Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Lukas Ruf

Default how to put packages on hold -- permanently

Dear all

Some packges, for example nano, tasksel, aptitude or
texlive-pstricks-doc, I do not want to have installed.

However, when I set them on hold by

echo nano hold | dpkg --set-selections
echo tasksel hold | dpkg --set-selections
echo aptitude hold | dpkg --set-selections
echo texlive-pstricks-doc hold | dpkg --set-selections

the hold-settings are ignored by dselect or by apt-get.

Is there anywhere a setting that I can make dselect and apt-get obey
to my hold-settings permanently?

Thanks

wbr,
Lukas
--
Lukas Ruf <http://www.lpr.ch> | Ad Personam
Consecom <http://www.consecom.com> | Ad Laborem

Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue,29.Dec.09, 23:21:51, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Some packges, for example nano, tasksel, aptitude or
> texlive-pstricks-doc, I do not want to have installed.

[...]

> Is there anywhere a setting that I can make dselect and apt-get obey
> to my hold-settings permanently?

You could pin them to a value less than 0, see 'man apt_preferences' for
details.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Javier Barroso

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Lukas Ruf <ruf@rawip.org> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Some packges, for example nano, tasksel, aptitude or
> texlive-pstricks-doc, I do not want to have installed.
>
> However, when I set them on hold by
>
> *echo nano hold | dpkg --set-selections
> *echo tasksel hold | dpkg --set-selections
> *echo aptitude *hold | dpkg --set-selections
> *echo texlive-pstricks-doc hold | dpkg --set-selections
>
> the hold-settings are ignored by dselect or by apt-get.
>
> Is there anywhere a setting that I can make dselect and apt-get obey
> to my hold-settings permanently?
Try instruction from Debian FAQ (use = in dselect or complete set selections):
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkg_basics.en.html#s-puttingonhold

But maybe necessary use pinning, I don't known if you can hold a
package which is not installed. May be giving it a "1" value in its
pinning do the trick.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Robert David

Did you consider using aptitude as your main package manager?? It will solve
these problems easily. I just hold packages that I need to be hold and
aptitude works great.

I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday
package management.

Robert.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM
Mark

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Robert David <robert.david.public@gmail.com> wrote:

I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday

package management.

Robert.

Probably because lots of official Debian on-line help says to use apt-get (such as http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs, and even the Installation Manual here http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s03.html.en#id2770167).* If the user is relatively new to Debian like me, they probably just followed directions.

Mark

Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Lukas Ruf

Dear all

sorry for being off thread.

Thanks for your help. The hint by Andrei solved my problem.

In /etc/apt/preferences, I marked the packages as Prio *-1*:

Package: nano
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: aptitude
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: tasksel
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: -1

Package: tasksel-data
Pin: release testing
Pin-Priority: -1

and all the annoyances are gone.

The problem with "hold" is that the front-ends overrule the
package state for important packages, obviously. Using dselect's
"=" or aptitude <package> hold did not solve my problem.

Regarding your question, Robert, why so many people still
use dselect and apt-get: ... because they simply prefer to.
When I started using Debian back in 1999, I became acquainted
with dselect -- as I have been using vim in xterm, and fvwm
since 1993. For me, this is one of the great advantages of
Debian to give the user the freedom to use what they prefer.

All the best for 2010!

wbr,
Lukas

Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Robert David put forth on 12/29/2009 5:20 PM:

> I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday
> package management.

I started using aptitude after upgrading from Etch to Lenny. I now use it
exclusively instead of apt-*. It's much more powerful and user friendly, and
the package search function returns more relevant and limited results. For instance

:/$ aptitude search postf
:/$ apt-cache search postf

aptitude only returns packages whose name contains "postf"

apt-cache search returns the same ones containing "postf" but also all kinds of
stuff that is only tangentially related to "postfix", which apt-cache search
_assumes_ is what you're searching for. In some circumstances I might prefer
the apt-cache search results, as these can inform you of packages you didn't
previously know about, and which are handy, such as pflogsumm, which doesn't
show up in the aptitude search results. I suggest people play with both and
figure out which of the two works best in a given situation. apt-* can still be
more useful in some circumstances. Then again, maybe aptitude can do all the
same things with cli switches. I've not played with it enough yet. So far I
really like it.

Also, either I never became completely familiar with apt-* functions, or
aptitude show is completely new. I love it. I can get detailed package
information using it and find out if a package is currently installed or not.

--
Stan

Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,30.Dec.09, 03:32:02, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Robert David put forth on 12/29/2009 5:20 PM:
>
> > I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday
> > package management.
>
> I started using aptitude after upgrading from Etch to Lenny. I now use it
> exclusively instead of apt-*. It's much more powerful and user friendly, and
> the package search function returns more relevant and limited results. For instance
>
> :/$ aptitude search postf
> :/$ apt-cache search postf
>
> aptitude only returns packages whose name contains "postf"

Actually I prefer apt-cache for simple searches (use -n if you only want
package names) because it's faster. aptitude can also search in
descriptions (although slower than apt-cache), but it really shines if
you are doing more complex searches.

I prefer to ask dpkg about installed packages, it should know best

Regards,
Andrei

Old 12-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Andrei Popescu put forth on 12/30/2009 3:41 AM:

> I prefer to ask dpkg about installed packages, it should know best

I find the aptitude show results more useful. I have no idea what the first
three lines of the dpkg -l output below are trying to tell me.

:/# dpkg -l postfix
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name Version Description
+++-===========================-===========================-================================================== ====================
ii postfix 2.5.5-1.1 High-performance
mail transport agent

:/# aptitude show postfix
Package: postfix
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.5.5-1.1
Section: mail
Maintainer: LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>
Uncompressed Size: 2793k
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libdb4.6, libsasl2-2, libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8f-5),
debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, netbase, adduser (>=
3.48), dpkg (>= 1.8.3), lsb-base (>= 3.0-6), ssl-cert
Suggests: procmail, postfix-mysql, postfix-pgsql, postfix-ldap, postfix-pcre,
sasl2-bin, libsasl2-modules, resolvconf, postfix-cdb,
mail-reader, ufw
Conflicts: libnss-db (< 2.2-3), mail-transport-agent, postfix-tls, smail
Replaces: mail-transport-agent, postfix-tls
Provides: mail-transport-agent, postfix-tls
Postfix is Wietse Venema's mail transport agent that started life as an
alternative to the widely-used Sendmail program. Postfix
attempts to be fast, easy to administer, and secure, while at the same time
being sendmail compatible enough to not upset existing
users. Thus, the outside has a sendmail-ish flavor, but the inside is
completely different.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Consultores Agropecuarios

El mié, 30-12-2009 a las 00:20 +0100, Robert David escribió:
> Did you consider using aptitude as your main package manager?? It will solve
> these problems easily. I just hold packages that I need to be hold and
> aptitude works great.
>
> I dont understand why so many people today use pure apt-get for everyday
> package management.
>
> Robert.

I prefer apt-get and dselect, because they are simply clear. As example,
aptitude used the command # aptitude upgrade, but now it is aptitude
safe-upgrade; it is absolutely absurd, because the word "safe" can have
any meaning except safe! if i use safe-upgrade, it installs buggy
packages, then where is the safe-upgrade?

Another example is when i use apt-buglist or something similar; aptitude
offers me many unclear options, and the most options offered are totally
unclear. In short, i am not able to spend my time learning aptitude in
detail; i prefer simplicity, "Keep it simple stupid"