Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
"Wayne

Default Getting connected to Verizon 3G network

Hi guys

I an still working on getting connected to the 3G network. Actually
I am connected but I can't connect to the net.

Brief history. I am now using a D-Link DWA-556 PciE card. It has an
Atheros AR5008 chip and I am using the mad-wifi ath5k driver code. I
can connect to the Verizon MiFi , using wicd, get a ip address for the
ath0 interface, and stay connected but, as mentioned above, I can't
connect to the net.

Running route -n displays only the ath ip address. Without a route
to the gateway I am stuck. Checking windows machines that 'can' connect

I see that they all get a different gateway addresses. I can't add them
to the routing table because route won't allow any of them. Google has
not found any posts/information about using the MiFi with Linux except

the ones I have posted here.

The above is on testing. I did have a 30 minute connection on stable
while using a Netgear Wg111v2 using the 64 bit driver from the Realtek
site <http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/> for the RTL8187L used in
this USB adapter. I used wicd and then copied all of the files over to
testing, which I mainly use. After verifing that all the the conf files
were the same, I tried connecting to the MiFi. I connected, got an IP
address and when I then clicked anything else the machine crashed. By
crashed I mead to froze completely and required a power off. I then
tried using network-manager and it crashed the system as well. That is
when I put in the D-Link card and it is not causing a crash. I went
back to stable reluctantly, and was not able to connect again due to the
fact that the gateway address, I stumbled upon the first time, was no
longer the right one this time.

This leads to my question(s). How the heck do you find the gateway
address? I thought that wicd/Network-Manager took care of that but
there is no mention of gateway in the docs other then adding one in the
.conf files.

I would rather stay away from ndiswrapper solutions, if I can. As
the Verizon MiFi2200 Personal HotSpot is reported to be running on
linux, I would hope that I can keep windows software out of the equation.

Any suggestions on any of the above are welcomed. I really would like
to get this beast working.

Thanks and a Happy New Year to you all.

Wayne

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
green

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote at 2009-12-30 10:24 -0600:
> Brief history. I am now using a D-Link DWA-556 PciE card. It has an
> Atheros AR5008 chip and I am using the mad-wifi ath5k driver code. I
> can connect to the Verizon MiFi , using wicd, get a ip address for the
> ath0 interface, and stay connected but, as mentioned above, I can't
> connect to the net.
>
> Running route -n displays only the ath ip address. Without a route to
> the gateway I am stuck. Checking windows machines that 'can' connect
> I see that they all get a different gateway addresses. I can't add them
> to the routing table because route won't allow any of them. Google has
> not found any posts/information about using the MiFi with Linux except
> the ones I have posted here.

Try this:
1. Find out IP of ath0 connection using 'ifconfig ath0' (ex. 192.168.0.25)

2. Try pinging the first IP on that network (ping 192.168.0.1)

3. If that works, set the default route to that IP
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

4. Then try 'ping google.com'

Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 AM
"Wayne

green wrote:

[...]

The MiFi is supposed to assign IP addresses in the range if 192.168.1.2
to .10. It does when I had the Netgear WG111v2 Connected ( the one time
I got it working). Using the DWA-556 on testing it assigns an IP of
169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected. Verizon support says they
don't understand why/how that is happening. I spoke with a MiFi expert
who then spent 10 minutes conferring with other (tier 2) experts. It was
their opinion that the MiFi hub should work with linux but they have not
had any reports that it, in fact, does

2. Try pinging the first IP on that network (ping 192.168.0.1)

I and only ping the above 169. addr.

3. If that works, set the default route to that IP
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

Since the only route in the routing table is 169.254.0.0, I can't add
the 192 addr. I have tried though.

4. Then try 'ping google.com'

Oh I so wish I could.

As I have never had a problem connecting to an open AP, I even tried
opening up the MiFi. Windows connected and could go to the net but when
I tried the same on linux, I again recieved the 169 IP address which
resulted in no joy, again. A grep of my whole system could not find any
169 addresses. I am about out of Ideas except for the ndiswrapper
option. I have just downloaded two 64 bit windows XP drivers and will

have to give them a try, if I can't find any other thing to try.

Maybe I should try getting on without any Network Managers(?). I never
used them before but went that route because 'everyone else is using
them'. :-(

Thanks for the reply. If you have any other suggestions, I am very open
to try them.

TIA

Wayne

Old 12-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 12/30/2009 7:50 PM:

> 169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.

A little IPv4 network education is in order:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927

Your interface is auto self configuring a link local address because it is
unable to contact a DHCP server. Please read the RFC to better understand the
process.

Your next step is to troubleshoot why your interface isn't able to contact a
DHCP server.

--
Stan

Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 PM
"Wayne

Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 12/30/2009 7:50 PM:

169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.

A little IPv4 network education is in order:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3927

Your interface is auto self configuring a link local address because it is
unable to contact a DHCP server. Please read the RFC to better understand the
process.

Your next step is to troubleshoot why your interface isn't able to contact a
DHCP server.

Thanks for the link Stan. After reading that I went back and checked
all of the packages I had installed/ Purged/removed in my efforts to get
this working. I found that I had to reinstall dhcp3* which had been
removed when I tried different network managers.

In addition I removed all of the IPv6 address in /etc/hosts. just in case.

I no longer get an IP address, the MiFi fails to give me one. It, wicd,
no longer crashes the system when I get that default IP address. So now
I can concentrate on what is bothering the MiFi about giving me an IP.

Thanks much again. You helped narrow the possibilities, and that't
helps a lot.

Best Regards

Wayne

Oh, and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:58 AM
green

Stan Hoeppner wrote at 2009-12-30 21:04 -0600:
> Wayne <linuxtwo@gmail.com> put forth on 12/30/2009 7:50 PM:
> > 169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.
>
> Your interface is auto self configuring a link local address because it is
> unable to contact a DHCP server. Please read the RFC to better understand the
> process.
>
> Your next step is to troubleshoot why your interface isn't able to contact a
> DHCP server.

Have you tried resetting the MiFi?

Otherwise, I suggest statically assigning the IP 192.168.1.11 to your wireless
interface, then browsing to 192.168.1.1 and checking the configuration of the
router.

After setting a static address (and without configuration changes), you may be
able to connect to the internet by adding a default route through 192.168.1.1
(using the command I suggested I my previous message).

Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
"Wayne

green wrote:

169.254.213.81 every time I get it connected.

Your interface is auto self configuring a link local address because it is
unable to contact a DHCP server. Please read the RFC to better understand the
process.

Your next step is to troubleshoot why your interface isn't able to contact a
DHCP server.

Have you tried resetting the MiFi?

Only if a Winbloz system isn't connected. Every 10 minutes if no one
else is connected, so yes sometimes.

Otherwise, I suggest statically assigning the IP 192.168.1.11 to your wireless
interface, then browsing to 192.168.1.1 and checking the configuration of the
router.

Tried that and a bunch more and I have only been connected twice.
30-40% of the time wicd or network manager locks up the system.

After setting a static address (and without configuration changes), you may be
able to connect to the internet by adding a default route through 192.168.1.1
(using the command I suggested I my previous message).

Tried that but didn't get connected. Can't connect to the net even when
wicd gets a connection and puts the default gw to 192.168.1.1, which it
doesn't do very often. Nothing seems to be repeatable except not being

able to connect to the net. ;-(

Thanks again

Wayne