Old 12-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Software suggestion: reading Guttenberg plaintext ebooks

What software is recommended for reading plaintext ebooks? I have been
opening the documents in Firefox, but maybe there is something better?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Glenn English

On Dec 29, 2009, at 1:24 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> What software is recommended for reading plaintext ebooks? I have been
> opening the documents in Firefox, but maybe there is something better?

vi :-)

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:24:28 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> What software is recommended for reading plaintext ebooks? I have been
> opening the documents in Firefox, but maybe there is something better?

I use to print the HTML page into PDF and then open the file with Evince
(or any PDF reader). The output file usually keeps a very good format for
computer display reading, I mean, margins and text structure.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 12-29-2009, 08:06 PM
"shampavman.cg"

Glenn English wrote:

What software is recommended for reading plaintext ebooks? I have been
opening the documents in Firefox, but maybe there is something better?

vi :-)

I would actually agree, but feels a little cumbersome i guess..
you can try gedit ;-)

Shampavman c.g
www.shampavman.wordpress.com

Old 12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
"Willie"

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:36 +0530, "shampavman.cg"
<shampavman.cg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Glenn English wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 2009, at 1:24 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> >

> >> What software is recommended for reading plaintext ebooks? I have been
> >> opening the documents in Firefox, but maybe there is something better?
> >>

> > vi :-)
> >

> I would actually agree, but feels a little cumbersome i guess..
> you can try gedit ;-)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Shampavman c.g

I recall a decent little ebook reader in the ubuntu UNR release. It
allowed you to rotate the page 90 degrees on screen so you could hold a
netbook in your hand like a real book and have a realistic aspect ratio.
You could probably get the source from the ubuntu/canonical
repositories?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
John Hasler

What's wrong with gutenbrowser?