Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Florian Kulzer

Default dpkg -l output (was: how to put packages on hold -- permanently)

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 04:13:43 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

[...]

> I have no idea what the first
> three lines of the dpkg -l output below are trying to tell me.
>

> :/# dpkg -l postfix
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name Version Description
> +++-===========================-===========================-================================================== ====================

The header of the dpkg -l output tells you how to interpret the first
three characters in the listing for each package. The pipes and slashes
are meant as ascii art lines to indicate which position corresponds to
which line in the legend; the uppercase letters in the legend tell you
which character will be used as an abbreviation. In your example:

> ii postfix 2.5.5-1.1 High-performance mail transport agent

"ii " means Desired=Install, Status=Installed, Error=none; this is the
normal output for properly installed packages and easy to remember, but
if you need to understand less common cases then it is helpful to have
the legend included in the output.

--
Regards, |
Florian |