wifi is set up with WPA
> personal and mac address filtering (and I didn't know to plan ahead for
> the networking from scratch? Any thoughts about what might be going wrong?
>
> - Mark

Sorry, I was unclear (new year's revelry).

The command is the "su -c module-assistant" . The rest is once inside the
module-assistant dialog.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman