Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Dal

Default Xorg "random" crashes on lenny

Hi, I've been having a problem with crashing Xorg for a while. I really
don't have no idea why this happend. I tried to search this mailing
list, but I've not found anything.

So here's the problem, actually I already mentioned it. It just crashes.

I used to use GDM for long time but than the X started to crash, so I
thought that it might be because of GDM, so I switched to Slim, but
still the same. Now I'm using KDM... and .. no change.

It happens offten when I switch to console and than back, than X crashes
and KDM gets them back, but whole session is lost. Also it happens when
there is some higher usage on the computer.

I attach the Xorg.0.log, there is just only backtrace, not useful for
me, might for someone here. Also I attach my xorg.conf.

And here is some information about my system:

Debian testing/unstable mix (because of some applications)
here is list of installed packages realitioned to xserver
ii xserver-xorg
1:7.2-5 the X.Org X server
ii xserver-xorg-core
2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12lenny1 X.Org X server -- core server
ii xserver-xorg-dev
2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12lenny1 X.Org X server -- development files
ii xserver-xorg-input-all
1:7.2-5 the X.Org X server -- input driver
metapacka
ii xserver-xorg-input-evdev
1:1.1.5-3 X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-kbd
1:1.2.0-1+1.2.1 X.Org X server -- keyboard input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-mouse
1:1.2.2-1 X.Org X server -- mouse input driver
ii xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
0.14.7~git20070517-2 Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree86
ii xserver-xorg-input-wacom
0.7.7.11-1 X.Org X server -- wacom input driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-all
1:7.2-5 the X.Org X server -- output driver
metapack
ii xserver-xorg-video-intel
2:2.1.0-2 X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx
display d
# there are all xserver-xorg-video-* but I use intel driver so I think
they are not important.

Also I'm running 2.6.23.12 kernel, but happened with 2.6.22.1, 2.6.23.1,
2.6.23.11, so I think this is not relevant too.

Display device:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

If there is anything else what should help to find out the problem just
tell.

Thank you very much for help,
Dal.
# /etc/X11/xorg.conf (xorg X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/truetype"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "dri"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "synaptics"
Load "vbe"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us,cz_qwerty,es"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:sclk_toggle"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "synaptics"
Identifier "Synaptics TouchPad"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.18"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.0015"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "External Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "GENIUS Tablet"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Driver "wizardpen"
Option "Device" "/dev/tablet-event"
Option "TopX" "2199"
Option "TopY" "3598"
Option "BottomX" "30325"
Option "BottomY" "29278"
Option "MaxX" "30325"
Option "MaxY" "29278"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML"
Driver "intel"
# Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "LinearAlloc" "8192"
Option "CacheLines" "1980"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
VideoRam 262144
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML VGA"
Driver "intel"
# Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "true"
Option "LinearAlloc" "8192"
Option "CacheLines" "1980"
BusID "PCI:0:2:1"
VideoRam 262144
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "LCD Panel"
Option "DPMS" "on"
Option "Monitor-LVDS" "LVDS Monitor"
HorizSync 28-64
VertRefresh 43-60
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "External VGA"
Option "DPMS" "off"
Option "Monitor-VGA" "VGA Monitor"
HorizSync 28-64
VertRefresh 43-60
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 0"
Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML"
Monitor "LCD Panel"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x800"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen 1"
Device "Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML VGA"
Monitor "External VGA"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Screen 0"
Screen "Screen 1" RightOf "Screen 0"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "External Mouse" "SendCoreEvents"
## InputDevice "GENIUS Tablet" "AlwaysCore"
InputDevice "Synaptics TouchPad" "CorePointer"
Option "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Ron Johnson

Hi, I've been having a problem with crashing Xorg for a while. I really
don't have no idea why this happend. I tried to search this mailing
list, but I've not found anything.

So here's the problem, actually I already mentioned it. It just crashes.

I used to use GDM for long time but than the X started to crash, so I
thought that it might be because of GDM, so I switched to Slim, but
still the same. Now I'm using KDM... and .. no change.

It happens offten when I switch to console and than back, than X crashes
and KDM gets them back, but whole session is lost. Also it happens when
there is some higher usage on the computer.

I attach the Xorg.0.log, there is just only backtrace, not useful for
me, might for someone here. Also I attach my xorg.conf.

And here is some information about my system:

[snip]

If there is anything else what should help to find out the problem just
tell.

Signal 11 is SIGSEGV, a segmentation violation that happens when a
process is trying to access illegal memory (usually address 0).

File a bug against xserver-xorg-video-intel.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate vegetables!"
unknown

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Dal wrote:
Hi, I've been having a problem with crashing Xorg for a while. I really
don't have no idea why this happend. I tried to search this mailing
list, but I've not found anything.

So here's the problem, actually I already mentioned it. It just crashes.

<snip>

What's the history of this problem:
Where does this particular installation come from?
Has it always happened?

Hugo

Old 01-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Dal

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Dal wrote:
Hi, I've been having a problem with crashing Xorg for a while. I
really don't have no idea why this happend. I tried to search this
mailing list, but I've not found anything.

So here's the problem, actually I already mentioned it. It just crashes.

<snip>

What's the history of this problem:
Where does this particular installation come from?
Has it always happened?
I installed Etch and than upgraded to Lenny and Unstable together as I
mentioned in the first email. It happens with recent version of xorg in
lenny. I've tried to install unstable Xorg and it seems to be ok now,
but it's soon to tell for sure.

Hugo

Old 01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
gusti

Dal wrote:

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Dal wrote:
Hi, I've been having a problem with crashing Xorg for a while. I
really don't have no idea why this happend. I tried to search this
mailing list, but I've not found anything.

So here's the problem, actually I already mentioned it. It just
crashes.

<snip>

What's the history of this problem:
Where does this particular installation come from?
Has it always happened?
I installed Etch and than upgraded to Lenny and Unstable together as I
mentioned in the first email. It happens with recent version of xorg
in lenny. I've tried to install unstable Xorg and it seems to be ok
now, but it's soon to tell for sure.

Hugo

First, (and I'm sorry for say that) I think that if you want to avoid
unnecessary problems you must stay in stable versions.
But if you refuse to back to a stable version I must ask which computer
do you have. Xorg is hardly connected with your hardware, for example I
know about some problems with the driver of the pads in the NoteBooks.
Second, I don't know which repository are you using, but I recommend
to you, to use only one. Remove all the packages from Xorg and the
packages related to the Xorg package. And finally install every think
again. Sorry, but I think that if you want to work with a unstable
version (I don't know why?) at least you must be sure that you are
using only one repository. Xorg is a very complex and sensible project.

After all this, I think that will be less difficult to help you.

Regards,
Gustavo Halperin